Garmin GPS Recall Fail

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Garmin 755t GPS unit worldwide malfunction. purchased from amazon a few months ago.
-Received e-mail from amazon saying that your basically screwed if you own a 700 or 800 series garmins GPS and don't take it out of car and upload an update from your computer in a certain amount of time. by the time i get this email (via amazon.com) my unit is dead, wont recharge, wont turn on, wont connect, nothing.
-went to garmin site after seeing email and establishing my unit is dead. they say they will send me a UPS label. In confirmation message, also states that it takes them like a month to repair it and send it back AFTER they receive it via the UPS ground label they give you. 24hr +++ later. no label yet. Looked up Garmin's support number. NOBODY is on staff on the weekend. NO customer service at ALL.
-today I call Amazon. Amazon sent me a shipping label instantly. This things on its way back to amazon.
-I'm traveling next weekend, if i don't have a GPS by then i'll at least have the money from it's refund for my travel.
-A MONTH to repair something that they admit is their fault. UNACCEPTABLE. They left me dead in the water during the worst most traveled time of year. useless.

After buying a $350+++ GPS here I am back using map quest printouts once again for a long trip. yay.
If I wanted product problems or absent customer service like this I would've just bought some generic radio shack GPS.

Satan's Snake

Established Member
I got mine from circuit city right before they closed its not a 700 or 800 series but I like it a lot more than tom tom. stick with it and if you absolutely have to have one get one with less options from a local store

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
oh no you mean you have to use a map,what are you going to do

I think he's just upset because he doesn't have any female contact anymore now that his GPS doesn't work. Personally I wouldn't mind giving up that annoying chick saying, "stop, wrong direction, recalculating" every 5 seconds.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
oh no you mean you have to use a map,what are you going to do

yeah after spending over $300 on a GPS it sure does suck going back to a map. its nice, now without a GPS i get to waste more gas money to get to the same place. no traffic avoidance. no toll avoidance. just overall inconvenience.
vendor standing by product, manufacturer not. also not providing any customer service AT ALL. a month is unacceptable for what i paid for it. an exchange would be acceptable. without that being an option, i'll just take the money back and get something else.
amazon was great to deal with, garmin not so much.
imagine someone saying, "the thing we sold you is broke by the way. we broke it. don't ask us for anything because we have NO customer support. we'll get it back to you in a month. thanks for the $350."

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I think he's just upset because he doesn't have any female contact anymore now that his GPS doesn't work. Personally I wouldn't mind giving up that annoying chick saying, "stop, wrong direction, recalculating" every 5 seconds.
you would think it gets annoying but once you use it for so long you learn to really appreciate it.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I like how they charge $110 for updated maps........

that sucks. i've had some very good experiences with this one so far. i havent had to buy the new maps since this unit was pretty new anyways. i had the traffic cameras programmed into it and everything.

its necessary in this city. with all of the construction/traffic. it's the kind of thing that makes a 1.5 hr commute a 45min one. i have saved SO much gas with this thing. it even has the eco route thing that makes the gas friendly routes not to mention the quick routes that still avoid the insane tolls. back to mapquest for me :(
maybe i should just be thankful i got that much out of it. lol

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Garmin 755t GPS unit worldwide malfunction. purchased from amazon a few months ago.
-Received e-mail from amazon saying that your basically screwed if you own a 700 or 800 series garmins GPS and don't take it out of car and upload an update from your computer in a certain amount of time. by the time i get this email (via amazon.com) my unit is dead, wont recharge, wont turn on, wont connect, nothing.
-went to garmin site after seeing email and establishing my unit is dead. they say they will send me a UPS label. In confirmation message, also states that it takes them like a month to repair it and send it back AFTER they receive it via the UPS ground label they give you. 24hr +++ later. no label yet. Looked up Garmin's support number. NOBODY is on staff on the weekend. NO customer service at ALL.
-today I call Amazon. Amazon sent me a shipping label instantly. This things on its way back to amazon.
-I'm traveling next weekend, if i don't have a GPS by then i'll at least have the money from it's refund for my travel.
-A MONTH to repair something that they admit is their fault. UNACCEPTABLE. They left me dead in the water during the worst most traveled time of year. useless.

After buying a $350+++ GPS here I am back using map quest printouts once again for a long trip. yay.
If I wanted product problems or absent customer service like this I would've just bought some generic radio shack GPS.

i dont know anything about this update.. my 760 works fine though

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
i use a regular map more often anyways. i dont need my hand held every step of the way.

mine normally hides in my arm rest until i need to bust it out for a longer distance trip (like the one i'm doing next week) or when i know i'm going somewhere with traffic to avoid. about once a week it saves me time and money.
every time i think i know the quickest way and i reference it with the GPS, the GPS almost always teaches me a way thats actually faster. sometimes routes that i would never suspect actually be faster, are.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
i dont know anything about this update.. my 760 works fine though

your model may not be affected but if you notice it stops getting signal and comes up with an error window. take it out asap and plug it into the garmin updater thing on the computer for the fix. otherwise, it will be dead forever like mine. its not just a regular glitch.

jip

Established Member
yeah after spending over $300 on a GPS it sure does suck going back to a map. its nice, now without a GPS i get to waste more gas money to get to the same place. no traffic avoidance. no toll avoidance. just overall inconvenience.
vendor standing by product, manufacturer not. also not providing any customer service AT ALL. a month is unacceptable for what i paid for it. an exchange would be acceptable. without that being an option, i'll just take the money back and get something else.
amazon was great to deal with, garmin not so much.
imagine someone saying, "the thing we sold you is broke by the way. we broke it. don't ask us for anything because we have NO customer support. we'll get it back to you in a month. thanks for the $350."

im just busting your chops.....I understand,sucks when you buy something and it doesnt work

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
LMAO

if it makes you feel better my buddy's $1200 nav deck in his car acted up and pioneer took 7 weeks to repair it and send it back.

that sucks even more
according to my email with the UPS shipping label. amazon should contact me when they receive my gps. if i'm very lucky they will sent me another one in exchange. if not i will get the money back.
either way, going through amazon I will either get the refund money or even possibly a GPS quicker than what it would take Garmin to fix my old one.
i have a feeling that with all the units that failed, that a month have even been an understatement for the repair time. that would be my luck anyways.
no this route will at least get me something in the time i need it, before my trip.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
im just busting your chops.....I understand,sucks when you buy something and it doesnt work

oh yeah. heres my delayed LOL. you werent the first person to tell me that. the wife said the same thing to me. :nonono:
-"oh no. how will you survive the trip without the GPS? You'll have to use mapquest like the rest of us."

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
This happened to a co-worker of mine. He sent his in last week and when I asked him what kind of time line they gave him for when he's supposed to have it back he said they wouldn't give him a ballpark of anything more accurate than "a few weeks." Pretty amazing...

Users who are viewing this thread