Gearing vs. hp?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I guess this is a theoretical question of sorts because I know there's probably no direct way to compare. Also, this is actually not on a Mustang, but I'm looking into getting a Toyota 4runner for my dd. You guys have always helped me out, so I figured this would be a good place to find out. I'm looking at two models, one is a v6 with 183 hp and 217 ft lb torque, the other is a v8 with 235 hp and 320 ft. lb torque. There's about a $2500 price gap between the two. I'm thinking about getting the one with the v6 and swapping out the gears and still have less money invested. However, I wanted to make it feel just as nice driving. Is there any way to calculate (or maybe just a rule of thumb) that would tell you if you dropped a few steps on the gearing it would be equivalent to so many horsepower? I'm gonna be going from 4.10's to 4.56's, so is there a way to tell how many hp you'd have to add to have the same seat of the pants feel? So, am I way out on this or is there any way to tell? Thanks!

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Why gear the truck?... if your not towing or hauling anything get the 6.. its better on gas.. Im sure the 8 has other comfort items in it as well as extras...

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I remember on my last one I hated it because it was so slow. I know that going from a Cobra back to the 4runner it will be even worse, so I'm looking to do what I can. If I can save $2k up front, spend $1k on mods and have the equivalent feel, then that's what I'm gonna do. Otherwise I will just try to scrape up the money for the v8. Yes the v6 gets better fuel economy, but the difference in marginal.

Users who are viewing this thread