Gas smell while driving

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
while driving the 98 I get random whiffs of gas through the AC vent. Its strong enough that I'm positive its gas and not something else and its not there all the time.
I've pulled over as soon as I smell it and pop the hood w/ the car running to see if there are any leaks. There are none that I can smell or see under the hood.
I've heard of some of the older foxes having rotten gas tank filler gaskets but usually you can smell it on them when you walk by the car, I can't imagine the fumes from the tank making their way into the AC going 40mph.

Any thoughts? I've decided to park the car until I figure it out so I don't burn it to the ground. I'm almost at the point I would pay someone to find and fix this.

car is 100% stock aside from cat back and wheels. It had this smell before swapping catbacks and I spotted no leaks while underneath putting it on.

97cobratiny

97cobraTiny
Established Member
While I was clening my IMRC's I put everything back together but one of the injectors wasn't seated all the way in and I had a gas smell. The car ran fine just had a gas smell while driving. The only evidence was a small amout of gas in around the injector. Not sure if will help but check all the injectors to make sure they are in all seated correctly.

F8L BYT

Established Member
Im betting on it being the fuel filler neck gasket that goes in the tank. They are notorious for going bad on our cars and I had to replace mine not too long ago and I could smell it a lot too. If you drive it and make a constant left turn and you can smell it pretty well then its most likely it thats the best way to tell.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Im betting on it being the fuel filler neck gasket that goes in the tank. They are notorious for going bad on our cars and I had to replace mine not too long ago and I could smell it a lot too. If you drive it and make a constant left turn and you can smell it pretty well then its most likely it thats the best way to tell.

Although it doesn't seem like this is the problem here, this same thing happened to me. It's easy enough to check and rule out so you might as well take a look.

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member

I don't know if that's the cause of the smell but I think its leaking. I noticed the black plastic cover was wet on the sides and sort of greasy when I picked the car up. I've only had it a few weeks and i've put about 200 miles on it.
I wrote it off as being tire shine so I washed the car and scrubbed that area.
Well the greasy look is back again on the passenger side.

And on to the next question.

My 98 is a return style fuel system but the GT's were not. Which filler grommet do it need? When I look at places like 50resto or CJ parts they list the 98 as different from 96/97 & 99+ does mine use the same one as the GT's or do I need the one for the 97? Neither specify v6/gt/cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread