Gen 1 whipple question

Evil homer

Established Member
Hello guys, I few weeks back I put a 4r70w on my cobra and love it best mod so far :)
Anywho I got offered a 2.3 whipple gen 1 with 7k miles on it for 1700$ would you guys say
That's a fair price ?
Also it comes with a 3.0 upper I have a 4lb lower
On my car currently what kind of boost level would I
Be at with that level ? I wanna be safe with a gas tune only for now 91 oct Thank you.

Last edited:

fr03cobra

Established Member
thats a fair price. just hard to verify the miles on a supercharger. i seen people lie about how many miles are on it.

cj428mach

Established Member
That's cheap. Is it a single blade TB? or a dual blade TB setup? I'd say its probably a 2300-2500 blower at least they were, and I think Whipple just increased their prices so they maybe going for a tad more now.

You will definitely need to pulley it back down. The 3.0 with a stock lower should be about 17lbs so with your 4lb lower and 91octane you'll be putting a new engine in it.

Swervedriver

Established Member
Best way to inspect it would be on a car running...

You can look at the little bit of the rotor tips that you can see and you can spin it around to see how it sounds but that's a completely different mode of operation vs on a car making boost.

$1700 is cheap. 7k miles is unrealistically low. If it's a perfectly functioning blower it's WELL worth that ask price even if it didn't come with the lower pulley.

That upper pulley should make 17psi which would be fine on 91. I wouldn't push it any higher than that though.

cj428mach

Established Member
The 3.5" should get you to 17lbs with the 4lb and the single blade you should do close to 600rwhp.

It depends on what your plans are, but personally I'd sell the lower and go back to a stocker. That way you get the added support of the caged lower and you won't have any belt slip issues. C6zhombres car is a gen 1 whipple with a 2.6 pulley and I don't believe any belt slip. I'm pretty sure he's over 21psi and 700rwhp with E85. I have a 2.7" pulley sitting in the garage for when I convert to E85.

Evil homer

Established Member
Just trying to get the most out of it safely with pump gas, I drive the car around a lot, ill be happy with 550 or so I have a auto so I know they wont make as much as a t56.

cj428mach

Established Member
Go stock lower, 3.25 to 3.0 pulley should get you where you want to run on 91. (15-17PSI)

Swervedriver

Established Member
I had a RR 2.6" upper and it would slip from 21psi down to ~18psi by 5k. I'd spray the belt with belt dressing the night before I took it to the track and a few days later it would be right back to falling off above 5k rpm.

mike69440

Established Member
The 3.5" should get you to 17lbs with the 4lb and the single blade you should do close to 600rwhp.

It depends on what your plans are, but personally I'd sell the lower and go back to a stocker. That way you get the added support of the caged lower and you won't have any belt slip issues. C6zhombres car is a gen 1 whipple with a 2.6 pulley and I don't believe any belt slip. I'm pretty sure he's over 21psi and 700rwhp with E85. I have a 2.7" pulley sitting in the garage for when I convert to E85.

Gen one Whipple is just fine.

Got 40k on mine, Just as good as new. 4 Lb lower and 3.5 or is it 3.6 Upper, Its been so long i forget. I have an oversized Altrnator pulley also. You really need 93 octane with that setup. Yes , expect 17 lbs boost and just shy of 600 Hp, +600 with Pipes.
Get HE and Radiator an don't look back.

91 will run but it may ping with normal 18 deg of timing. I have a 3 Lb Lower I on hand, just in case 93 Octane goes away. I use my car as a nice warm sunny weather daily driver.

Last edited:

mhinchley

Established Member
Nice price for sure. I personally would not run 17lbs of boost on 91 octane. If 91 octane is all that is available to you, then I would be looking into a quality meth kit to up your octane & cool the charge. Win/win. Snow makes some good quality kits with fail-safes built in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread