Gen 3 2.9 Whipple upgrade?

V8Flexin

Established Member
Anyone have any results on the gen 3 2.9 whipple for the gt500's? Trying to weight the performance between it, the vanilla 2.3 tvs's, and the upgraded 2.3 tvs's from vmp. Want to get the best bang for buck for a daily driven 07 gt500. The goal is to hit between 700-750rwhp on 93. Also considering a small shot to help exorcise any potential random highway demon encounters.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1st usa car

Established Member
07 no knock sensors -- probably best to run the lowest boost you can, while reaching your goal. May want to consider the new GEN 3 VMP TVS.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
Between 650-705 should be good on stock internals with 93. Could stretch it to 725 but on these 07-09 motors I would start to worry/ wonder how long do I have.

V8Flexin

Established Member
93 isn't unreasonable for 700rwhp as long as I keep iat2's and afr in check. And considering I run a killer chiller that isn't hard to do. Of course if my iat2 temps are high I'm not going to put the hammer down. Also after checking pricing again it looks like a 3.4 Whipple makes more sense over the 2.9 at $500 price difference. The vanilla Ford 2.3 tvs is $1500 cheaper than the vmp gen2r so I'm not sure if the gen2r is worth the extra $.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Between 650-705 should be good on stock internals with 93. Could stretch it to 725 but on these 07-09 motors I would start to worry/ wonder how long do I have.

The motors are strong and wouldn't be the issue. The problem is that there isnt knock sensors and if you get 1 bad tank of 93 gas at 700-750hp theres a good chance things would go boom. By the time you realize there is an issue, its already too late. Gotta have some safe room. 650-700hp is playing it safe. Now spike it with some race gas or maybe even torco and your hp goals will be fine.

Also stay away from the shot unless your running race gas or E85.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
93 isn't unreasonable for 700rwhp as long as I keep iat2's and afr in check. And considering I run a killer chiller that isn't hard to do. Of course if my iat2 temps are high I'm not going to put the hammer down. Also after checking pricing again it looks like a 3.4 Whipple makes more sense over the 2.9 at $500 price difference. The vanilla Ford 2.3 tvs is $1500 cheaper than the vmp gen2r so I'm not sure if the gen2r is worth the extra $.

The killer chiller is gonna easily help you make your goal. The 2.9 whipple is better blower than the 3.4 when running under 22psi. To make the power on the 3.4 you need to spin it. You psi to meet your hp goal is gonna be in the 17-20psi range which is a sweet spot for the 2.9. My vote would be either the whipple 2.9 gen 3 or vmp gen 3. For your power goals

V8Flexin

Established Member
If you're considering a Whipple wait for for Lethal Performance to have their 15% off on Whipple sale. A Whipple 2.9 comes out to around $3500 and VMP Gen 3 starts at $3999. Its a tough call.
Is it possible to spin the 3.4 to 17-22 on the stock size lower or will I need a 10% lower? Also I'd rather run a meth injection kit for a octane boost rather than deal with the hassle of e85. Torqo is a option if I know I'm going to be racing at the track. I'm just trying not to over spend on a blower upgrade when that money can be put into other areas on the car.

moncho

Established Member
Definitely good choices out there now if your in the market for an upgraded S/C. Tasca also sells the Whipple S/C & will beat or match the pricing. Talk to Steve he's very knowledgeable on our cars as well. Nothing wrong with Lethal as that's where I purchased mine & their support is very good. Best thing to do like mentioned is to wait for their 15% off sale. And of course there's the VMP option as well. Here's some results of the Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 (13/14 GT500 forum). Good luck!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Is it possible to spin the 3.4 to 17-22 on the stock size lower or will I need a 10% lower? Also I'd rather run a meth injection kit for a octane boost rather than deal with the hassle of e85. Torqo is a option if I know I'm going to be racing at the track. I'm just trying not to over spend on a blower upgrade when that money can be put into other areas on the car.

You can make 22 psi on the 3.4 with the stock lower. Make sure you have 2008+ gt500 balancer. No need for a 10% lower.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Everyone wants the new blower I get it its awesome no doubt but how many have actually maxed out their stock short block internals with a Gen II blower? Id say all have but I'm betting this blower is way more efficient and will make more power with far less boost.

Users who are viewing this thread