Gas Tank Straps

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert, thank you for all the pics and explanations.

My cause for my confusion came from my '13 UCA mount being completely free of the tank, the tank not covering up any part of the mount.
This is of course quite the opposite of what I saw when I worked on my fiancee's '08 GT500

My UCA & mount (pic was taken when I was replacing my driveshaft, can easily see the forward bolt even though I was under the tank):

20151230_UCAdiff_1.jpg

The fiancee's car (you can kinda see the forward part of the UCA mount sitting above the fuel tank):

20160721_UCA2.jpg

I have never seen a mount that has the front bolt totally exposed. Maybe the 2013-up is different?

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Robert, thank you for all the pics and explanations.

My cause for my confusion came from my '13 UCA mount being completely free of the tank, the tank not covering up any part of the mount.
This is of course quite the opposite of what I saw when I worked on my fiancee's '08 GT500

My UCA & mount (pic was taken when I was replacing my driveshaft, can easily see the forward bolt even though I was under the tank):

20151230_UCAdiff_1.jpg

Upon further research, and some info. gathered from that Great resource "eBay", you are right, 2013 and 2014 had a tank redesign as shown in the link below, and that redesign would expose the front mount bolt........I assume the same UCA/UCM as 2011/12, but new tank design for 2013.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-f...ash=item2362587a56:g:B8sAAOSwpzdWs~Qv&vxp=mtr

Thank you for the info., I will keep that auction picture for future discussions and document that the GT500 fuel tanks are 2007-2010, 2011/12 and 2013/14.

R

Last edited:

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Upon further research, and some info. gathered from that Great resource "eBay", you are right, 2013 and 2014 had a tank redesign as shown in the link below, and that redesign would expose the front mount bolt........I assume the same UCA/UCM as 2011/12, but new tank design for 2013.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-f...ash=item2362587a56:g:B8sAAOSwpzdWs~Qv&vxp=mtr

Thank you for the info., I will keep that auction picture for future discussions and document that the GT500 fuel tanks are 2007-2010, 2011/12 and 2013/14.

R

So we got it figured out then.
Well, You got it figured out.
Always assumed the '10-'14 body, having been redesigned from the '05-'09 style, had the new tank like my car has.
Then started thinking maybe only the '11-'14 cars did, since the whole car got reworked even more for the '11 year due to the Coyote coming online.
Now to know that there's 2 different tanks for the '11-'14 years ... good info!
Thanks!

Snoopy49

Established Member
I decided to post the eBay pictures of the 2013-13 tank for future reference. Thanks to Robert M.

2013 GT500 Gas Tank - Top.jpg

2013 GT500 Gas Tank - Bottom.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I decided to post the eBay pictures of the 2013-13 tank for future reference. Thanks to Robert M.

View attachment 71141

View attachment 71142

I wonder if the 2013-14 tank would be a "somewhat" easy retrofit to the earlier cars, if for some reason the original tank had to be removed for whatever reason? My guess is that the pump assy's would not plug and play to the earlier wire harness and it would become a big project..........if the tank assy. itself would even fit in the earlier cars? I am guessing the bottom sheet metal floor is the same?

In another discussion on a different forum, I noticed the fuel tank shields/deflectors that attach to the floor ahead of the fuel tank on each side appeared to have been changed for 2013/14, but I did not notice the complete tank change in the photo's from that discussion.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Snoop - You have easy access to the Ford Parts info., can you check and see if the spanner ring and/or O-ring that hold the pump/sending unit assy. in place are the same for any of the earlier cars and the 2013/14?

Thanks, R

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Maybe the tank change was dictated by the switch to the capless filler pipe?
Do the '11-'12 cars have that system or do they have a cap on there?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Maybe the tank change was dictated by the switch to the capless filler pipe?
Do the '11-'12 cars have that system or do they have a cap on there?

I was not sure when capless was first offered on a Mustang (our 2011 Explorer has it), but here is some info. from Edmunds on their long term test cars.............

ximm_zpslqflefwn.jpg

Ford pioneered the Easy Fuel Capless Fuel Filler back in 2008 (on the 2009 Explorer), and we've lived with a few Fords with it since, including our long-term 2009 Ford Flex, 2010 Ford Mustang GT, 2011 Ford Explorer and 2013 Focus ST. Our orange long-term 2015 Ford Mustang GT is the latest.

-------------------------------------------

}}}}and back to information from the "Great" eBay..........2010-2014 GT500 Capless Fuel Filler Neck......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Filler...ash=item3f618c4b96:g:yyoAAOSw3mpXGQc2&vxp=mtr

^^^^^^I wonder if I can retro that back to my 2008?...........No more gas cap touching the paint!!!

R

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the looks of the different layouts, the 2007-9 may not be compatible with the later tanks and hardware. 2010-12 have the best chance of an upgrade.

Here are the diagrams and part numbers from Tasca

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yikes! For almost a grand I will lower the tank.

I agree with you there, and I would buy something like the used tank on eBay, sell the used pumps to recoup some $$$, and then if possible, install my oem pumps in that newer style tank. <<<But this would require some additional research and parts comparison to verify "if" the earlier pumps would even fit properly in the newer tank.

Me personally, I had though about it a few months ago, but now this thread has re-ignited my interest..........I may research retro fitting the capless tube assy. on my 2008, just to clean things up during fuel filling.

R

BamBam650

Established Member
I am running into the same problem on my '08 with end of the UCA mount getting caught between the body and the gas tank so I am going to have to lower the tank. Is there any need to be concerned with the fill spout when lowering the tank or are all the hoses, fittings, etc. flexible enough to accommodate lowering the rear of the tank by about an inch.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yes, the '11 GT500 has the cap-less filler neck. I also had to lower my tank to replace the UCA mount. That was one of the most frustrating mod days I've ever had installing that dang thing!

barspen

Established Member
I am running into the same problem on my '08 with end of the UCA mount getting caught between the body and the gas tank so I am going to have to lower the tank. Is there any need to be concerned with the fill spout when lowering the tank or are all the hoses, fittings, etc. flexible enough to accommodate lowering the rear of the tank by about an inch.

Its pretty easy after you can get the torx bolts out (PITA). Just pivot the tank a inch or two for access...be aware you may hear some of the fiberglass (?) pull away. I'd strongly suggest running the gas tank as close to empty as possible and support the tank weight with jack stands on both sides. An extra set of hands is helpful.

As GT Premi mention, its not a fun mod. Locking in the jam nuts on the adjustable ends was a royal pain and I had to make several trips to get it right. Access around the OTA pipes is a huge issue. But the end results of having a MUCH better UCA is worth it in the end.

BamBam650

Established Member
Thanks guys. I agree, this is definitely not a fun mod. The videos make it look so easy, but they have the luxury of having the car on a lift and using all of the nice air tools. I wish I had known about the need to lower the gas tank before I started and could have run the tank dry. I'm afraid I'm stuck now. I'm just going to have to rig up some type of support system using my hydraulic jacks.

deepblue13

Established Member
I didn't have much issue even with half a tank of gas. Came down very minimal to actual get it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread