Gas Leak - Help!

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
I have a good size gas leak where the filler pipe inserts into the gas tank. It looks like there is a rubber grommet thing that the pipe goes through to get into the tank but it is pretty torn up. I checked the parts list online and i don't see anything I could get to replace it. Any ideas?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It's exactly what you think it is. The Ford dealer sells them, but not sure what it's part # is.

crazycarlo

Established Member
just go to your local ford dealer and tell them you need a filler neck gromet. Cost me like $13 when i got mine. There is a place online that sells them but they were more expensive and with shipping it would have taken longer then to order it.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Mine was $25 bucks at a dealer. I changed it in 1hr by myself with just a floor jack.

jzepp

Established Member
Mine was $25 bucks at a dealer. I changed it in 1hr by myself with just a floor jack.

How did you change it yourself? I had mine done at an auto shop and they said the gas tank needed to be dropped. $300 and 6 hours later and i had a new filler neck grommet put in.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
How did you change it yourself? I had mine done at an auto shop and they said the gas tank needed to be dropped. $300 and 6 hours later and i had a new filler neck grommet put in.

Holy shit! it would have been easier for me if I had jack stands... but it can be done without. Undue the 3 bolts from the filler neck...3 bolts inder the car that connect the filler neck to the inside rear fender...one bolt that holds the filler in the tank. Two bolts on the tank straps while the jack is under the tank...slowly drop tank while working the filler neck out. Take out neck...remove the gasket. Take new gasket and spray with wd-40, carefully put it in the opening. As you raise the tank with the jack insert the filler neck....then just reverse all steps. If you hit every hangup in the book and used no jack stands, and did it all by yourself it should still take you less than 2 hours.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
If you can believe the service manual the filler neck can be removed without dropping the tank.

Do all of the prerequisite unbolting. When loose, PUSH the filler tube into the tank and ROTATE IT DOWNWARD to clear the fender. Then pull it out.

Lubricate the lower section of the tube (clean engine oil is mentioned in the service manual) as mentioned by '97WHITEVENOM' before inserting it through the newly installed gasket to prevent tearing it.

Users who are viewing this thread