GearHead for Decades

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
Most of you guys know that I am a gear head, but most do not know that this has been going on for several decades.

Last month I received these 3 pictures from a guy that I had not seen or talked to in over 40 years. These were taken in 1967 in Vietnam. I was in a tractor and trailer unit that worked 14-16 hours a day, 7 days a week, but some how we managed to make this in our spare time.

It is a go-cart, that is powered by a Jeep engine mounted side ways. These were taken during the construction phase, and he didn't have any of it when it was completed.

richards%201967.jpg

williamson.jpg

jeep%20powered%20cart.jpg

It was built by a guy named Williamson from California, me, and some help from the other guys from the Motor Pool. We used the sprokets and chain from a 5 ton wreckerrear winch to connect the engine and rear axle.

It was a blast to drive. It was so easy to do wheelies with. Williamson took it out the gate one day, and down to the main road through Phu Tai. As soon as he got going, he met a MP Jeep. He gassed it and almost flipped it over backwards doing a big wheel stand. If it wasn't for that little gas tank, they would never of caught him.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
LOL, that is so cool. I bet you have some stories to tell. I salute you and all veterans for serving your country, it is greatly appreciated especially in my family.

393Bird

Seniors Gone Wild
Established Member
Thanks guys. I am now 66 years old, and have mellowed some, but still love speed and power. Every time I fire up my Bird, I turn into the young guy. I still do every thing I did back then, but take a little longer to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread