Gear whine fix?

Softballer77

Established Member
I have frpp 4.10s. Thet were put in by a VERY reputable shop. They "were" quiet till going to the drags and now they whine. Actually it's gotten almost unbearable now. Anyone have luck going back into the differential and reshimming to get the whine to go away?

A.M.R

Established Member
Yes, changing the backlash will make it go away until the next time you hit the strip... I've just learned to live with it. Play loud music or something to mask the sound, or get a 9" rear end, I heard they don't whine like the 8.8s

paluka21

Established Member
My 3.73's are a few hundred miles old and whine like crazy when cruising at 1800-2200 rpm under light throttle. I'm thinking its just something I'll have to grow accustomed to...unfortunately. I will say the pros outweigh the cons as I wouldn't go back to 3.31's.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Did you guys use the collapsible spacer or solid spacer with shims for the pinion preload?

paluka21

Established Member
Did you guys use the collapsible spacer or solid spacer with shims for the pinion preload?

Wish I knew. I just purchased the install kit and had a local Ford dealer do the work. They were dead silent till I roughed them up under WOT pulls in 2nd gear.

Softballer77

Established Member
Wish I knew. I just purchased the install kit and had a local Ford dealer do the work. They were dead silent till I roughed them up under WOT pulls in 2nd gear.

I did the same thing. Just bought the kit from Ford and had GTR put them in with some new Mosers.

I agree that the pros out weigh the negs, I just rather hear more exhaust than them both together...if it could be redone for a practical price, i'd look into having it done to see if it goes away for long.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I don't understand, what is it about our rear ends that make them whine??? Is there a way to get rid of the whine for good? I know people have said it's caused by hard launching and the weight of the cars, but what about other cars that launch hard that weigh even more? I don't think those diffs whine. I haven't heard anybody else complaining about it. Why is it only us?

paluka21

Established Member
I don't understand, what is it about our rear ends that make them whine??? Is there a way to get rid of the whine for good? I know people have said it's caused by hard launching and the weight of the cars, but what about other cars that launch hard that weigh even more? I don't think those diffs whine. I haven't heard anybody else complaining about it. Why is it only us?

Who knows? I haven't even launched hard in my car.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had 5 different 8.8s they all whined. Drives me crazy. Installing yet another one this week built by yet someone else.
You can guess what I'm thinking now.

Ablaze

Established Member
I doubt it helps but for whatever it's worth I've installed 4.10s on all my prior 8.8s. Never on a Shelby as this is my first one. Also my first torsen. My installer is an hour away and told me no serious launches for 500 miles or something like that but there was no cooldown procedure or anything along those lines. I remember asking him if I could break them on the street and remember him saying "nope". So I romped on them the day I picked the car up, drove the whole hour back, fell in love with the car all over again while beating on it the entire way back.

Car sat for a day. From the next day on, no mercy.

Never a lick of whine no matter how hard I listened. At the time I was buying my FRPP kits from American Muscle and installing with all Amsoil oil/lube. Obviously everyone's experience with gears is all over the place but thus far I'm on about it all being the installer. 100%.

I absolutely hope you guys get it fixed. I know I personally couldn't live with it.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If I every decide to change gears in my car, I am going with the solid spacer and shims for the pinion preload. The Mopar guys have had this problem with the old 8 3/4" rear-ends for decades and they have replaced the collapsible spacer with a solid one with shims, similar to the Dana 60s.

One of the things that drives me nuts is the fact that no one checks the preload on the pinion when they disassemble the rear end. I would bet there is very little preload present at the time of disassembly.

View attachment Drive Pinion Flange and Drive Pinion Seal.pdf

General Specifications
Clearance, Tolerance and Adjustments
  • Differential pinion gear thrust washer thickness: 0.762-0.813 mm (0.030-0.032 in)
  • Differential side gear thrust washer thickness: 0.762-0.813 mm (0.030-0.032 in)
  • Maximum axle shaft end play: 0.762 mm (0.030 in)
  • Maximum differential case runout: 0.076 mm (0.003 in)
  • Pinion bearing preload: 1.8-3.3 Nm (16-29 lb-in)
  • Pinion flange runout: 0.25 mm (0.010 in) T.I.R.
  • Ring gear backlash: 0.203-0.304 mm (0.008-0.012 in)
  • Variation between teeth maximum backlash: 0.102 mm (0.004 in)

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear but you guys must not have paid attention to my previous posts.
Multiple configurations, all whined after strip/launch use.
I'll be going up early next month for a last effort re-install with new FRPP 4.10s, another solid spacer, and this time an axle brace.
Really going to have the reputable race chassis shop investigate it further upon tear down and take any of his ideas to fix.
He knows if he can fix it and hold up, he'll have many of you calling ;-)
If not I'll be swapping a 9" next winter.
Oh well, we will see.
-J

paluka21

Established Member
I doubt it helps but for whatever it's worth I've installed 4.10s on all my prior 8.8s. Never on a Shelby as this is my first one. Also my first torsen. My installer is an hour away and told me no serious launches for 500 miles or something like that but there was no cooldown procedure or anything along those lines. I remember asking him if I could break them on the street and remember him saying "nope". So I romped on them the day I picked the car up, drove the whole hour back, fell in love with the car all over again while beating on it the entire way back.

Car sat for a day. From the next day on, no mercy.

Never a lick of whine no matter how hard I listened. At the time I was buying my FRPP kits from American Muscle and installing with all Amsoil oil/lube. Obviously everyone's experience with gears is all over the place but thus far I'm on about it all being the installer. 100%.

I absolutely hope you guys get it fixed. I know I personally couldn't live with it.

My previous 8.8 was the same way, with no gear whine at all even after beating on the thing almost immediately. The Shelby, well, it seems different.

paluka21

Established Member
Sorry to hear but you guys must not have paid attention to my previous posts.
Multiple configurations, all whined after strip/launch use.
I'll be going up early next month for a last effort re-install with new FRPP 4.10s, another solid spacer, and this time an axle brace.
Really going to have the reputable race chassis shop investigate it further upon tear down and take any of his ideas to fix.
He knows if he can fix it and hold up, he'll have many of you calling ;-)
If not I'll be swapping a 9" next winter.
Oh well, we will see.
-J

I'm interested to see how this works out for you. I wish there were a reputable shop like you're speaking of around my area, but after visiting several of them, it's hard to trust some of the things I've seen come from them.
I fully expected gear whine from this car, but, not with just hard street pulls without launching hard. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal to me as my new exhaust will hopefully drown out some of it and I also blast my music pretty loud while driving. My old car had a much harsher ride and made a lot more noises due to the stiffened suspension, open race bypass valve, open exhaust, and drag tires I'd run around on sometimes. :coolman:

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
The whine on my 4.10's is considerably less than when I had 3.73's; which almost became unbearable on the highway.

So that was my fix, I guess you could say. Plus I like the 4.10's better anyway so that was a nice bonus.

OaktownACE

Established Member
I'm interested to see how this works out for you. I wish there were a reputable shop like you're speaking of around my area, but after visiting several of them, it's hard to trust some of the things I've seen come from them. I fully expected gear whine from this car, but, not with just hard street pulls without launching hard. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal to me as my new exhaust will hopefully drown out some of it and I also blast my music pretty loud while driving. My old car had a much harsher ride and made a lot more noises due to the stiffened suspension, open race bypass valve, open exhaust, and drag tires I'd run around on sometimes. :coolman:
Would Dynamat help soften the whine? Just trying to think of some way to make it more liveable.

Snoopy49

Established Member
If they are setup correctly by a competent mechanic, they shouldn't whine. I don't know why people make excuses for incompetence. It must be a sign of the times we live in. No one is held accountable for their actions.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
If they are setup correctly by a competent mechanic, they shouldn't whine. I don't know why people make excuses for incompetence. It must be a sign of the times we live in. No one is held accountable for their actions.

+1
My previous 8.8 was the same way, with no gear whine at all even after beating on the thing almost immediately. The Shelby, well, it seems different.

You need to take your car back and get those re-set. You didn't do any hard drag launches and they started whining very quickly.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member

This is probably true for the folks who rarely drive their cars aggressively. For example, I use a good shop in Houston with guys that have been doing this for over 20 years and have been featured in magazines. They know how to do gears. Anyway with my 3.73's and my 4.10's, they were silent for a good while before I decided to do a few hard launches on drag radials...and sure enough, both sets started to make noise. I could have had the 3.73's reset since they got pretty bad at the end, but decided to go with 4.10s. They were silent again until a few hard launches a couple of hundred miles later...and now I get a very slight whine but it is WAY less than the 3.73s so I am happy as can be. Especially if you have upgraded LCA/UCA, you can usually expect some noise after some hard launches in this car.

Someone on the GT500 FB page was saying to ditch the crush sleeve and go with a Ratech 4105 solid pinion spacer.

paluka21

Established Member
+1

You need to take your car back and get those re-set. You didn't do any hard drag launches and they started whining very quickly.

I just called today and voiced my concern. They said bring it back and take the mechanic out for a ride and we'll see if we can get it corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread