Gen 5 whipple race port

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
Bro that looks sick !!! whats your combo? auto? My tuner told all of us cobra guys back in the day, to go turbo. He said, all of us blower guys, are going to buy, sell, buy, sell, buy, sell to the new latest and greatest. And he was right lol. we all went from the 2.2 kb, 2.3 whipple, 2.6 kb, the tvs, 3.4 whipple, and all we did was go in circles, gaining minimal power and still being around the same HP levels. He was saying this when the HP turbo kits were out. Not HPP, HP. People used to bash that kit and said it was junk bc of fitment issue. I dont know, two of my friends had it and it was a solid ass kit. Not for nothing, It was twin turbo, bottom mount kit, with k member and suspension. Full kit, for 5 grand. one of my friends who had a cobra went 8.30's blowing up at the track due to a faulty injector.

Custom 80mm from work turbo
Built 6r80
Holley efi
Motor and heads done by panhandle performance
Turbo fab work and tuning done by
Innovative street technologies

stangfreak

Established Member
Dudes... I agree. Turbo is the way to go.
Ive invested so much into turning my cobra into 90% track with the whipple that it would hurt to switch. Plus the fact I would feel bad getting rid of a blower for a turbo. For me I wouldnt have anything that makes it feel like a terminator remaining... lol. 9in, mvb auto, and whipple currently.

The reason I havent upgraded to a gen5 is they are a couple years old now. Whipple is always improving and im tempted to hold out for whatever comes out next.
yea I totally understand. you put in a lot work and hate to just switch it up. For me to take a blower car, and turn it basically into a 99-01 cobra, I just dont want to change everything over and build a "N/A" setup just to go turbo so to day. upper lower intake plus all the other pieces you need to convert. If I had a car that started off with no blower, I would do it. Its easier.

My buddy who went 8.30's with his twin turbo auto , had a 2.8 mammoth kb with a 4r70w, solid rear, stock motor setup. I know it went mid to low 9's. But he said once he went turbo, the car turned into an animal. He said on 12lbs on the street, not many cars beat him unless they had something similar or more.

stangfreak

Established Member
About not getting the gen 5. I said the same thing. If we keep thinking that something better is going to come out, we will never really enjoy the car. we went from having apten ported eatons, to steggy ported eatons, 2.2L kenne bells to the whipple 4.0. Everything under the sun. If we were always waiting for the latest and greatest, our cars will remain stock. Out of all the blowers, the gen 5 whipple is the most promising to make lots of power. BUT, look how long that took to come out. I spoke to someone at whipple, and a few other guys, and I don't think nothing crazy will be coming out for the cobra. Maybe they may come out with something else, but nothing that will CRUSH the gen 5. The 3.8 I was told, wont be available for the cobra. so, I am not sure what else can come out.

If the gen 5 doesn't produce the power you desire, then you have to go turbo. I think a 5.0 boss block, stroked out maybe to a 323ci motor? more compression, custom cams, heads, e85, you can make over 1,000rwhp. Or, you would have to start with a fresh platform like a coyote. Just the heads alone on the coyote, are better than the 03 cobra's. And, the whipples for the coyotes, are WAY better than the cobras. First, they offer a 3.8L blower and they are inverted. The intercooler is on top of the blower. one of the guys at whipple told me, that is another reason why the coyotes make more power and run harder. Its the coyote whipple design.

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
I did a basic rebuild with more compression, ported heads and custom cams. My 2.9 does an excellent job so its hard to justify a new blower for maybe 100hp.

Also, the new VMP intercooler and J2 intercoolers flow so much better than the OEM units which were a big bottleneck for high hp applications.

Allen saw massive temp drops with the VMP unit and when I switched to the VMP IC the flow rate was drastically improved. Im looking forward to seeing how it performs.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
The kit started out as a CG fab hot and cold side. Where the turbo was in the middle and exhaust out the driver side. We could not get the turbo to fit in the center (T6 borg s480 based). Had to remove the ac and push the radiator all the way forward etc. on the cold side the CG fab inlet and outlet were on the same side and that caused a lot of piping to be super close so we modified the Intercooler and now the inlet and outlet are on opposite sides.
Resized_20211029_105900.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Attachments

• Resized_20211029_110342.jpeg
    Resized_20211029_110342.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 69

stangfreak

Established Member
I did a basic rebuild with more compression, ported heads and custom cams. My 2.9 does an excellent job so its hard to justify a new blower for maybe 100hp.

Also, the new VMP intercooler and J2 intercoolers flow so much better than the OEM units which were a big bottleneck for high hp applications.

Allen saw massive temp drops with the VMP unit and when I switched to the VMP IC the flow rate was drastically improved. Im looking forward to seeing how it performs.
I was wondering how the vmp IC performed. Thats good news.

Users who are viewing this thread