Gears and Tuners

WhiteSnake99

Established Member
I am going to switch out the stock gears in my 99. I would like some input on going either 3.73 or 4.10. I do some highway driving but not alot, maybe once a week. And of course with getting gears I plan on getting a tuner. I have seen alot of people saying to go SCT so I have found two and wanted input as well. Thanks everyone.

SCT 1: SCT Mustang iTSX Wireless Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (99-04 Cobra, Mach 1) 4015 - Free Shipping!

SCT 2: SCT 4-Bank Eliminator Chip w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes (99-04 Cobra, Mach 1) 6600||38023||38000 - Free Shipping!

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Most everyone will tell you 4.10's, but me personally I'm going with 3.73's simply because it's a 99% street driven vehicle that sees a decent amount of highway/interstate time. It will still be a nice improvement over the stock 3.27's. You really can't go wrong either way - most important part is making sure they're installed correctly.

And you really can't go wrong with SCT - might also want to find out what your local tuner/shops prefer if you plan on having the car dynotuned at any point down the road.

MrSteve

Established Member
I think you only lose maybe maybe 1-2mpg with 4.10s on the highway and if that is going to be your stopping point....why drive a car with a v8?

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
4v's love 4.10 gears. Do it, you'll never ever regret it. You put 3.73's in it and it might be ok, but in the back of your mind the while time you'll be like "I wonder what those 4.10's would've felt like"

po-po 5.0

Established Member
3.73s in my car, and I wouldn't go deeper because most of my driving is highway driving, and I intend to go procharged. If you never plan to get blown, go 4.10s.

I would avoid the 4 bank eliminator chip. This is old-school foxboxy tech, and makes it almost impossible to do the email tuning route unless you just happen to have the hardware to burn the chips (it's stupid-expensive).

livewire isn't necessary, but does give you a nice little panel to monitor some parameters if you'd like. I can say, from experience, theives think they're GPS units, and it will get stolen if you're not diligent about taking it out of the car all the time.

iTSX is an option, and there's also the SCT xcal3/SF3. Honestly, I'm going with the xcal3/SF3.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Go with 4.10s, if you go with 3.73s you will always wonder what it would be like to have more gear. I have 4.10s and given a chance to do it again, I might have gone with 4.30s.

and get the Livewire tuner or xcal3/SF3, they are much more versatile and you don't have to screw around with wireless problems.

Rotzs99

Established Member
I have 3.73s. While it could be more, it definitely makes the car more enjoyable and puts it in the sweet spot for me.

My driving situation...

I drive 50+ highway miles round trip to work and churn 2000-2200 rpms at 70. This is perfect for me since it is just under where my exhaust drones the most. My cobra is my fuel efficient car as well. I can't give you mileage since I never got a tuner to correct speedo. I went 3.73s because I thought it would be better for the road course I want to do and the highway driving. Should've driven the track first, but I had a leaking diff cover that forced my hand.

Go with the handheld for the diagnostic capabilities.

Last edited:

WhiteSnake99

Established Member
I think you only lose maybe maybe 1-2mpg with 4.10s on the highway and if that is going to be your stopping point....why drive a car with a v8?

I didn't buy a cobra to worry about gas mileage. My main concern was with higher rpms at higher speeds but, after everyones input I will probably go 4.10. I will be looking up the xcal3/SF3 tuner and probably leaning on it. Thanks for all the input

01Silvermustang

Established Member
I would recommend doin the 4.10's thats what i have. And do not buy the tunes from bama, they are known int he tuning world to break your cars. I would go to a professional dyno shop and have it done. Thats what i did at pro dyno, great guys and great service.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
The difference in low rpms (under 3000) is going to be less than 300. It's the high rpms where the gears make all the difference. The difference is proportional to rpms. 4.10's here and could not be happier. 2200 rpms with 3.73's is equal to 2418 with 4.10s. 6000 rpm with 3.73's is equal to 6600 rpms with 4.10's

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
3.73s in my car, and I wouldn't go deeper because most of my driving is highway driving, and I intend to go procharged. If you never plan to get blown, go 4.10s.

Not sure where you get that idea from. Im blown with 4.10 and once my final tune is finished ill be at ~550rwhp. Its the perfect gear for a centri car, which seems to be a more popular route of supercharging for NE cobras. 4.10s and a centri car are good for around 600hp with a good tire. The gear will allow for 130mph and that would be ideal for most cars in 1/4.

I do quite a bit of interstate driving myself and still have ZERO problems with 4.10s. I lost less than 2 mpg on average and its closer to only losing 1.25 mpg on average for me. You will lose less that 26 miles per an entire tank, almost negligible.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I have 4.10's and wish I would have went to 4.56. Nothing less then a 4.10 on our cars is almost a must it seems. I do drive it 3 hours one direction about 5 months out of the year and I tend to get 24 mpg at 80 mph (2950rpm). Can't really argue that. It still gets 17 mpg in the city as well.

WhiteSnake99

Established Member
I am going to go with the 4.10 and the limewire tuner. I of course will read and research before applying any tunes to it. I am a former mechanic so I like doing things to my car myself. Some things to save time I will take and get done but the vast majority I do myself.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Kind of a long drive, but Bob Kurgan of Kurgan Motorsports is north of Atlanta. The Chicago area lost a big asset when he left.

woodrow5.0

Established Member
i saw on Kurgans shop facebook page he had some guys drive down from Canada to him so your drive isnt that bad.besides you spent good money on a car,your spending good money on mods,why not make a drive to a top tuner?your car is your investment so treat it the best you can.4 hour drive is well worth it for me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread