Gas mileage vs Power (tubro-suppercharger)

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Both units increase HP that is a given. What HP gain for each have you seen from N/A engine and at what cost to gas mileage. Dont forget the amount of bost you are running. A friend and I have an Idea to increase both so I was hoping for info on how much mileage you lose with the boost upgrade.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Well if I am right in theory it can be done....just not sure if the engine will hold up to it. Have a test engine and a Idea.....just wont mileage lose data.

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
Yes your correct....but if you take away engine load at the same time can you produce the same HP at the same amount of fuel?
I think you can and If we are right I can get even more HP with the same amount of fuel and boost. That is what we plan to work on and that is why I was wanting to know how much mileage is lost with the normal needs to increase fuel when adding boost.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
so how are you planning on reducing the load on the engine? decreae the weight of the car? aluminum flywwheel?

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
If you have a car with a supercharger or turbo, good luck staying out of boost... either way if you stay out of boost and you should help the MPG.

How are you going to take engine load away? You make it sound like an on and off switch...

I dont see how its possible to get better MPG and getting more power.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Generally speaking, turbo cars will actually pick up mpg if the owner is not an asshole. Especially on a V8 like this, the minimum people are usually running is twin 57's, and even those take a good bit of leadfoot in a low gear to get them spooling.

So combine a good tune with out of boost unless your foot is to the floor and you have some decent mpg. You also don't need the radical compression, ported heads, or retarted cams to make power like a N/A car does.

Helomech74

Established Member
I still get over 25mpg on the interstate with mine and I am pushing 500rwhp. I average about 19mpg with city and highway driving. I don't have a lead foot, but I do get into it often.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
It has always seemed logical to me that you would get BETTER gas mileage out of a car with a turbo or blower, while you stayed out of boost. It seems to me that you could have a condition where you are getting additional airflow at lower rpms, however minimal, and you should n't have to go balls rich with the A/F, so you should be able to get better mileage. Actualy, not that I think about it, I have seen Vortech advertise that fact. I would tend to think the only thing being counter productive to that idea on a blower would be the fact that the engine has to run the blower too, so I don't know the net 5 that could be gained. Of course all of this is mute anyway because no one that goes through all the effort to do one of these power adders has a very light right foot.

I will let you know what I get when I finish mine.

01Lowboy

SPTZCLNT
Established Member
Generally speaking, turbo cars will actually pick up mpg if the owner is not an asshole. Especially on a V8 like this, the minimum people are usually running is twin 57's, and even those take a good bit of leadfoot in a low gear to get them spooling.

So combine a good tune with out of boost unless your foot is to the floor and you have some decent mpg. You also don't need the radical compression, ported heads, or retarted cams to make power like a N/A car does.

+1 Talk to TRBOVNM when he turboed his first Comp-O cobra he def picked up a couple MPG

Users who are viewing this thread