Gaming PC guys, come in.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Sitting here at work starring at the clock because the UPS guy has dropped off all components of my PC build today. Its a pretty solid Intel i7 build:

-Corsair 350d case
-Intel i7-4770K
-Corsair H100i cooler
-ASUS Gene VI mobo (would have gone with the new VII but it dosen't include the mPCIe combo II card like the VI, which i'll need for wi-fi)
-Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracers (2x4GB) @ 1866
-Corsair AX860 psu
-5x Corsair SP120 fans
-Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
-Intel mPCIe wifi card 2.4/5ghz w/Bluetooth (tri-band diversity) w/ 3x SPS 8dpi antennas

I had not ordered a graphics card because i was hoping to hear news of the GTX 800 series around Q4 this year......however.....as i sat here at work, i went on newegg and impulse bought an EVGA superclocked GTX 780 ti.

14-487-001-Z08

What do you think? Should i have waited? Anyone else have this card or have had hands on with it?

I'm only using 1 ASUS 1080p 144hz (1ms) monitor, this card might be overkill for single screen 1080p gaming, but as long as there's no screen cap, i should be able to enjoy ridiculous frame rates.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
With this build, there's not a ton of games out there that you couldn't play on max settings on a single monitor. Getting in to multiple monitors above 1080 resolution and you'd probably want a beefier card.

With that being said, I'd have done a few things a bit differently. First, for a gaming PC, the i7 cpu's are a bit of a waste. The majority of games still don't take advantage of hyperthreading, so you could have saved a bit of money and gone with the same core i5 which will provide the same level of performance.

I would have then used that money to purchase more ram. Your ram is good and fast, but I think you're eventually going to want a bit more.

For what it's worth, my rig is still solid and I play everything on Max/Ultra

i5 3550K At 4.2 Ghz
Cooler Master EVO212 cooler
G-SKill 4x4gb ram @1600
Samsung EVO 250 primary with a Western Digital caviar black storage drive
EVGA GTX670FTW
Win7 SP2

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Get the 4790k if you can do so without having to spend more. Runs cooler and will overclock better if you do that.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP, every new generation of video cards is only 10% better in performance. I would have done the same thing, saved money and bought the 780. The good thing about going high end is the eye candy, you can run on ultra and not worry about shit!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with Torch on the more RAM, but otherwise not bad. Maybe spend some money on quality case fans and a controller.

*edit* whoops, missed your fans, my bad.

Last edited:

rancid

Established Member
780Ti is a great card. I have one and had a lesser build before I recently upgraded my proc to the latest intel and could play everything on max settings that I threw at it. Worst comes to worst, buy a self-contained watercooling kit and OC the crap out of it if you want more or sell it on ebay.

28nm GTX 880 is not planned until Oct at the earliest from what I just read today and the 20nm version cards coming out in 2015.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I still have an old 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
2x4GB @ 1866 of ram
and an old 470GTX OC

This old setup still plays a ton of new games in 1080P in almost everything max (BF3&4, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Arkham Origins, AC4, Titanfall, etc) including MSAA, etc getting a tad over 30 FPS avg (some more). Most games have yet to fully use all 4GB of ram even less 8GB, IMO it's useless getting more ram. Timing speeds matter more as well as the HDD.

I'll probably upgrade to an 800 series or a high 700 series next year. Witcher 3 will be the reason for the change but in the meantime its good. The rest of my PC should handle it perfectly fine.

Im not a hardcore PC gamer that needs to have bragging rights or 4k resolutions. I rather game in my couch using my VT60 than a monitor. Only time I rather game on a monitor is on FPS using keyboard + mouse, RTS, and/or MMORPG

Last edited:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
With this build, there's not a ton of games out there that you couldn't play on max settings on a single monitor. Getting in to multiple monitors above 1080 resolution and you'd probably want a beefier card.

With that being said, I'd have done a few things a bit differently. First, for a gaming PC, the i7 cpu's are a bit of a waste. The majority of games still don't take advantage of hyperthreading, so you could have saved a bit of money and gone with the same core i5 which will provide the same level of performance.

I would have then used that money to purchase more ram. Your ram is good and fast, but I think you're eventually going to want a bit more.

For what it's worth, my rig is still solid and I play everything on Max/Ultra

i5 3550K At 4.2 Ghz
Cooler Master EVO212 cooler
G-SKill 4x4gb ram @1600
Samsung EVO 250 primary with a Western Digital caviar black storage drive
EVGA GTX670FTW
Win7 SP2
I did realize the 4770 was overkill for gaming. Didnt really want to limit the pc to gaming as the wife may do other things on it.

I originally was just going to settle on sli gtx 760's, but that would limit myself to sli driver compatability and other factors. Plus now, in the future I could sli in another 780ti which would be ludicrous.

As for the memory, I have never heard of any game pulling over 8gb of total system memory. I had planned though on popping in 2 more 4gb DIMMs in the near future for no other reasons but to add more led's from the ballistix tactical tracers. I did settle on a set of corsair memory with a cas latency of 7 @ 1600 but decided on the tactical tracers JUST BECAUSE of the led's haha. Still noy bad though, cas 9 @1866

SHLBYLVR

Established Member
What's nice about EVGA is you can upgrade your card within 90 days of purchase. I went from the GTX 570 to GTX 580. So register your card and see what comes up in 90 days.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I had made the build list a couple months ago and saved it to a wish list on newegg. When I bought everything I just moved the wishlist to the shopping cart. Should have checked out everything first because.... RIGHT AFTER I checked out I saw the 4790k was only $10 more and uses the same socket. Oh well. I dont even plan on OCing anytime soon, and even when I do, not much. Maybe up to 4.2ghz.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I did realize the 4770 was overkill for gaming. Didnt really want to limit the pc to gaming as the wife may do other things on it.

I originally was just going to settle on sli gtx 760's, but that would limit myself to sli driver compatability and other factors. Plus now, in the future I could sli in another 780ti which would be ludicrous.

As for the memory, I have never heard of any game pulling over 8gb of total system memory. I had planned though on popping in 2 more 4gb DIMMs in the near future for no other reasons but to add more led's from the ballistix tactical tracers. I did settle on a set of corsair memory with a cas latency of 7 @ 1600 but decided on the tactical tracers JUST BECAUSE of the led's haha. Still noy bad though, cas 9 @1866

That makes sense. On my system while playing bf4 I'm usually eating up about 4-5 gigs of ram because of all the other stuff you run. Web browser/launcher, teams peak or equivalent, plus you have your operating reserves etc.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
What's nice about EVGA is you can upgrade your card within 90 days of purchase. I went from the GTX 570 to GTX 580. So register your card and see what comes up in 90 days.
Sweet, will do!

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Got home this morning at midnight and spent about 2 hours building it and then another hour playing around in bios. Here's some aweful cellphone pics:

20140731_000601_zpsk2xv9shw.jpg

20140731_033903_zpstq1kkwyr.jpg

20140731_034002_zps7gncmiq7.jpg

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
fricken awesome!!

You are motivating me to build a new rig. But I will patiently wait for the next gen stuff to come down in price. (DDR4, sub 400 6-core intel, 1tb SSD) :D

What games do you plan to play?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
fricken awesome!!

You are motivating me to build a new rig. But I will patiently wait for the next gen stuff to come down in price. (DDR4, sub 400 6-core intel, 1tb SSD) :D

What games do you plan to play?
Not sure. My gaming habits are broad. Still have to put windows 8 on it (for the latest directX) and get all drivers up to date. Then do open heart surgey next week to get the wifi running when that stuff comes in.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Man I HATE Windows 8, pissed me off that new Direct X drivers will not support Win 7. Here's hoping Windows 9 fixes all that crap and comes out soon.
Beautiful Build OP!! I felt like a kid when I made my built almost 2 years ago.
To put it to the test, pre-order Witcher 3, you will not be dissapointed.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Man I HATE Windows 8, pissed me off that new Direct X drivers will not support Win 7. Here's hoping Windows 9 fixes all that crap and comes out soon.
Beautiful Build OP!! I felt like a kid when I made my built almost 2 years ago.
To put it to the test, pre-order Witcher 3, you will not be dissapointed.

Same here. 8.1 isnt so bad as there is a metro desktop "app" that allows you to view windows in a vista/7 way. I'll probably have a learning curve to get around since ive really every only messed with 8 on display units in stores. Windows 9 will be a warm welcome im sure.

Users who are viewing this thread