Gear Question

realm187

Vaporized
Established Member
I have a question about which gear set most people use on their 500's. I never drive on the interstate, so drivability is not an issue. Any feedback would be helpful. Full stock btw, but plan on mods after new year.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
Most people in the GT500s run either stock or 3.73s.

Personally I run 4.10s and its awesome. But people will tell you it's too much gear... :cryying:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I was going to go 3.73 but figured it was a waste of money since I already have 3.55. If anything I would do a 4.10 but to much HP for that so 3.55 for life unless someone has 3.73 they want to give away

realm187

Vaporized
Established Member
Thanks for input. I was going back and forth trying to decide which would be a better fit. Gonna order the 3.73s, and the 2.60 pulley, cold air intake and programmer from lethal. Hoping to see a nice boost in power. :burnout:

PRP

Established Member
I have a question about which gear set most people use on their 500's. I never drive on the interstate, so drivability is not an issue. Any feedback would be helpful. Full stock btw, but plan on mods after new year.

Since you don't run on the Interstate, I say "GO LOW".

4th gear is 1:1 on the GT500 w/6-spd. I drive my car in town and use the trans like one of the old 4 speeds, RARELY ever using 5th or 6th gear.

I built a 67 GTO for my son's first car with a Big Block Chevy motor in it. I put 4.56's in it and it was MISERABLE to drive on the freeway with the Muncie 4-spd in it. BUT, if it would'a had another two gears on top of 4th it would have been fine.

I don't think you'll see a BIG difference in 3.73's over the 3.55's because frankly, there isn't a BIG difference. The Super Snake has 73's in them but they're a compromise because most people are going to use them on the Interstate. Me personally, I'd go with 4.10's and use 5th gear as my "top gear" around town vs my 4th gear that I currently use as my top gear.

And to be more than honest, if I didn't use my car to travel with on the Freeway (I make regular/multiple trips from CO to CA and back per year) I'd run 4.10 gears in my own car.

But as they say, "To Each His Own"...or "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV),
Phill Pollard (a.k.a. 2010KonaBlueGT500 on TS)
2010 Kona Blue w/White stripes GT500

rodfarva

Established Member
I switched from 3.55 to 3.73 in my 2010, but the main reason that I did so is because I run a 28" tall slick at the strip. I do like the feel of them on the street a little bit better than I did the 3.55.

DMotorsports

Established Member
I've got 4.10's in mine, and it definitely woke up the car. Like you, I rarely do any interstate driving. If you're planning on running it at the track, I think it will depend on how much power you're making whether you should go 3.73 or 4.10. With 4.10's and a 28" slick like most run, you're pretty much limiting yourself to a 130-132 mph trap speed at 6500 rpm (obviously with a tune). Maybe a little closer to 135 mph if you get some tire growth. The same setup with 3.73 will get you to 145 mph.

Potential Speed Calculator

I have no idea what it takes to reach that limit, as I am just starting to get into drag racing myself.

loweredf1

Established Member
wish someone would do a how-to write up... i have a dial with mag base and have a friend with a depth checker. just hate paying to have things done i could do myself with a little info on setup

realm187

Vaporized
Established Member
After reading everything I think Im gonna go with 4.10 gears. Based on the car being a fully a weekend toy and not having to worry about any interstate action. Another question, its kind of a newbie question, but gonna throw it out there. Is a pulley swap difficult? Gonna go with 2.6.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
The 07-09 guys typically go with a 3.73 including myself. Perfect gear for street/strip. The 2010+ guys typically go with a 4.10 due to the 10+'s having different longer internal gearing.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
I tried 3.73's and 4.10's. Ended up with 3.90's. I like 3.90's best. From what I've seen its not hurting my 1/4 times. Compared to guys running 4.10's. Tires i run are 28 inches tall.

Turbo Kyle

Established Member
I'm going to talk Bob into putting a set of 3:73s in our shop car. We have a 28 inch tire on the car...so its pretty necessary from my perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread