Gas Guage?

RTM

Established Member
Hey guys,

I had a question. When I bought this car a few weeks ago, I noticed during the test drive that the gas guage did not work. I thought it was empty, but when we stopped to put gas in it was full.

They assured me it would be fixed. They had the car for 4 days. The salesman said that they dropped the tank, but ended up having to replace part of the guage cluster.

Since having it back, I have noticed that the guage works from 3/4 tank to full, but won't go below that. And after reading some of the posts about the service dept. abusing the cars, I am scared to take it in.

Sorry so long, but does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Todd

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
The gas gauge should be the same as on any Mustang, there's nothing special about it. Mine has worked like a champ since day one... I would suggest bringing your Cobra into a different shop if you have second guesses about the one you went to. For something not drive-train or suspension related, any ford dealer is fine (I've actually found that I get better service at some of the smaller, non-SVT dealers)

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
I know that on mine if I drive on the highway, I can go about 120 miles before if moves from the F position, then another hundred on the rest of the tank...I dont get it either, is that what you are talking about or not working at all??? Just write down your miles when you take it to the dealer

Rick

RTM

Established Member
I can fill it up, and it will work until slightly below the 3/4 mark. Since my last fill-up, I have gone about 210 miles with the needle still showing around 3/4 of a tank of gas.

Todd

SlowSVT

Established Member
More detroit ingenunity here.

My needle stays pegged for the first 50-60 miles then it slowly builds speed and drops like a rock after a 1/2 way mark. From there I can only get 50 miles. Its not linear.

Todd that's sucks when you have to take a brand new car back to the dealer and they have to start ripping it apart. Hell they just put it together. I wounder if they can re-calibrate the gauge or sender unit while it's still in the car. Kinda takes the enthusiasm out of getting a new car. Especially when the dealer can't even fix it right.....duh

RTM

Established Member
It may be wishful thinking, but I hope that it starts to drop like a rock within the next day.

I have been driving fairly easy trying to see what happens on a full tank of gas. But I am ~210 miles and still showing slightly less than the 3/4 mark.

It does suck. :cuss:

If I have to take it in, I am going to get them to fix the steering creaking issue too. I just noticed it a couple of days ago. I can turn the wheel to the right a couple of inches and hear a slight creaking noise.

Thanks for the help.

Todd

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
The fuel gauge in these cars does stink. Not linear at all. But thats a problem with most Ford vehicles.

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
This is great! Im not crazy! I though I was seeing shit, my gauge would read full for 2 days then drop like a rock. Anyone else have their needle wiggle while driving?:shrug:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have noticed that my gas gauge seems to be tied to the boost gauge. When the boost needle goes to the right, the gas needle seems to go to the left. I don't know, maybe it's me.

Seriously, this can be a major problem. One of the worst things you can do to an electric fuel pump is to run it dry. Do it 2 or 3 times and you'll have to replace it. So keep an eye on it, even if you have to use your odometer. My suggestion is to fill it up at the 200 mile mark, just to be safe. On my car, that is very nearly a full tank anyway. I just don't know how some of you guys get so many miles out of a tank. My car must be pig rich. I got to get the wideband hooked up.

ridethelighteni

foolish samurai warrior
Established Member
There was a thread like this before. I don't recall anyone having any major issues with the guage like the starter of the thread though. The general consensus was that the guage sucks, and the 3/4 mark is more like half a tank, half is quarter, etc. etc. etc. Just don't let it drop below half if you have a long way to go before hitting a gas station.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I wonder how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on? Maybe like 2 oz.:)

Mach1driver

Established Member
Both my '01 GT and my Mach 1 had the exact same problem with their gauge. Gauge was working normal, fill up, driving down the road a few minutes after fill up and its on E. No amount of driving re-starting the car, empty/refill the tank made the gauge work again. Both times the entire instrument cluster was replaced as the individual guages I was told are not serviceable.

On the bright side I got an extra spare key both times as the tech needs two keys to swap the cluster out. :D

Users who are viewing this thread