gates belt???chirping??

urmaker45

Established Member
I have a 2.8 upper 100m idler and 4 lb lower both metco gates belt and for a year now ive been through three belts and two idlers it seems like about 3 months and the belt will start squilling/chirping upon a cold start then will go away after a few minutes when it warms up im about to pull my hair out thinking about going with a gatorback belt but cannot find any...anybody else with this same problem??

ian04

Established Member
yes i had this same problem and couldnt figure it out either after i installed my 2lb lower but i would ony get a few hundred miles before they squealed i run a gaterback now and i have not had a problem for a few thousand miles now but when i put the GB on i allso checked my pulley alinment and it was off after the lower install i had to pull my blower pully out an 1/8 inch i think that was most of my problem

KILRSVT

Established Member
I got that issue when the belt is cold... When the car gets hot no chirp . Happens when shifting under load . I think it's a mixture of worn out grooved overheated pullies and glazed belt

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
I have a brand new gates belt and it chrips when cold and also chrips when under load. Thinking about taking a welding brush to the grooves to rough then up to grip and stop chipping. Belt has about 40 Mikes on it and it drives me nuts!

ian04

Established Member
take a straitedge off the crank pulley and see if its runen true with the other pullies really the blower pulley when i searched it seem to comman that after lower installs the blower pully needs to be pulled out 1/16 to 1/8 inch i changed belts a few times before i checked the alingment it seemed to fix my problem been chirpen free for thousands of miles now its was so frustrating starten my car up and hearen that

SVTSNAKE209

Established Member
Yep its the Gates I just went through this. I bought a brand new Gates belt and after 25 miles it started chirping/squealing. Bought a GB and it fixed it, the GB has a sound of its own kinda sounds like a turbo charger.

2fst4urtrk

OHIM2FST4U
Established Member
All pulleys aligned, thought it could be a over tightened pulley on the lfp lower kit but I'm going to pick up a halfback and see what happens.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Never had chirping of the stock belt. Bought a Gates belt today and it will go on tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if I have the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread