gears...

like2party

Established Member
I am looking to have 3:73's installed in my 99 Cobra. Can anybody recommend a shop here in Northern Cal to do the work? Thanks...

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
I have 4.30's and love them. 3.73 are not woth the cost to have them changed. Go with 4.10,s or 4.30's unless you plan on putting a blower on your car. My 2 cents. Don't fear the gear!

Tim

Cobra-R

Established Member
I totally agree, 3.73's are not enough. I just installed 4.10's because I open track my car, but for the street and strip I would bump up to 4.30's also. :beer:

like2party

Established Member
no kidding! I wanted 3:73's to keep top speed. made it from SLC to Sacramento in 7 hours, 35 minutes including fuel stops and breakfast. did you know you will go through a tank of gas in an hour and 35 minutes when you set the cruise at 128 mph?:rolling:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by like2party
no kidding! I wanted 3:73's to keep top speed. made it from SLC to Sacramento in 7 hours, 35 minutes including fuel stops and breakfast. did you know you will go through a tank of gas in an hour and 35 minutes when you set the cruise at 128 mph?:rolling:
:eek: Sorry I can't help you with California speed shop recommendations...but top speed with 4.30s is 180 in fifth and 4.10s is a "hypothetical" 189 in fifth (127 and 121, respectively in fourth). I, too would recommend at least 4.10s :-D

99saleenspeedster

Established Member
I have 4.30's in my car also and love them. I had 3.73's in my Saleen and wish I would have had 4.10's, so a Cobra needs at least 4.10's.

-Rick

SVTNICK

Established Member
Just keep in mind that for every step in gears you are adding about 200 rpm's...Im building my car up for drag/strip/daily use, and Im going with the 373's. Yeah 410 are nice, but if you are going to a blower, (and in my case Im looking into a roots blower more low end torque..hence if i went with gears to low, ill never stop spinning the tires....lol) or turbo, you dont want to go too crazy. If gears were going to be my only mod for a long time, 410 or 390 are good. Remember, yeah no matter what lower gear you go to, yes your going to get into the upper rpm band faster, but its about compromise..that balance between top end, MPG, and what your plans are for the car...its always a damn hard decision.

ahh..but this has nothing to do with the questions asked...LOL.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Well, I agree with the blower part, but many performance shops still suggest 4.10's with most centrifugal blowers, perhaps not a roots, but then again not many go the roots route on a DOHC.. Up until the 03'

I don't know about what you have heard about MPG and 4.30's or 4.10's.. I know plenty of folks that have these and MPG has not decresed significantly... Now, me personally with 3.27's I never have seen below 22 MPG in town, I've seen as high as 28 on the highway. a few folks near hear have the 4.10's and 4.30's, both of which still average 25+ on highway, and still 20+ on the street.

Top end? with 4.30 gears in a 01 Cobra, 5th gear tops out at 185 MPH.. I don't think that's sacrificing personaly. But it all depends on what you want like you said.

I personally am going the NA route, I am not going to buy a blower if I can't even hook up my car NA.. For me it's all about the Track. Even with the 4.30's, I still plan to eventually buy a Turbo or Novi once everything is dialed in..Meaning, the IRS is beefed up and some better tires etc.

It's a hard decision, but don't fear the gear :)

How soon are you looking to put a blower on it?

Shawn

Last edited:

SVTNICK

Established Member
How does having just 410 or 430 make a cobra top out at over 180 MPH?? I dont think thats true. YOur top end actually is alot less with lower gears, unless you have mods. I know there is guy on here who races who had a thread that explained the differences in top end with lower gears. But i know for a fact, your top speed is not faster with lower gears(meaning 410 ect ect)..example..
lets say your are cruising at 80 MPH with 327 gears at 2000 rpm.
That same car with 410 at 80 MPH would be running at 2600 rpms. (i know cruising rpms that i have listed are not accurate, but its for arguments sake)

get the picture. You are sitting closer to redline the lower the gear...hence you cant go as fast as with higher gears, unless you have mods.

SVTNICK

Established Member
but id like to put a blower on mine as soon as i get word of when the 03 cobra kits are out.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I was not stating that you could physically go 185, just the same as you can't physically go 244 MPH with the 3.27s. I don't know what the limitations are nor am I going to bother to even ever go that fast...

Just FYI.. 80MPH is 3017 with 4.30's, 2876 with 4.10's, and 2294 with 3.27s.

I'd have to talk to that person to understand what you are trying to get at. But I see it physically more possible to go faster MPH wise with 4.10's over 3.27s... Do you think a Stock car in 5th gear with 3.27's will pull till redline? I doubt it! With 4.10s in that same car, I would have to say it would go faster being that it puts the car in it's power range. But maybe I am missinformed, but I would love to hear a good reason why it wouldn't be. Speaking of that, I'll just give True Blue Performance a call and see what they can add.

Mods! I couldn't ever drive a stock car. ;-)

Shawn

Last edited:

tms217

Established Member
I think what shawn is trying to say is this...
A100% stock Cobra can top out fourth and when shifted into fifth the car will actuall slow down.
BUT,

A Cobra with 4.10's or 4.30's can pull to redline in fifth. Which inturn will give these cars higher top speeds. Therefor in theory the 3.27 can spin over 200MPH but with out extensive mods it cannot do it. While I believe someone on here has run their 4.10 car to redline approx 190 MPH

Terry

SVTNICK

Established Member
i totally see what you are talking about. Yes, a car with 410 as opposed to 327 will pull faster , but in a stock CObra, lets say with 410, you will hit redline and be sitting at about 130 MPH. With the stock gears, you will pull slower, but will continue on past the 130 to 150MPH.

im going to see if i can find that thread. I believe it was the guy with the yellow convertible set up for track use who gave out the calcualtions.(maybe 3 months ago??)

-Nick

SLOWBRA

Established Member
That's cool Nick, I'm going to True Blue here in a few and we will put it together later.. It's a good debate and good information for all..

Share what you get, and I will do the same.

Shawn

cobracide

Established Member
A cobra with 4.10 gears will have a higher top speed than one with 3.27. Why? The 3.27 will reach top speed in 4th gear. 5th gear in the 3.27 is too big to overcome wind resistance (the limiting factor). The 4.10 will allow you to use 5th gear, hence top speed will increase. Make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread