Gas mileage after a Pulley / Tune

Fleck 5

Established Member
From what I have read, these cars run real rich. Does doing a pulley / tune combo have a positive effect on gas mileage (assuming you are driving the same way)? I am considering the pulley / tune for several reasons besides the obvious HP gain. What effect will it have on gas mileage? What effect will it have on how well the car runs?

tv's 03

Established Member
Very little on cruzing, the computer will continue to keep a/f around 14.7:1 regradless of the WOT a/f

A smaller pulley on the snount might hurt milage a bit do to greater parasitic loss, but the bypass valve should also lessen that effect, so I would say during cruzing with a pulley and tune you will see very little effect on gas milage

Mine was fine until I went with 60lb injectors and a bap / 19lbs....I see 120 a tankfull...Witch is more than enough for a sat. Night cruz!

mustang196718

Snake#796,The Rice Killer
Established Member
I usually see 13mpg in the city at the very most, but that's with all my mods. That's babying it to death even. I don't even remember what I got back when I only had a pulley and tune.

Anyways, I'm sure you're not gonna want to baby the car after you start modding it anyways, so if you plan on getting more power out of it, be prepared to pay for it, especially with gas prices being how they are now. :fm:

knowfreed0m

Blown Is Better
Established Member
My city mileage is shit, but thats probably because of the way I drive :burnout:

On the highway I manage to get roughly 19-20 mpg when cruising in 6th @ 2,000 RPM.
Like others said if you're gonna mod, don't even bother to worry about gas mileage.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Devo27KR

Established Member
I get about 23-24 on the highway and around 13-15mpg in the city w/o a pulley. I'm getting a pulley/tune in Nov. no matter how much gas costs! The power is worth it!

NotoriousGT350

Lubbock Terminator
Established Member
Good question b/c I'm flying Sat. to pick up my cobra in Ohio that has a 2.8 pulley with the pulley/tune on the Predator. Driving 1200 miles is going to be interesting over 2 days(visiting some family along the way).

I'll keep an eye along the way on gas mileage and hopefully be back Monday night with some results.

J.R.

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
I was under the impression that when the boost bypass is changed (via tune) it contributes to small decrease in mpg.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Doing a pulley/tune will have very bad effects on your gas mileage because you will go WOT much more often. It has nothing to do with the tune. Pulley or no pulley you will burn the same gas under regular driving conditions (non boost). I personally don't care about gas mileage as long as I get at least 12-14 MPG. The car is just too much fun to drive.......

JSHTROD

Established Member
Chonger said:
Doing a pulley/tune will have very bad effects on your gas mileage because you will go WOT much more often. It has nothing to do with the tune. Pulley or no pulley you will burn the same gas under regular driving conditions (non boost). I personally don't care about gas mileage as long as I get at least 12-14 MPG. The car is just too much fun to drive.......

Total BS.

:rollseyes

Same driving habits. Less gas mileage.

:dw:

Fleck 5

Established Member
Tide612 said:
if are modding a car dont worry about gas mileage

That all depends on what kind of driving you do. If my car was not a daily driver, I would not care about gas mileage. I drive it to work everyday and I have to drive to class once a week. My class is 25-35 miles each way depending on which location it is at. I also make a lot of trips to Home Depot and Lowe's as I am always working on the house.

With gas at $3.30 per gallon, I am sticking to gas friendly mods for now.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I'm doing alright I think.

I get about 15mpg around town and 25-27mpg on the highway cruisin about 75-80mph. Have documented the last 5 tank fills and same results each time.

mustang196718

Snake#796,The Rice Killer
Established Member
Fleck 5 said:
That all depends on what kind of driving you do. If my car was not a daily driver, I would not care about gas mileage. I drive it to work everyday and I have to drive to class once a week. My class is 25-35 miles each way depending on which location it is at. I also make a lot of trips to Home Depot and Lowe's as I am always working on the house.

With gas at $3.30 per gallon, I am sticking to gas friendly mods for now.
:( Well that's no fun. Mine's a daily driver too but I just stick it out and pay for it. I'm just kidding, I know gas prices are a b****, especially if you plan on driving it daily.

Users who are viewing this thread