Gear oil leak

whiplash920

Established Member
Just put in my new rear end...strange s track and strange 35 spline axles, new braces, welded, aND new diff cover. New rear has c clip eliminator and backing plates to hold the axles in. I accidentally overflowed the fluid when I filled it. As a result, I think some gear oil went down the axle tube and leaked out onto the inside wheel well after driving it. I drained the excess fluid by opening up the fill spot and letting the fluid drip out....couple ounces came out. Drove the car and after letting it sit, had a few drops on the wheel well.

I had previously sealed the axles in with rtv, but guessing I must have missed a little spot. Should I be concerned about this or not really. I'm thinking that since I took care of the overflow. The drips will stop....opinions?

barspen

Established Member
Did you fill at the diff? I didn't think it was possible overflow...you fill the diff until you get fluid coming out the top, clean it up an call it good. Might see a little extra oil flow out of the top if you get the gears warmed up, but it shouldn't be excessive. Not sure why it would come out of the axle ends (??), into the wheel. Do you have any picts?

I used a Lube Locker, reusable gasket, instead of messing with RTV. Well worth a few extra bucks IMHO.

whiplash920

Established Member
I filled at the diff...I think what happened was as the oil started to overflow, I squeezed a good amount itl into the diff, it poured out and onto my shoulder so I put the plug in and cleaned up. The oil actually is dripping off abs sensor (lowest point) onto the wheel well. The first time I took it apart after noticing the leak I could see a small amount of oil in and down the axle tube...but I didn't think too much about it bc I've heard that is normal. No?

barspen

Established Member
If it's a small amount, you cleaned it up and it doesn't happen again, I would call it good. If you continually see oil, you probably have a leak somewhere. Mine came out the top, in a small vent...but it want't much oil at all. just enough to make the diff look a little dirty.

Again, I don't think you can really 'overfill' the diff. Any excess will just run out and cause a mess.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I think he's talking about it coming out of the axle ends because pretty much every c clip eliminator kit out there leaks. Take them out, clean it off, and spread a nice load of Motorcraft RTV around the thing and press them back in. I have to do that now since it started leaking with the eliminators.

Users who are viewing this thread