Gas Gauge on the R

Garlin

Established Member
Has anyone found a fix for the gas gauge on the 00R's? I have the same problem as some of you have. The gauge only goes to 3/4's and when it reads empty it only takes about 12 gallons. The cell is suppose to hold 20. Anyone know if there is an adjustment or replacement?

Thanks again......

:)

Andy M

Established Member
No known fix for this problem?? I have talked to both SVT and Fuelsafe about this with no relief from either one. Fuelsafe contends that the pickup for the gauge is a Ford part and I should therefore talk to SVT about it... and SVT has no fix for the problem either.

What I do is just fill up when my gauge gets to 1/4... so I don't run the risk of running out of motion lotion?!! :( :eek:

Garlin

Established Member
Thanks Andy,
I do just about that right now. I wait till it's on E and then fill up. I know from the few times I've filled it up and it only takes 12 gallons that i still have plenty in the cell. It just would be nice if it work the way it is supposed to. You would think Fuelsafe would supply their own sending unit with the cell instead of having Ford use their own. I wonder if Fuelsafe has a sending unit that would replace the Ford unit? I'm going to look into this some more and see what I can find. If I come up with anything I'll send you the info. Thanks again Andy.

Matt Jones

Established Member
Fuel Safe claims it will only hold 18 gallons due to Fords design. They told me to send it to them and they would inspect fill it to measure capacity and look at the sender.

I have run the car out of gas twice. Once, it took 15 gallons to fill it up and the second time 14 gallons. It is a joke!!!!!!!!!

I would rather have a stock 15G tank that read correctly at the gauge.

1Fast R

Bill talked to Jayson Demchuck from SVT about the gas gauge problem. We met Jayson at a Mustang Show here in the Northwest this weekend. He said that he knows that there is a problem and that he is going to talk to Fuel Safe and get back to Bill about the problem. Bill also talked to him about the clunking at the rear end and that Bill thought that is was a little loud, and Jayson assured him that because of the lack of soundproofing and insulation, carpet, etc, that when you have that many Ujoints all in action there will be some noise.

Bill also thought that his motor made more noise, like clattering, than should be. But he listened to it and assured him that this was also normal.

Vicki

Garlin

Established Member
This week I talked to an engineer with SVT and he explained that the glue holding the rubber bladder to the inside of the tank may have come unglued and caused the top of the bladder to drop down a little. When I get some time I'm going to drop the tank and see what I can find. Hopefully it will be something as simple as regluing the top of the bladder. Maybe someone at Fuelsafe can verify if this could be the problem.

:shrug:

1Fast R

Bill filled up with gas today and for some reason he filled a little slower than usual. And guess what! The fuel gage reads almost to the FULL mark and not just past the 3/4 mark like it usually does when he fills up. He is going to try filling slower next time and see if it is just a coincidence or a fix! FYI
Vicki

AV8R

RiceCooker
Established Member
Last week I actually had the "low fuel" light illuminate on me. I got really nervous and drove like a grandma to the nearest gas station. Luckily, I had Nina behind me in he Lightning to come to the rescue if the unthinkable happened.

Anyway, does anyone know how much gas is supposed to be left in the fuell cell after the light comes on? Does this actually mean that you are eating into the reserve fuel and can you even trust that light for anything? Commom sense says no because if the actual gauge reads wrong, wouldn't the light be inacurate as well?

Jason

UKCobra

Established Member
I ran out of Gas in the 95R on Saturday, there was no low fuel light to come on.

Also, the guage is pretty much innaccurate. For the first 150 miles mine never moves.

I knew I was low, and was looking for a gas station.

Note, 1 Gallon was not enough to fire the car up, it needed more.
We called AAA and got a further 2 gallons and it fired up no problem.

I suspect the fuel float is the regular 15 Gal Mustang one and we could do with a properly calibrated one for our tanks.

Mark

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Took the R (and the Girlfriend) to the beach last night to eat, and after as I was getting home, the gas gauge was on "E " and the low fuel light came on. This morning went to fill it up, and it took 15.2 gallons. I've never let the car get this low before, and now I know how much it will hold. Sure is a far cry from the advertised 21 gallons the fuel cell is supposed to hold, yet seems to be in the range of everyone else's cars from what I've read here.

UKCobra

Established Member
On the trip home from Chicago, we did get over 400 miles out of a tank, and filled up with just over 19 gallons, so I would say the 95R I have does appear to hold 20 gallons.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread