Gears

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I'm considering going up a step or two in gearing on my car. I've got several bolt ons, nothing major (see sig). I currently have 3.73's. I'm looking at going to 4.10's, and maybe even 4.30's. My biggest concern is that this is my daily driver, so I need to keep it street friendly and try to keep RPMs somewhat down so I don't kill my gas mileage. Second concern is traction. Since it's my dd, I'm not able to put dr's on it, and I'm having some trouble with the 3.73's and stock size nitto 555's. And third concern (which isn't big because I don't go much), is that the local track is only 1000 ft long. Right now I cross the line doing about 6200 rpm in 3rd. Going with a steeper gear will cause me to have to hit 4th before crossing the line. I'm afraid the extra shift will cause me to slow down and not help my ET. Any suggestions? Also, what brand of gear do you guys prefer? My 3.73's are FRPP's, they seem to be great. Thanks!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I'm considering going up a step or two in gearing on my car. I've got several bolt ons, nothing major (see sig). I currently have 3.73's. I'm looking at going to 4.10's, and maybe even 4.30's. My biggest concern is that this is my daily driver, so I need to keep it street friendly and try to keep RPMs somewhat down so I don't kill my gas mileage. Second concern is traction. Since it's my dd, I'm not able to put dr's on it, and I'm having some trouble with the 3.73's and stock size nitto 555's. And third concern (which isn't big because I don't go much), is that the local track is only 1000 ft long. Right now I cross the line doing about 6200 rpm in 3rd. Going with a steeper gear will cause me to have to hit 4th before crossing the line. I'm afraid the extra shift will cause me to slow down and not help my ET. Any suggestions? Also, what brand of gear do you guys prefer? My 3.73's are FRPP's, they seem to be great. Thanks!

Seems like you should stick to 3.73's. Seems like your pros/cons don't equal out. But if it was me, I would go 4.10's, it doesn't seem like it's worth it for the jump for the 200 plus parts and labor. IMO, get some MM full length subframes.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I've got a buddy that owes me a favor, he's installed several sets of gears before and seems to know what he's doing. Really all it's gonna cost me is parts. I am happy with the 3.73's, but I see very few using them. Most seem to say no less than 4.10's in our cars, so that's got me considering the swap.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i think i can help. you and i have similiar mods. i just went and had 4.30's put in. mine is not driven that much so i love it but i have noticed a loss in gas milage. when you are traveling down the road at 70mph turning almost 3k rpm's it's a little inconvenient and a little loud. it's fun to hit it through the gears and it goes fast but for the comfort factor you should probably go with 4.10's or a different mod. good luck either way.

gq916

Established Member
i have 430s and i mainly drive my car in town..going 80 on the freeway my rpms stay at 3200 which is fine. your gas milleage should actually get better in the city since there would be less stress on the car.
as for the track, im in 4th gear around 6k rpm. If you can power shift or get even close youll be fine.

I say do 430s !! 456s if the car is strictly about business !

19Mystic96

Established Member
Stay with the 3.73s.. I switched from 3.73s to 4.30s and it wasn't everything I expected.. Go with some other mods for the money..

If you have to go for gears, go with ford racing gears..

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
If it wasn't gonna be insanely cheap to swap, I wouldn't consider it. However, due to the current circumstances it's really got me thinking. Looks like I may just stick with 3.73's, this is the first time I've ever heard anything good about them (everyone praises the 4.10's/4.30's). I'd prefer not to look at this from a financial standpoint, but rather what fits me best. If that's the 3.73's, so be it. Thanks everyone!

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
sound like your content now. like i said mine are fun but if i had to drive it everyday it would bother me a little.

John4cam

Established Member
If it wasn't gonna be insanely cheap to swap, I wouldn't consider it. However, due to the current circumstances it's really got me thinking. Looks like I may just stick with 3.73's, this is the first time I've ever heard anything good about them (everyone praises the 4.10's/4.30's). I'd prefer not to look at this from a financial standpoint, but rather what fits me best. If that's the 3.73's, so be it. Thanks everyone!

I had 4.30's in my car for a while before I went with a sc. If I ever put gears in another 4valve it would be at least 4.30's. frpp gears is what you want also.

Venom351R

Established Member
Even though your saying the swap will be cheap your still paying for a set of gears and that money can be better well spent somewhere else. Why do you want to go w/ a steeper gear that will end up making you slower at the track as you stated? Just not worth it.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I *think* it will slow me down at the track due to an extra shift. However, that could also help me out some, I don't know. It's all just thoughts, I'm not dead set on getting the new ones. I've just heard so many good things about steeper gears I figured I'd give them a shot while I could get it done for cheap.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
It seems like you're getting new gears "cause everyone says 4.10's are better." If you are content with 3.73's, then why change.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I've never had any different, so if there's something better I don't know that. There's a reason very few run 3.73's. I have them because they were in the car when I got it. I guess I just think there's a reason so many go with 4.10's and 4.30's, there must be some reason they are better. I don't know what I want/need, that's what this forums for. If it's 3.73's, great. If it's something else, that's what I'll get.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
I've never had any different, so if there's something better I don't know that. There's a reason very few run 3.73's. I have them because they were in the car when I got it. I guess I just think there's a reason so many go with 4.10's and 4.30's, there must be some reason they are better. I don't know what I want/need, that's what this forums for. If it's 3.73's, great. If it's something else, that's what I'll get.

If I was in your situation I would go with 4.30's. Especially if you were going to pay little or no labor cost. I'm not sure what the big thing is with everyone telling you not to do the swap. However I would be all over it whether it be a track or DD car. Weight your options A: Have a blast daily driving till you find some DRs in the market. B: Keep your same setup cause this will hurt you going into 4th at the track.:uh oh:

I'd pick the daily driver!:rockon:
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread