gears

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
In a vacuum maybe, but what about wind/road/tire resistance? Or does that not matter enough to slow you any?

Tetge's post is reffering to rpms with different gear ratios at different speeds, so wind/road/tire resistance is irrelevant. As to the original question of, "will they slow you down?", I think they'll make your ET lower, meaning you get there quicker, thus you have less time to accelerate. I'm the only one running 4.10s right now, and I seem to do fine against the fellas down here.

03DOHC

Established Member
The rpm thing may hold true in a vacuum. How can wind resistance be irrelevant? If it was we should be able to wind out 6th gear until you hit the limiter in a stock car.

Have you run faster than McRat did in Leons car yet?

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
It's irrelevant because we are talking about rpms at a certain speed with certain gear ratios. Wind will not change the fact that my car turns ~3000rpms at 90 mph in 6th.

No, I have not. I'm still learning how to drive. My best at C-bad was a 12.36 @ 117. His time was a high 11, right? You're talking about a whole different league when you bring up McRat.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by SonicVenum
It's irrelevant because we are talking about rpms at a certain speed with certain gear ratios. Wind will not change the fact that my car turns ~3000rpms at 90 mph in 6th.
Gotcha. I'm thinking more the car using power to push through the resistance of the wind and it factoring that way since some of the power that would be used to accelerate you would be used to fight the wind resistance.

Silver 03 Cobra

I've done five IRS gear changes. I've seen prices range from $200(a bargain) to $600. It's an 8 hour job if you don't have too hard a time shimming the gears. $300-400 is fair. You can save some money buy pulling the differential yourself and taking it to a good gear shop. That should save you 75% of the cost.

Motive Gear is an excellent gear and the smoothest I've used including FRPP. They lap their gears as a matched set. The pinion depth is marked on the pinion gear and that makes it a little easier to shim because you need a starting point without guessing. Always replace the pinion bearings no matter what miles you have on the rear when you do a gear job especially the bearing next to the pinion gear since it could be damaged removing it from the stock gear. It's not worth it when a new bearing is around $30. Buy a good quality pinion seal and put RTV around it before you install it. Failure to do so results in leakage over time.

Last edited by a moderator:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
I had 4:10's in my '99, and they woke that car up. Remember you will want to do a chip or reflash or other speedo fix to adjust the speedo and odometer.

You might as well put in a better differential while your at it. Maybe a Torsen for road racing?

I have a 2000 Cobra R differential and axles for sale if you might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread