Gears

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
I have an 01 Cobra. It has 4.10's and I used to drag race it. (slow!) I now want to road race it more. Are the 4.10's OK or should I drop to say 3.73's. I realize the 4.6l motors need high rev's but are tje 4.10's too much/:lol:

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I just switched to 4:10s last year .... Huge improvement. Even running Road America wasn't much of a problem with the top end .....

You will not look back with 4:10s doing OT ....

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
My '97 Cobra has 4.10 gears and I think their perfect for daily driving and would also be perfect for open track. (But it's the wifes car, so it hasn't been OT)

However I think 4.10's a bit much for a stock dia tire 03/04 Cobra.

Every time I research the best gear for my car for daily driving, OT, or drag racing on stock dia tires I always come up with the same answer: 3.90's.

So what is the best OT gear on a stock-boost Cobra? Like you guys said, you'd want to be around 6000rpm at the end of the longest straight you expect to go down. I say it's the 3.90's, (5th gear) what do you guys think?

9746C

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I like the car as it is geared stock really. For my needs at least. I autocross quite a bit as well as OT. The top of 2nd gear with 3.55's is perfect for this.

When on track with 3:55's, I like the idea that I can short shift to 5th on straights to cool things down....but the car still can pull hard in 5th if you choose.

Cobra-R

Established Member
4.10's in a stock or near stock hp car is too much for a open track car that is on larger tracks. If I was running a 01 Cobra again, I would go with 3.73's rather than 4.10s. You cannot compare 00R and 03/04 Cobra gear choices against a 01 Cobra. They are just to different of cars with very different power numbers as well as power/torque curves.

Besides the above issues, the more gear you have, the more heat issues you will have in the differential. (get a cooler if you are going to continue tracking)

Users who are viewing this thread