Gauge Shield

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
The clear plastic shield covering the gauges is VERY EASY to scratch.... Then it looks like hell under a strong light.

Any suggestions for cleaning without scratching? And for removing scratches?

:beer:

KingKobra

Established Member
That's so funny that you say that, because I noticed it for the first time today... it's basically covered in minute surface scratches. I'm going to try Turtle Watch Scratch/Swirl cream today... I'll let you know it works.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
How about one of those micro-fiber glasses cleaning rags. Works wonders on my saftey glasses.

KingKobra

Established Member
Gauge Shield Swirls, BE GONE!

Ok, this was a test... I decided to put this swirl remover on my guage last night after cleaning my car to see if it would get rid of the thousands of swirls my guage shield already has and leave a more glass-like appearance.

THIS WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

It got my guage shield so smooth and scratch-free that I could see the dust on the OTHER SIDE OF THE plexiglass!

Here's what I did:

1) opened bottle and tipped it upside down and onto a VERY SOFT towel, just putting a touch of remover on the towel.

2) applied the remover cream in a circular motion evenly and carefully over the whole surface.

3) quickly and firmly rubbed a dry portion of the towel until all the hazyness from the cream was gone.

VIOALA! My guage looks like glass now.

This product had no negative effect on the plexiglass material.

This is what I used:
turtlewax.gif

Last edited:

Weasel

Established Member
It's funny that you guys had a similar problem as I. The day I got the car I noticed these scratches and swirls on that cover. I've been cursing the prep guy to myself everytime the sun shines on it and I see the scratches. I was considering getting a new cover, but you have come to the rescue. I'll buy some today and give it a try.

Thanks !
Mike

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Great info. I have some McGuire's scratch removal stuff. I'll try that.

KingKobra

Established Member
Black2003, yea, I'm sure any swirl remover does the job. ;)

I'd like to add this info to the new tech articles, so McGuire results might be nice to have! :beer:

Mowgli

Established Member
Talk about serendipity. Just two days ago I noticed I had swirled up my gauge cover. Thanks for the tip!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
Black2003, yea, I'm sure any swirl remover does the job. ;)

I'd like to add this info to the new tech articles, so McGuire results might be nice to have! :beer:

I'll let you know how it works out.

BrianR

Mild Mannered
Established Member
When I bought my '72 Challenger, the gauges looked like they had opaque plastic covering them. I used the McGuire's scratch remover made for plastics, they looked brand new when I finished. I highly recommend it.

Two point five more weeks for my 03!

Brian

KingKobra

Established Member
Thanks Brian! I'll note that in the tech article!

Congrats on the coming 03... I drove the SVT cobra on my Sony Playstation (Grand Tourismo) nonstop because otherwise, I would go out of my mind! :beer:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Meguiar's makes several products specifically for plastic - one is #10. They work great.

For cleaning, never dry wipe - use some detailer's spray misted on (not dripping) the gauge shield.

Brad

Banned
This is my 3rd SVT, and they all have had this problem, I am going to get turtle wax today, thanx:-D

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Thanks KingKobra and others.... Good advice for a nagging problem....

Very worthwhile thread....

:beer:

:rolling:

:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread