Gauge install instructions.

kaos

Established Member
Do any of you guys have some instructions for an install of an Electric water temp and oil pressure gauge. I'm totally clueless, but I'm going to start on it on Saturday. These are Autometer gauges.

I have these.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=232504
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171618&highlight=gauge+install
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157928&highlight=gauge+install
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24703&highlight=gauge+install

I figure I'm going to install the water temp in the crossover tube and I hope it fits. If not, can I just use tons of teflon tape or is that a bad thing.

Both gauges say to route the white wire to 12v dash lighting. Where is that? And then to route the black wire to a ground as well.

It looks like there are two grounds I need to connect. From the gauge it says a good ground. But what is a good ground? Then there is another part on the gauge that says connect this to an Engine ground. So is this two different locations?

Also what/ where is the ignition switch?

The instructions say to use teflon sealing compound. Is that the same as teflon tape?

I'm guessing I also need to buy 18-gauge. Correct?

I have more questions, but I think once I actually get underneath my car I might be able to figure out.

Thanks.

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
Well for the oil pressure I would run it off the plug directly next to the oil pressure switch by the filter. Autometer fittings that come with the kit work perfectly. But you might want to use copper line instead of the nylon tube. If it ever melts, cracks, breaks you will be in a world of hurt. Just run the power for the gauge lights off the harness for your headlights. Tap it into the dimmer wire. That way it can be adjusted for brightness like the factory lights and such.

As for the water temp, you can put it in the cross over pipe. What I plan to do is to remove the pipe, drill a hole in it and tap it for a fitting. That way it looks and functions the best. Wiring everything is pretty basic. If you have any questions email me.

Greg
[email protected]

wallie40

Established Member
I agree with stock svt. Pretty straight forward. I run the same setup , almost i run a mechanical oil. Just run the temp from the cross-over tube. I ordered a part from svtoa.. something chapter and the adapter worked great and no teflon. I would recommend it and doing it right.

The oil you can just get an adapter(you need to keep you existing switch or you will get a check engine light the idiot light lets the computer know if it falls below 5psi and that is it.). You need a T to put in there.

you can email too if you need some help!

-pAUl

[email protected]

good luck!

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
If you need more specific info on where to splic for the lights/dimming capabilities shoot me a PM, I can take all the pics etc since I just un-installed all my guages and haven't gotten the car all back together. Let me know man.

P.S. you can gimme a ring to, (801)979-1062 if ya get stuck. I aint doing anything today so if ya need help let me know.

kaos

Established Member
OMG! What an install!!!

I broke my oil cooler adapter. It has a hairline fracture in it. Actually I'm not to sure I did, but regardless I need to get that fixed.

I will post more details on all my trials and tribulations with this install. Talk about learning so much this weekend.

The only thing that works right now is that the gauges light up and they also dim. They don't move or do anything else. I don't think it's the ground because I combined all the grounds into one and the gauges light up. I think it might be the ignition wire. I either tapped into it wrong or it's not the right wire. The only thing I know is that wire was dead with the key off and live with the key on. But a lot of wire do that I found today. So which one is best?

kaos

Established Member
I got the gauges to power up. I hadn't spliced properly the power wire. I won't know for sure if everything is working until I fix the oil cooler adapter, but here are some in progress pics for anybody that wants to see.

http://www.omslaw.net/gauge.html

kaos

Established Member
Thanks. It's cool, this will give me a chance to change out my thermostat and do something with the water sender. I don't think it's going to hold the water in the way it's sitting right now. Cobra90gt sent me this link and I want to do it this way.

http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/tmpsensr.html

I used a blue wire from the autometer and I found some light colored blue wire that was hot when I turned on the power. There were others that I found, that did the same thing, but they were harder to reach. You can see the blue wire I used and you can kinda see the light blue wire I tapped into.

WTF! My site is down. Stupid web hosting company. I don't think it should be long.

EDITED because I was spreading vicious false internet rumors. :)_

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
I've manufactured an Electric Water Temperature Sensor Adapter for the 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Cobra that fits in the Crossover Tube Plug. I'm not sure if they are the same thread as the ones for the 01's but here is what they look like.

TempAdapter1.jpg

TempAdapter2.jpg

(Water Temperature Sensor Not Included)

I'm selling them for 35.00 Shipped. That is about 7.50 each cheaper than the other company that use to make them, but no longer does.

Anyone interested can contact me here, or at [email protected]

I have a Business Verified PayPal Account ([email protected]) with 155 Verified Buyers. I also have an Ebay Account (pro-data) with a 100% Positive Feedback of 199 and climbing.

Anyone who doesn't want to use PayPal can send a Check or Money Order.

PM me for the snail-mail address.

Your order will ship as soon as the Check / Money Order clears the bank.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
cobra29 said:
If you can find out if they will fit a 99 cobra then I will definately take one.

Thanks
Ravi.

If you want to buy one to try it, I'll refund your money if it doesn't work. The shipping to send it back to me will only be about $2.00 via USPS 1st Class in a Bubble Envelope.

kaos

Established Member
Looks good. That should help people out there. I got lucky and found someone to make mine.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
I recently purchased a water temp adapter from BLK03SVT10TH for my Autometer Phantom electrical water temp gauge & it worked like a charm. No more leaks. :)

04Screamer

Established Member
wallie40 said:
I ordered a part from svtoa.. something chapter and the adapter worked great and no teflon. I would recommend it and doing it right.

I agree. Those particular adapters aren't being made anymore last time I checked, but I also got one from BLK03SVT10TH and it works great. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link, kaos. :)

Users who are viewing this thread