Gas prices..........LET'S DO IT

lilblond75

Steve's BRAT!
Established Member
I recived this in my email this morning thought I would share it with everyone

LET'S DO IT!!!!!!!
> >
> >
> > IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
> >
> >
> >
> > AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
> >
> >
> >
> > THEREFORE WEDNESDAY MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.
> >
> >
> >
> > THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
> >
> >
> >
> > WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
> >
> >
> >
> > REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
> >
> >
> >
> > WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
> >
> >
> >
> > SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Boycotting one station will do nothing. And chosing one day means larger lines the day after. They are going to get their money no matter what. Gas is not their cash cow. Think outside the box.

Does a boxer keep punching somebody on the top of the head when they know it does no damage. No! They go for the jaw or where it is effective.

Gas stations make most of their money on you buying from their convenient store. So what you do is everytime you pay you tell the clerk you are boycotting the c-store until prices come down and shopping at 7-11 across the street. Then tell everyone filling up the same thing. Eventually a clerk will hear it 100x per day and pass it on to their boss who will confirm it with low sales levels. After several months of making absolutely nothing the owner will pass it on to the refineries. The refineries then get 100's of calls a day saying the local gas stations are going to go out of business if something isn't done.

Now put yourself in exxon/Mobiles position. You have a choice. Watch THE PEOPLE put the gas stations out of business thus lowering your distributors and profit or lower your price to get the people back on your side.

THIS WILL WORK IF ENOUGH VOICES SPEAK UP. STOP BITCHING AND TRY IT. PASS IT ON. E-MAIL EVERYONE YOU KNOW. AND DON'T GIVE IN AND BUY ANYTHING FROM THEIR STORE. PERIOD.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I probably wont need to buy gas on the 19th so I doubt i'll do it just because I dont need gas.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Originally posted by Hydroshutter
I probably wont need to buy gas on the 19th so I doubt i'll do it just because I dont need gas.

Actually I just bought it yeaterday. $2.25 was the cheapest I could find. So I won't be needing any either.

Off the exit for my work it is at $2.39 for 87, $2.49 for 89, and 2.59 for 91.

lilblond75

Steve's BRAT!
Established Member
I'm not saying I agree with this because gas prices are gas prices.......We are not going to change them just buy one day like you said. I just thought I would share and see what people had to say So let's hearwhat you guys have to say.

I have to get to work and to the store so I am going to buy gas no matter what...........well unless it gets eally high them I will not guess I will have to start walking:-D

SVTHorsnake

Banned
all these wierd-ass ideas should be ignored... it's been calculated? how? where? please people... don't be nuts. leave the economic "calculations" up to people who know what the hell they're talking about.

slick4_6

Established Member
Right now where I live at, most convenience stores are making less than 3cent a gallon. If you use a credit card, some stores around here are actually paying you 1cent a gallon just to buy from them. Trying to keep consumers happy. To put this in perspective, 10 years ago they made more than 10cent a gallon on average. C stores want the price to come down to, we always made more money when gas prices were down than we did when they went up.

Talk to someone from overseas. A foreign exchange teacher from England gets a kick out of hearing morons around here bitch about the price of gas when it could very easily be over $4 a gallon.

I was watching headline news and someone wrote a letter about him wanting to be able to buy a car from overseas that got 50 mpg. If gas mileage went up that much on all the vehicles, oil companies would go up on price even more. They would have to make the same amount of money selling less gas, more profit per gallon.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Yea me too..

But gas isn't so bad here.. It's about 1.80 for 87,1.90 for 89 and 2.00 or so bucks for 93.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Boycotting one station will do nothing. And chosing one day means larger lines the day after. They are going to get their money no matter what. Gas is not their cash cow. Think outside the box.

Does a boxer keep punching somebody on the top of the head when they know it does no damage. No! They go for the jaw or where it is effective.

Gas stations make most of their money on you buying from their convenient store. So what you do is everytime you pay you tell the clerk you are boycotting the c-store until prices come down and shopping at 7-11 across the street. Then tell everyone filling up the same thing. Eventually a clerk will hear it 100x per day and pass it on to their boss who will confirm it with low sales levels. After several months of making absolutely nothing the owner will pass it on to the refineries. The refineries then get 100's of calls a day saying the local gas stations are going to go out of business if something isn't done.

Now put yourself in exxon/Mobiles position. You have a choice. Watch THE PEOPLE put the gas stations out of business thus lowering your distributors and profit or lower your price to get the people back on your side.

THIS WILL WORK IF ENOUGH VOICES SPEAK UP. STOP BITCHING AND TRY IT. PASS IT ON. E-MAIL EVERYONE YOU KNOW. AND DON'T GIVE IN AND BUY ANYTHING FROM THEIR STORE. PERIOD.

Actually, I believe this b/c fact is, the movie theaters, as much as they make on tickets when they screw you there, REALLY make their money on the snack counter

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
Not buying gas for one day will do absolutey nothing to the gas companies. Nada zip zilch zero nothing. All the big companies will not follow it. I really dont see the point.

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Modern vehicles almost completely require the dealership for diagnostic work and electronics repair. The mom and pop service station is going the way of the dodo. The only way most gas stations stay afloat is from putting in snack shops and mabye oil change stations. Why would you want to hurt local businesses, they dont gouge oil and gas prices:shrug:

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
all these wierd-ass ideas should be ignored... it's been calculated? how? where? please people... don't be nuts. leave the economic "calculations" up to people who know what the hell they're talking about.

The definition of a weird ass idea is yours listed above. Lets just walk straight ahead like lemmings and do nothing about it. It will eventually come down. <----stated in my retarded voice

NOT!

Now I agree with your "its calculated" and believe that this idea of 1 day will do nothing.

But I don't think the idea of hitting them where it hurts is all that bad. Supply and demand. I 100% guarentee you if enough people went in to the gas station to pay and mentioned they are boycotting the stuff the c-store sells it would eventually get back to the refineries. Similar to how events that happen at the lowest levels of business somehow make their way up to the ceo's.

Before you discredit an idea, contribute as to why it WON"T work instead. Prices change because millions and millions of people are involved. 1 person never has an effect on the outcome. The only way to get the prices down is to do it TOGETHER.

Remember: if you don't pass my idea on to at least 10 people you will have 7 years of bad luck. Is that what you want?

SVTHorsnake

Banned
The definition of a weird ass idea is yours listed above. Lets just walk straight ahead like lemmings and do nothing about it. It will eventually come down. <----stated in my retarded voice

NOT!

Now I agree with your "its calculated" and believe that this idea of 1 day will do nothing.

But I don't think the idea of hitting them where it hurts is all that bad. Supply and demand. I 100% guarentee you if enough people went in to the gas station to pay and mentioned they are boycotting the stuff the c-store sells it would eventually get back to the refineries. Similar to how events that happen at the lowest levels of business somehow make their way up to the ceo's.

Before you discredit an idea, contribute as to why it WON"T work instead. Prices change because millions and millions of people are involved. 1 person never has an effect on the outcome. The only way to get the prices down is to do it TOGETHER.

Remember: if you don't pass my idea on to at least 10 people you will have 7 years of bad luck. Is that what you want?

I never said that we should do nothing about it now did I? SVTP members are so damned quick to assume, I said that particular scheme wouldn't do jackshit. as far as saying why it won't work... where should I start? It's like saying don't buy from walmart for a day... ok, well, what the hell does that have to do with anything? take intro to econ, or if you already did, remember it. And explain how not having a better idea makes it so that this one is valid?

EDIT: People, understand what supply and demand is, there's more to it, don't just say random words you hear around thinking it raises your credability... it's not supply and demand... it's elasticity of demand that allows prices to be so high, once you've figured out what that means, then come back and we'll talk, until then, people that try to sound smart by using terms they heard walking throught the halls of business school continue to discredit themselves.

Last edited:

Power_Godz

Established Member
Hello...this is a chain letter

o.k. fellas here is the deal...

You know how everone hates spam. Well spammers cannot just send out mass mailings with made up email addys. All they would get is mass mailer deamons (system undeliverables). So some how they need to get a bunch of "good" email addys to send the spam to. Hummmm how could we do that? People don't just give out there addy. I got an idea, I can start a chain letter, and in the email I will put a "mail to" for me. So that every time it is sent it sends a copy back to me and I will get all the email addresses. I better make it a HOT topic so that I get plenty of people sending it to each other...Ah gas prices...thats a good one. I can also sell this list of addresses to other spammers for some cash.

So.
Email addresses = Money...Period..

Please do not send me this crap .....Enjoy your spam...

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTHorsnake
I never said that we should do nothing about it now did I?

EDIT: People, understand what supply and demand is, there's more to it, don't just say random words you hear around thinking it raises your credability... it's not supply and demand... it's elasticity of demand that allows prices to be so high, once you've figured out what that means, then come back and we'll talk, until then, people that try to sound smart by using terms they heard walking throught the halls of business school continue to discredit themselves.

I can see by most of your posts that you are the type of person who quickly discredits an idea that could benefit you. And rather than contribute in a positive manner you call them weird ass ideas.

We are in total agreement as for why the origional idea wouldn't work. I think that is pretty obvious. The same exact e-mail has gone through this site 15 times.

As for my supply and demand reference. You are taking it completely out of context. Supply and demand is ultimately controled by the people. If you take a look at what is written you will notice that my idea needs millions of people all acting together to make a change. I know that will never happen but what does it hurt throwing it out there. If I wanted to make a point on elasticity of demand I would have done just that. I understand the principles of Economics and don't need a lesson.

Who knows you might be able to come up with a reason as to why my idea won't work. Nobody seems to have a logical reason as for why it won't work.

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Got one of those, too. All bs.

Did anyone ever do a snopes on snopes? :lol1:
I mean, how do we know THEY'RE telling the truth? :dw:

:beer:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
I can see by most of your posts that you are the type of person who quickly discredits an idea that could benefit you. And rather than contribute in a positive manner you call them weird ass ideas.

We are in total agreement as for why the origional idea wouldn't work. I think that is pretty obvious. The same exact e-mail has gone through this site 15 times.

As for my supply and demand reference. You are taking it completely out of context. Supply and demand is ultimately controled by the people. If you take a look at what is written you will notice that my idea needs millions of people all acting together to make a change. I know that will never happen but what does it hurt throwing it out there. If I wanted to make a point on elasticity of demand I would have done just that. I understand the principles of Economics and don't need a lesson.

Who knows you might be able to come up with a reason as to why my idea won't work. Nobody seems to have a logical reason as for why it won't work.

what the hell? first off, how do I benefit from discrediting this?:??: :dw: secondly, supply and demand HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT... if you're talking about high prices, it's ELASTICITY. I don't know who taught you this stuff but it's wrong, there's no two ways about it, it's just wrong. just because you stop buying for a day, the demand doesn't change. they (oil companies) realize the price of gas in this country is INELASTIC... let me say that again...

THE PRICE OF GAS IN THIS COUNTRY IS INELASTIC

... and as a business, they're taking advantage of that... will some econ buffs jump in and explain this to him? "Price Elasticity" is a measurement of the effect, or lack there of, on demand when there is a price change. that means that if the price of a commodity you don't care about/has many substitutes goes up, you probably won't buy it. If the price of something you do care about/has few/no substitutes goes up (say, GAS?) goes up, you'll still buy it. We've created a culture in this country to need gas, we can't do anything without it, we live too far from work, etc., etc.. If the price of Coffee mugs sky rockets, you probably won't buy one, if the price of gas goes up, you still need it, there are few/no substititutes for gas, whereas many for mugs, etc. - all coming back to the price of gas being inelastic and the price of mugs being elastic, which has nothing to do with what I do or don't benefit from, so please, stop talking out of your ass.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're making yourself look real... how do I say this... DUMB... I know what you're trying to say. But you're clearly displaying that you're thinking of the basic definition of the words, not the economic definitions.

:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread