Gen 1 2.3 psi safe for street use?

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Hey everyone I was wondering if id be able to get away with running a 3.2 upper and 4lb lower on my gen1 whipple 2.3 on my stock motor on 93 octane. I was figuring it would be right around 19psi which from what ive heard is the limit on 93. Any thoughts? Any input is appreciated. I already have a 4lb lower on the car and no longer have the stock crank pulley so im trying to get the best combo with using it. Thanks

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I'm running 2.8 RR upper, stock lower on 2.3 Gen 1, I'm seeing 19psi. My tune before the 2.8 upper was with a 3" upper and very conservative with 17* timing, and 10.8 AFR on 93 octane. I have a Killer Chiller though, that helps keep IAT2's down thus helping to reduce possible detonation.

mach1033

Established Member
Is this your daily driver? I would go for 19lbs like you want and throw some torco in there as well.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I wouldn't run that much boost on 93 but that's just me.. I just recently had a bad tank of gas on 17psi and it was the scarest feeling ever let me tell you. Luckily I have knock sensors so there isn't any damage but it's a sickening feeling having your car nose dive due to detonation or loss of power some how..

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Hey guys, no this isn't my dd. I really don't drive it that often, I put about 12k on it in 4 years. I guess bad gas is always a possibility but I always use the same gas station which is sunoco 93 and I havnt had a problem yet.I don't really like the idea of using torco but I understand the added insurance. If 17psi is capable on 91 I would assume 19 is ok on 93 assuming that a 3.2 and a 4lb would give me that boost since I notice a lot of varying levels at certain combos.

mach1033

Established Member
Hey guys, no this isn't my dd. I really don't drive it that often, I put about 12k on it in 4 years. I guess bad gas is always a possibility but I always use the same gas station which is sunoco 93 and I havnt had a problem yet.I don't really like the idea of using torco but I understand the added insurance. If 17psi is capable on 91 I would assume 19 is ok on 93 assuming that a 3.2 and a 4lb would give me that boost since I notice a lot of varying levels at certain combos.

Used torco for 2 years and zero issues but I understand that its a pain to have to use it every fill up. I think you will be happy at 17lbs of boost.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Thanks for the reply mach. I actually spoke with u awhile back when your 2.3 was for sale but I had motor problems so I had to back out. So my 3.5 and 4lb would make 17psi so mayb that's what il do.I was hoping for 600rwhp so I figured 19psi was my only way.how much are the bottles of torco?

mach1033

Established Member
Thanks for the reply mach. I actually spoke with u awhile back when your 2.3 was for sale but I had motor problems so I had to back out. So my 3.5 and 4lb would make 17psi so mayb that's what il do.I was hoping for 600rwhp so I figured 19psi was my only way.how much are the bottles of torco?

Oh yeah now I remember you lol. CBR RESPOL bought my 2.3 and now he has the blue Mach 1 you see in his avatar. Torco from Lethal was 143 shipped for 6 bottles. I made 605rwhp at 17lbs of boost with all the supporting mods on straight pump 93. This was with a stock TB as well. Do you have a single on yours? If you run Torco with 19lbs of boost then you can run more timing and make even more power. I ran it with 21lbs of boost with mine and had zero issues. I have asked this question numerous times in the past and so far no one has posted any evidence. That question was this. Has anyone's motor blown up due to the direct use of torco? So far I havent seen any threads with this heading.

04torchred

Established Member
I would aim more for 17-18psi with 16-18* timing if you plan to hammer on it with that tune and 93 octane. If you run torco then I would go with 19 psi and a couple degrees extra timing so maybe 20*.

If you have a look at all the failures that happen lately on guys its either lack of fuel with melted pistons or not enough fuel and too much timing and melted pistons.

So if you plan to run the boost up that high please have a large fuel system so you never run short on fuel.

Blueline

Established Member
I run 18.8 lbs of boost, my tuner rec. a bottle of Torco just as added insurance at each fill up. I buy it directly from their Ebay store. I think its like 120 for 6 bottles shipped :beer:

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Thanks everyone I think il just stick with the 3.5 and 4lb and call it a day.the reason I didn't wana run the torco was because of the expense, not motor failures if that's how it came off. I have a pretty good fuel system setup already so that's no worry.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
And mach to answer you I do have a sbtb and all supporting mods minus headers so mayb I can reach that 600 mark at 17psi.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Mustang magic tuned my ported cobra and did a pretty good job I think so I was prob going to have them do it again. Chris at efi logical also tuned it when I got it and did a good job as well.where did u go?

mach1033

Established Member
Mustang magic tuned my ported cobra and did a pretty good job I think so I was prob going to have them do it again. Chris at efi logical also tuned it when I got it and did a good job as well.where did u go?

I went to efi last year but with my new build im having him decide where to bring it. You know if it blows up he cant point fingers lol.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member
Haha yea he actually did it back when it was xx tuning. What's he charge now? And y doesn't he wana do it himself,he seemed extremely knowledgeable with cobras

mach1033

Established Member
Haha yea he actually did it back when it was xx tuning. What's he charge now? And y doesn't he wana do it himself,he seemed extremely knowledgeable with cobras

My bad I meant to say that my engine builder who is in Long Island will decide where to bring it. EFI did a great job and I would have used him again but I just dont want any issues if by chance something happens.

Users who are viewing this thread