Gas mileage...

Mattz

Established Member
Anyone else's car suck gas really bad? I know the car isn't a Honda Civic, but I've had two Mustang GT's before this and they weren't nearly as bad with the gas as this. I was just curious if it's because the engine is DOHC(if that even matters) or what. For example, yesterday I filled up almost the whole tank, it was sitting on full. I went and drove around for probably 2 or 3 hours, some normal, some getting on it hard, and now my car is close to half a tank.

Maybe I'm just blowing it up, but I was just curious.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I don't know about that situation. Are you doing all city, stoplight to stoplight type driving? I've owned 5 Mustangs and my 01 (100% stock) has the best gas mileage of all of them. With a mix of stop and go, interstate and regular highway driving I can drive about 60 miles on about a 1/8 tank of gas.
BTW, what an oddity. We both have the same number of posts in the same topic.

Last edited:

TnPaulMan

Banned
When I get on the car and do stop and go city driving I get 19-20 mpg. I just ran to Knoxville yesterday and back and made it on one tank. 355 miles. Turned out to be 23.53 mpg. And that was nailing it at 85-90 the whole way.

Paul

Mattz

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

Majority has been city, I sometimes hit the interstate but it's not for too long of a time, but it's been like that with my previous cars as well... I just can't remember them sucking this much gas. I could usually go to school and back as well as go out and cruise around some and make it a week, but not with this thing. Hopefully I'll be ordering a new intake soon, so that'll give me a new filter... maybe I should check my plugs and fuel filter as well.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Mixed driving, hard city, calm highway, I avg 24-25. Best I have ever done was 27, I don't know how, but it wasn't babying it that much. Absolute worst I have ever got, was 21, and the included two hole days 1/8 mile racing:shrug:

Kcobra99

Established Member
I average between 20-25mpg, it taks a bit of math when the odometer and the gas pumps are metric in Canada. :) I found that I get poor mileage when the engine runs below 2000rpm. I was on a road trip with a friend with a 67 charger who didn't want go over 60mph(no overdrive, 3.73 gears...I think) We filled up with gas at the same time at the halfway point, he was getting 18mpg and I was getting 17!!!! :( I was running in 5th at about 1700rpm so for the rest of the trip, I ran in 4th at about 2700rpm and got over 20mpg. I have stock gears in my car and that is going to change this spring because running the engine in lower rpms makes the mileage worse.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
I get around 16.5mpg right now with bbk cai and o/r h and no tune but my car run super rich and that's in town, i going to get a dyno tune real soon.
When i bought my cobra i drove it back 1400 miles home and it was stock and i ran 85-90 mph around 2400rpm or so and got 24 mpg.

kaos

Established Member
I get 13 on the streets so you should be happy. If I include 10% highway I might hit 15 mpg. Strictly highway is about 21 or 22.

Users who are viewing this thread