Gap for TR7IX's at 17psi

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
Like the title says I would just like to know what gap all of you guys have found best that works with tr7ix plugs and 17psi of boost. With the new 63# injectors (39s are giving out--leaning out past 5krpm with constant fuel pressure)my tuner thinks I should see 520 easy with my setup. I am running a ported eaton and lately getting some idle hiccups, burps, and occasional midrange bumps with the tr6 coppers gapped at 32.

I have read through a lot of different threads and seen a few different opinions. My main question is...should I be running a smaller gap than 32?

Also I've seen a picture of a special gap tool for iridium plugs. I planned on picking up some feeler gauges, but is this gap tool better for the tr7s? If so, where can you pick one of those things up? (Advance,Autozone,Napa?)

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
i think if you use a feeler gauge you will mess the tips up.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I run w 12# boost and lets say a 100 shot of n2o w the tr7ix's a gap of .028 w no misfire issues. 2 yrs old also.

Adj. gap... key point is bending outer electrode w/o touching inner while adj. it. I use a old points/plug gap adj. feeler gauge tool. It does not touch the inner while I bend outer. Or you will break inner. I don't care what plug u are using, the inner should not be pried on. Only gap checked w a feeler gauge.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
Like the title says I would just like to know what gap all of you guys have found best that works with tr7ix plugs and 17psi of boost. With the new 63# injectors (39s are giving out--leaning out past 5krpm with constant fuel pressure)my tuner thinks I should see 520 easy with my setup. I am running a ported eaton and lately getting some idle hiccups, burps, and occasional midrange bumps with the tr6 coppers gapped at 32.

I have read through a lot of different threads and seen a few different opinions. My main question is...should I be running a smaller gap than 32?

Also I've seen a picture of a special gap tool for iridium plugs. I planned on picking up some feeler gauges, but is this gap tool better for the tr7s? If so, where can you pick one of those things up? (Advance,Autozone,Napa?)

I read somewhere not to change the gap setting on Iridium plugs so I left mine at the factory gap setting. I hope to have my Whipple / fuel mods installation complete this weekend and then I will get it tuned. I'm sure I'll find out then if this is going to be a problem... :shrug:

BTW - I'll also be running around 17 - 17.5 pounds of boost with a 2.9" pulley.

Last edited:

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
I read somewhere not to change the gap setting on Iridium plugs so I left mine at the factory gap setting. I hope to have my Whipple / fuel mods installation complete this weekend and then I will get it tuned. I'm sure I'll find out then if this is going to be a problem... :shrug:

BTW - I'll also be running around 17 - 17.5 pounds of boost with a 2.9" pulley.

I thought the TR7IX's came gapped at like .040. I would think that would be way too much for 17#'s. :shrug:

I've seen some Whipple guys posting on this site before that they were running 17psi with the out of the box gap that the TR7ixs come with. I've always measured the gap on these plugs and for me they range from .035 - .038 out of the box.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I also run tr6's at .032 and it has the same random idle and mid throttle blurps, hiccups.

does anyone have these issues with the tr7ix?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I've seen some Whipple guys posting on this site before that they were running 17psi with the out of the box gap that the TR7ixs come with. I've always measured the gap on these plugs and for me they range from .035 - .038 out of the box.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I think the iridiums can fire through a bit more gap than the coppers.

I would probably try .032-.033 to be safe and don't use a metal feeler, the metal on the electrode is very brittle and easy to damage.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Mine are gapped at .030
This is with at 2.95/4lb Steg 3 and a 100 dry shot.
Car idles smooth and has no spark blow out.

-

Screamin_Heaton

At war with STALL issue
Established Member
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I think the iridiums can fire through a bit more gap than the coppers.

I would probably try .032-.033 to be safe and don't use a metal feeler, the metal on the electrode is very brittle and easy to damage.

What would you suggest to check the gap?

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I'll say this at smaller jets .032 was ok. Upped the jet size and result was no good, had a backfire, so .028. All was good. I would think about same thing at 17 to 19#. Except backfire. Mine idles ok.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
If you want to make it easy, get the specialized gap tool. If you want to put something metal in there to just check the gap just be very, very gentle with it.

+1, i regapped all my IT24 (or 22's, they came with the car!) with a standard set of the feeler gauges (not the coin tool they sell at the counter), just be careful, if it doenst fit, dont force it and go thinner till you find a thickness of feelers that fit well with minimal effort. I have this other tool that you use to open/close the prong part by prying at the bend.

for 17psi, id run .028, but the biggest gap you can get away with before getting blowout is the best gap you can run. With iridiums, you might be able to get .002-.004 more gap out of them as compared to standard plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread