gears and sppedometers

Snake_93

Established Member
I know I need to get the 23 tooth speedo gear to correct it for my 3.73's

But say I dont do that....how will it effect my speedo? Will my actual speed register slower or faster than what the speedometer reads?

badvenm

Established Member
It will more importantly it will make you odometer off. You will put more miles on the car than you are actually driving.

ObieFox

Established Member
Over stock gear the 3.73 will add 13-15 mph at about 60 mph and like badvenm said it will also add mileage.

Get the speedo gear. It is cheap and easy.

KO

Snake_93

Established Member
I already have the gears...so where can I purchase this 23 tooth speedo gear? And will the same guy who installs my 3.73's know how to install this speedo gear?

QuickStangs

Established Member
The shop should be able to do it for you it's real simple from what I've heard. I had the shop do mines free of charge.

ObieFox

Established Member
You can buy the speedo gear at just about any mustang mail order place. The installation is a snap. Follow the speedo cable to where it attaches to the tranny. There is a small cover where the cable goes in. Remove the cover and swap the gear on the end of the cable.

Ko

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
A few ford motorsport catalogs ago, there was a chart for which gear to use for speedo correction with different gear ratios. I seem to remember that both the drive gear in the transmission and the driven gear (23 tooth or what ever) needed to be changed with 3.73s. Anybody else hear of this?

ObieFox

Established Member
The 23 tooth is perfect for the 3.55's and it will get you pretty close on the 3.73's. To be exact on the 3.73's you do need to change the driven gear also. This is a PITA and not worth it. Just put the 23 in and forget it for both the 3.55 and 3.73.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread