Gear time

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Just by looking on the internet and watching videos; it seems like automatic cars run really well with the 4.10 gears at the strip but the same gear in the m6 cars seem to have to go into 5th gear in the 1/4 mile and seem to run faster and like the 3.73 option better. I know you said your car doesnt see the track often but its just more food for thought.

venumus93

Established Member
Love my stock 3.73's

Ditto. Feels really good from stoplight to stoplight with the 3.73's man. I think with basic CAI and exhaust mods you would be good to go as far as gearing up to the 3.73's. You can run thru the traps at the top of 4th gear still as well for the few times u track the car.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
A lot of people overlook the obvious, and the answer is that gearing in the both the auto and manual are low. I wouldn't put anything more than a 3.73 with either tranny unless you like to use big tires 28"+ or shift into 5th gear with the manual and in the process kill e.t. If you don't plan to go to the track and just want a fun car, then go for the 4.10s or numerically higher.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
For anybody who has done the gearswap, do you need a
new bearing for the swap? Somebody told me about it and it's lime 50 bucks.

if you have low miles under say 5k miles your not gonna need to change bearing unless you beat the Shit out of your car.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
ok guys think about gears really really hard. dont waste your money on gears if your going from like lets say 3.31 to 3.55. theres gonna be no real difference an will just piss away money. also with this new PCM setups you can still get 28MPG in an Auto with 4.10s.

Auto 5.0 stock gear 3.15, you need to at least step up to a 3.55 to make it worth your money an go up as high as 4.30s. best gear for DD an fun at the strip 4.10s in the Auto. you have a power band up till around 6800 RPM in the Auto

Manual 5.0 Stock 3.31 you need at least a 3.73 to make it worth your money an go up as high as 4.30s.
stock 3.55 you need at least a 3.90 to make it worth your money an go up as high as 4.30s.
stock 3.73 you need at least a 4.10 to make it worth your money an go up as high as 4.30s.
the manuals will rev up to 7200RPM

the V6 will be about the same only difference is there auto starts at a 2.73

Users who are viewing this thread