Gear Question

Bluebullit

Established Member
So im thinking about building up my rear end in the near future and im trying to see if i should run 3.73 or 3.90

i have a stock 3605 tranny in my 01 GT and i have a Vortech with all the works so what would be the better gear cause i do a good bit of daily driving if the weather is nice so i still need gas mileage but i want to free the car up at the track also

Thanks guys

sleepermobile

Established Member
So im thinking about building up my rear end in the near future and im trying to see if i should run 3.73 or 3.90

i have a stock 3605 tranny in my 01 GT and i have a Vortech with all the works so what would be the better gear cause i do a good bit of daily driving if the weather is nice so i still need gas mileage but i want to free the car up at the track also

Thanks guys

I have been fighting this question in my mind for months. I have researched it a lot, asked this same question here a few times. Sounds like we have very similar cars, accept for trans. I have had a few guys here say 4 30s are best even with a s/c cars. Every thing I have found out says 3 90s are perfect. Im still gonna be hard headed and go 4 10s though:bash: I have also had 3 73s installed in a camaro, wasnt even impressed. Switched again to 3 91s and what a difference that little bit made, the car came alive.

Bluebullit

Established Member
From what I recall Ford doesn't make 3.90 gears. I know other companies do but when it comes to gears I will only get Ford. So 3.73.

Motive Performance Plus 3.90 Gears at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

yep they sure do and i rode in a buddies cobra that had a F1-a and 4.10 in the rear and it felt fast but he was shifting all the time and in the 1/4 he had to go into 5th gear so it killed his time. im thinking 3.90's are going to be the perfect median but i still have some time to think about it

sleepermobile

Established Member
Motive Performance Plus 3.90 Gears at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

yep they sure do and i rode in a buddies cobra that had a F1-a and 4.10 in the rear and it felt fast but he was shifting all the time and in the 1/4 he had to go into 5th gear so it killed his time. im thinking 3.90's are going to be the perfect median but i still have some time to think about it

I have done a great deal of research on this. I have found MANY s/c cars with 500+ rwhp, are running 3 55s - 3 90s. Im going with their experiences but sure want 4 10s:fm:

Bluebullit

Established Member
I have done a great deal of research on this. I have found MANY s/c cars with 500+ rwhp, are running 3 55s - 3 90s. Im going with their experiences but sure want 4 10s:fm:

i dont want 4.10's thats the deal, maybe if i was N/A cam instead of have a S/C but since i do have a blower i have made the decision between the 2 cause going from 3.27 to 3.55 seems like a waist of money and the 3.73 might be the gear for me since i still like to do a highway roll every now and then :) but the 3.90 would make for a better track car too. i need to talk to someone that has 3.90 and see what they say about the highway side of the issue

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
i went from 4.10's to 3.73's because i was afraid my engine would blow in fourth gear at the track. The 3.73's are nice with a blower and very streetable. Brought my rpm's down about 300 or so rpm's and i'm much more comfortable at the track now.

scotts99snake

Established Member
Not that it helps any but I have a 4.30 rear gear coupled with my p1. I don't regret it. It gets me into my useable rpms and keeps me there.

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah i mean my tranny is about to tank i think so im either gonna get a T-56 or an auto and if get an auto i think i might get the 4.30 but for a standard that is to much gear for me personally.

spxxdy86

RUN UR CAR NOT UR MOUTH
Established Member
Blackmach1 on here has 3.73 in his F1A procharged 5 speed, i believe he had 4.10's but ran out gear at the track or sumthing! Im doin 3.90's with my T-56

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
everyones afraid of 4.10's. bla bla bla. Its the only gear that will ever see my cars. I tach 3000 at 80 and the car moves out when i need it. Im going to run my s trim with 4.10's. vortech says ill need to invest in some sticky tires cause im going to roast the crap out of them. Dont fear the gear!!!

wtsn8ke

Established Member
I went from 3.73 to 4.10 with my procharger. Now i wish i had stuck with the 3.73's. 4.10's are just annoying on the freeway.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
When my car had the ported Eaton on it I ran 3.73's, 4.10's, and 4.30's. It also has stage III ported heads, so the power band was up higher in the RPM. I personally liked the 4.30's the most. I even ran nitrous with that setup. My best quarter time was with the 4.30's. I went through at 11.08@125 (7300 rpm).

If you don't run at the track with stlicks that often, then I'd suggest the 3.73's with the 5 speed. If you're going to install a cobra 6 speed then I'd suggest the 4.10's because of the crappy tall 1st gear in the 6 speed.

Deeper gears (4.10's 4.30's) are easier on clutches and transmissions, but harder on rearends. Taller gears (3.27's 3.55's) are harder on clutches and transmissions but easier on rearends.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I put 3.90s in my Cobra and wish it was 4.10s, much better in city traffic and they help to make up for the low compression in this heavy car.

Bluebullit

Established Member
thanks guys i think ill hold off on the gears till i get the tranny situation figured out but you all have game me some great ideas and i really appreciated

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Oh btw I have 3.73's. Love them with the blower. Its enough to get into the powerband and not too much gear to take away from a high speed run. And I have a t-56.

Bluebullit

Established Member
yeah that is what im looking for since all i mainly do is drive it around, i rarely run it at the track but that is mainly because i dont have track tires anymore and im scared the rearend is gonna crap on me lol

Users who are viewing this thread