Gas Prices

PONY MAN

Established Member
Just wondering, do you think if the speed limit would be reduced to 55-60 [ during peak driving season ] mph, would it help noticeably in conserving some gas ?

Rdslightning

Black Is The Fastest.
Established Member
Honestly I dont think they will. As far as how much gas will it save, It depends on the car (if it would save any at all). I personally dont think it would make a difference. But what alot of companies are thinking about doing, is going to a 4 day work week. And i think that if Gas is going up as much as we are being led to belive i think you will see alot of companies do that.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Breaking News. Bush suspends adding gas to strategic Reserve. Thats a first, not really sure it will help. Don't know how much we put aside each year. Is this a good idea?

PONY MAN

Established Member
03snake said:
Breaking News. Bush suspends adding gas to strategic Reserve. Thats a first, not really sure it will help. Don't know how much we put aside each year. Is this a good idea?
I would like to see the prices level off in some fashion.
Maybe for a short time, the suspension would be okay, [ maybe during summer season ] .
Deep in my heart, I think greed is the main driving force behind high gas prices.
Oil companies are making some outrageous profits while the country suffers.
I would hate to be a courier right now.

Pudmunkies

Established Member
I hate the high gas prices as much as the next guy, but the whole attitude that we as americans are supposed to have 1.xx / gallon gas by birthright is rediculous. Look at what everyone else has to pay for gasoline.

We reaped the benefits of being the largest consumer for a long time. The economic karma is back to deal with us now that china is growing and increasing its demands. Everybody thought the U.S would be the top economic power forever, but just wait and see what happens in this global economy we've created.

No sense getting bent out of shape on gas, granted my little slow contour doesnt suck down as much premium as the mustangs and lightnings on the board. Time for me to just man up and pay the price, I like putting the go foot all the way down on a regular basis, and I need to pay for it.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
How many gas price threads are needed really?

The price of gas sucks, we know this, we didnt buy SVT vehicles to conserve gas. Sell your car and buy a honda.

GA Terminator

Established Member
PONY MAN said:
Just wondering, do you think if the speed limit would be reduced to 55-60 [ during peak driving season ] mph, would it help noticeably in conserving some gas ?

Some years ago the national speed limit was reduced to 55mph. It was proven that semi's we less efficent at 55mph than at 65mph. Reducing the speed limt is not the issue, it the big oil companies, price gouging and the oil cartel's.

PONY MAN

Established Member
Pudmunkies said:
I hate the high gas prices as much as the next guy, but the whole attitude that we as americans are supposed to have 1.xx / gallon gas by birthright is rediculous. Look at what everyone else has to pay for gasoline.

We reaped the benefits of being the largest consumer for a long time. The economic karma is back to deal with us now that china is growing and increasing its demands. Everybody thought the U.S would be the top economic power forever, but just wait and see what happens in this global economy we've created.

No sense getting bent out of shape on gas, granted my little slow contour doesnt suck down as much premium as the mustangs and lightnings on the board. Time for me to just man up and pay the price, I like putting the go foot all the way down on a regular basis, and I need to pay for it.
If gas keeps going up , it is not going to be good for nobody.
I understand what you are saying about manning up & paying,but it would be hard to change my mind about the greed factor,when the oil campanies are making the profits they are making right now.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
PONY MAN said:
Absolutely it would as long as we abide by it. It has already been proven back in 1973 when we had the Arab oil embargo and speed limits were reduced nationally to 55MPH. Not only did it save millions and millions of gallons of gas, but it also reduced highway fatalities. Anyone who states they get better gas mileage at 70 than at 55 is smoking crack.

U.M.

Last edited:

PONY MAN

Established Member
I wouldn't mind driving a little slower myself to do my part.
Not saying is is all big oil companies fault & we should all do our part to cnserve for now.
For those who say, I will pay whatever,that is what the oil companies like to hear.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
I dont see the point in lowering the speed limit, hell, people dont do the "speed limit" now. Not much would change IMHO. People need to quit being greedy assholes and not try to rape people on gas. IMO, 2.00 for gas would be fine. I doubt it will ever get back down to 1.50ish prices, but come on, think of how much MORE gas stations would make right now if they lowered prices...

PONY MAN

Established Member
madmatt said:
I dont see the point in lowering the speed limit, hell, people dont do the "speed limit" now. Not much would change IMHO. People need to quit being greedy assholes and not try to rape people on gas. IMO, 2.00 for gas would be fine. I doubt it will ever get back down to 1.50ish prices, but come on, think of how much MORE gas stations would make right now if they lowered prices...
Yep, $2.00 would be a good reasonable price.
I know there is economic growth in China & India & more cars on us highways,but when you hear of the profits that the oil companies are making & no news of new refineries. :bs:
I think crude oil dropped close to $2.00 today. :shrug:

Bullitt1171

Established Member
What many people don't know is that the federal government makes about 50 cents more on a gallon of gas than the oil companies do. If the government got rid of taxes of oil our gas prices would be lower...

BooRail85

Banned
well, according to the instructors at school, the reason for the jump in price is because of the different additives placed in the gas. We have switched from a methanol mixture to a ethanol mixture. Supposedly, the mixture will gradually get more concentrated, causing higher prices to continue (some say, all the way up to $5/gal) .. but.. apparantly one the mixture is set right and the keep renewing the source of ethanol, gas is supposed to drop back down and stabilize at around $2/gal. This is supposed to be around 2008.

we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I think its bs, but thats just me.

stango

StangoWango
Established Member
madmatt said:

Yea, $2.00 would be a great price for gas but generally gas station owners can't magically lower the price of gas to two dollars to sell more gas. Its all about economics (supply and demand) and if across the country lots of gas stations lowered the price of gas to $2.00, which would be well below the fair market value there would be pure havoc in the oil market having a domino effect on the entire US market and probably the global market.

bnglcat

Established Member
madmatt said:
... think of how much MORE gas stations would make right now if they lowered prices...

If only one or two lowered, they would make out because everyone would swarm there until the gas was gone. In reality, gas stations only make about 2-3 cents per gallon that they sell. They don't typically make their money on gas, they make it on people running inside to buy other things that are priced much higher than a grocery store.

SC-Lightning

Established Member
Bullitt1171 said:
What many people don't know is that the federal government makes about 50 cents more on a gallon of gas than the oil companies do. If the government got rid of taxes of oil our gas prices would be lower...

Check your math, the federal excise taxes are 18.4 cents per gallon of gasoline.

tankerman1981

Established Member
well there are soo many gas threads right now it's getting mind numbing i tell ya.... well i didn't buy my cobra to get 30 MPG and yes it sucks to pay over $3 a gallon for gas but hey you could kinda see it coming and all..... there are no "quick" fixes.... we will just have to ride it out and see what happens in the future....

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
If you want to save some money on gas!! (Typically, the lowest price day of the week is generally Tuesday midday or Wednesday morning.)

"Gas prices sometimes go up on Thursday," "This is when demand starts creeping up. People go away for the weekend. So it's high then and then it slowly starts creeping down after the weekend.

As far as I can tell, the rising price of gas is a result of many factors. Some of the factors include:

-The exploding demand from China (supply and demand).
-Restrictions on drilling from the environmentalist religion.
-Damage to the refineries from hurricanes.
-No new refineries built in many decades.
-The OPEC cartel that controls prices rather than let the market set the price.

Frankly, I think the fact that the oil companies make any profit at all is a miracle. But really, the most likely cause of the profits is the margin on oil bought at cheaper prices being sold as the price goes up.

Last edited:

sawman70

Something Witty!
Established Member
GA Terminator said:
Reducing the speed limt is not the issue, it the big oil companies, price gouging and the oil cartel's.

This is wrong.

Big oil makes about 7 cents a gallon off of gasoline. IT IS THE GOVERMENT THAT IS MAKING THE MONEY. They make over 70 cents a gallon.

RANT ON

GAS HAS ONLY GONE UP 60% SINCE 1972
HOUSING HAS GONE UP 300%
FOOD 275%
TUITION 300%
AND THE F*****N SENATORS HAVE GOTTEN A 235% PAY INCREASE SINCE 1972.
BUT GAS, GAS HAS ONLY GONE UP 60% IT IS THE TAXES ON THE GAS THAT ARE RAISING, NOT SO MUCH THE FUEL ITSELF.
IT IS NOT OIL, IT IS NOT GEORGE BUSH, IT IS THE GOVERNMENT AS A HOLE. THEY CAN'T TAX OUR FOOD (FOR NOW) SO THEY BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF US AT THE PUMPS.

RANT OFF

Users who are viewing this thread