gas worries?

bchisom99

Established Member
Anyone else getting a little concerned about the price of premium gas, it was 2.45 here the other day, took almost $40 to fill up the snake....maybe looking into a newer taurus or 99 CSVT as a DD, I'm not near poor, however almost $300-500/month in gas is not gonna be that kind on the bank account....

PoisonSnake

Banned
How are you spending $300 a month for GAS? That's like $75 a week. You can't be using that much gas are you? You mean for all the cars you own it totals that much or just for the snake?

Last edited:

RHSPJETER64

Established Member
Yeah that seems a lil high for just the snake. I filled up the GT today and it was $2.19... Whatever happened to $1.87??

03Cobra_hopeful

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F ?
Established Member
Thats what I would like to know..
What ever happened to like $1.87
You know, back when gas was cheap..
I paid.. $2.25 for 93 the other day. (22gal tank)
Thats all I run..
I think that is the highest it has been.
Best I can recall, at least.

bchisom99

Established Member
at 2.45/gallon, its just about $300/month,.....filling up at least twice a week, unfortunatly I don't live 2 miles away from work, more like 40....if you can advise me on a way to get this cobra to get 30mpg I'll gladly do it...

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Oil prices are at a record high, currently at about $56 to $57 a barrel. OPEC has been talking of producing an additonal 500,000 barrels a day (equivalent to about 2% of their total production levels now) to help ease tension, but it doesn't sound like enough to help much. The shitty thing is, there have been predictions of oil hitting $80 a barrel in the next two years.

bchisom99

Established Member
$80/barrel and I'm thinking about dumping the snake to resto a 71 Chevelle....like I'm gonna be able to sell a car that gets 4mpg....better start shopping for Csvt's for a DD

bchisom99

Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
Invest in a hybrid I guess.

this may be the only time that the word invest and a vehicle are used in the same sentence, if I had a prius I would put it in the paper for like 10g's over what I paid for it just waiting for some cash-flow sensitive shlep to eat it up.....

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
bchisom99 said:
this may be the only time that the word invest and a vehicle are used in the same sentence, if I had a prius I would put it in the paper for like 10g's over what I paid for it just waiting for some cash-flow sensitive shlep to eat it up.....

Very true. And not a bad idea.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I'll always have an economy low gas consumption car for a daily driver, and a gas guzzling beast for a weekend warrior so I'm not too worried. It only makes situations better for me when people want to sell their daily driver hot-rods for an economy car. I'll buy their hot-rod for cheap as a weekend warrior while I keep my economy car for a DD.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Worried, har, scared shitless hell yeah. When your entire world relies on fuel in one way or the other yes I'm worried. From diesel to run tractors/combines to the trucks we run as well. I'm going back to college next year though, hopefully have something to fall back on.

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
I usually spend around 60 bucks on gas a month. Daily driver plus about 40 mins each way to go ride my bike. (ride abotu 2/3 times a week)

One of the few things cool about a 1.8L.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I figure that back in the times of the man's beginning, we didn't rely on oil. If we could survive back then, why can't we survive now? We are the most sophisticated creature on this planet. We'll find a way. No worries. I have faith.

If you believe in the Bible, we will be killed off in the Apocalypse, not from a fuel shortage.

Last edited:

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
I don't think people should be that worried. Even if gas does run out we have alternative fuels. We have hydrogen cars coming out in the next couple of years. We have bio-diesel for diesel trucks. We are finding different ways of making plastics without petroleum. The worst problem the end of petroleum is going to bring is the big hump where theres going to be a change from fossil fuels to hydrogen.

It's the oil companies fault anyway. They destroyed the carburetor that got 100mpg in the 70s.

Last edited:

Kurt Busch

#1 CRYSTAL PALACE FAN
Established Member
Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16"
BuckChoklit said:
I don't think people should be that worried. Even if gas does run out we have alternative fuels. We have hydrogen cars coming out in the next couple of years. We have bio-diesel for diesel trucks. We are finding different ways of making plastics without petroleum. The worst problem the end of petroleum is going to bring is the big hump where theres going to be a change from fossil fuels to hydrogen.

It's the oil companies fault anyway. They destroyed the carburetor that got 100mpg in the 70s.

You're right but the hydrogen fueled cars have a long long ways to go. Right now a 4.2L V6 hydrogen fuel engine yields only 80hp, and a 6L V10 supercharged hydrogen engine is good for only 180 hp. They are great for fleet vehicles but I wouldn't want one in my L that's for sure.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
BuckChoklit said:

I think it is all a joke, by the time we "would" run out of fossil fuels, the engines that we use to run on them would be far outdated and not used anymore. We would be using more efficient and economical means of transportation and have no need for gas/diesel internal combustion engines. Just my .02 :shrug:

Kurt Busch

#1 CRYSTAL PALACE FAN
Established Member
Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16"
99cobrablack said:
I think it is all a joke, by the time we "would" run out of fossil fuels, the engines that we use to run on them would be far outdated and not used anymore. We would be using more efficient and economical means of transportation and have no need for gas/diesel internal combustion engines. Just my .02 :shrug:

While no one knows for sure the amount of oil reserve we have, some people estimates it between 30-60 years before we exhaust all of Earths natural oil reserves.
And while the oil drilling technology constantly evolves, it's getting harder and harder to find and extract oil as it requires drilling deeper and deeper, which will drive up cost even more.
One thing is for sure, fossil fuel deposits are not endless and we will run out completely, maybe even sometime in our lifetime.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Kurt Busch said:
While no one knows for sure the amount of oil reserve we have, some people estimates it between 30-60 years before we exhaust all of Earths natural oil reserves.
And while the oil drilling technology constantly evolves, it's getting harder and harder to find and extract oil as it requires drilling deeper and deeper, which will drive up cost even more.
One thing is for sure, fossil fuel deposits are not endless and we will run out completely, maybe even sometime in our lifetime.
Most of the speculations have been more than conservative IMHO. We have yet to tap alot of places where oil might be, ie: Antarctica, parts in Alaska. Just my opinion from various readings, and speculations about the amount of oil we have left, do you think we will still be running gas/diesel engines for a majority in the next 60 years?? From the way they have progressed from the non-emissions motors in the late 60's to what they are now.

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
Oil prices are at a record high, currently at about $56 to $57 a barrel. OPEC has been talking of producing an additonal 500,000 barrels a day (equivalent to about 2% of their total production levels now) to help ease tension, but it doesn't sound like enough to help much. The shitty thing is, there have been predictions of oil hitting $80 a barrel in the next two years.

This is 100% correct and when the prices hit $80 a barrell we will be looking at over $3 a gallon!

Users who are viewing this thread