Gains from E85?

QuikHD

Established Member
I've got a 2.3 whipple with a 3" pulley and stock lower.

I'm upgrading the fuel system to a Lethal budget return system with dual division x 340lph pumps. Also adding a Killer Chiller.

If I switch over to E85 and a 2.75 pulley, what kind of gains can I expect? It's got a SCT MAF, single blade TB and 60lb injectors

I assume I would need new injectors??

The car currently makes 549hp 490tq on a 93 tune and the car was very hot on a 98* day.

Last edited:

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Just switching to E85 won't really gain you that much..it's the fact that you can run more boost/timing in a safe manner. I think alot of people see upwards of ~100rw but I'm sure that will vary depending on mods etc.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I see 154 more rwhp and 130 more rwtq between my 93 ad E85 tune. This is a 2.3 whipple with a 17psi 3" upper for 93 and a 22psi 2.6" upper for E85. Inj are ford Motorsport 80s. No killer chiller. Longblock factory original, manifolds factory, catted magn xpipe, borla cb. It makes 560/550 on gas and 714/680 on E85. The fuel system is still returnless. The midrange gains are even more eye popping driving around town than the 154 peak would indicate...it's really dramatic difference on ethanol. I have zero desire to go back to the 93 tune unless its an emergency situation.

Last edited:

QuikHD

Established Member
i would upgrade to the walbro 465's
you need to research what pumps like E85

I read the division x 340's are E85 compatible
"With flow rates of 340lph @40psi (13.5V) and the ability to be run in regular gasoline as well as with E85,"

Are they not big enough for the demand?

QuikHD

Established Member
I see 154 more rwhp and 130 more rwtq between my 93 ad E85 tune. This is a 2.3 whipple with a 17psi 3" upper for 93 and a 22psi 2.6" upper for E85. Inj are ford Motorsport 80s. No killer chiller. Longblock factory original, manifolds factory, catted magn xpipe, borla cb. It makes 560/550 on gas and 714/680 on E85. The fuel system is still returnless. The midrange gains are even more eye popping driving around town than the 154 peak would indicate...it's really dramatic difference on ethanol. I have zero desire to go back to the 93 tune unless its an emergency situation.

Sounds kinda like my car. Bassani x pipe with high flow cats, Borla quiet cat back.

Is 700+HP safe for the factory long block?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Sounds kinda like my car. Bassani x pipe with high flow cats, Borla quiet cat back.

Is 700+HP safe for the factory long block?

Well, anything can happen, but it keeps running butter smooth for 4 yrs now....this car has been on e85 and at 714 wheel since 2009. It was a well thought out setup by 04sleeper, I bought this car from him about 2.5 yrs ago. It still runs flawlessly, drivability is like stock. The tuning is by him as well, he's probably one of the most knowledgable ford modular tuners you will find, especially on E85. He's the moderator in the Distillery section btw :beer:

QuikHD

Established Member
Well, anything can happen, but it keeps running butter smooth for 4 yrs now....this car has been on e85 and at 714 wheel since 2009. It was a well thought out setup by 04sleeper, I bought this car from him about 2.5 yrs ago. It still runs flawlessly, drivability is like stock. The tuning is by him as well, he's probably one of the most knowledgable ford modular tuners you will find, especially on E85. He's the moderator in the Distillery section btw :beer:

I plan on doing a return system, the whole concept of the BAP is currently driving me nuts! It's like a band aid IMO. Too many variables that could fail. My car currently has 4,800 miles on it, so everything is still pretty tight. I don't want to trash a low mile car by being cheap and continuing to run the BAP.

If I'm going to the next level, I might as well do it right. Save a couple hundred now but trash a motor later? No thanks!!

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Like some othes have stated, bigger injectors and bigger fuel pumps, lines ect. Do the return setup right away! Spend the money on good fuel mods, no cheaping out in this area.

QuikHD

Established Member
My plan is to do a Lethal budget return system, but I want to double check on a few things.

Should I upgrade the supply line to a larger size? What about the return supplied in the kit (Its a -6) is that large enough? I read somewhere guys were using -10 supply and -8 return.

Is the factory supply fuel line large enough to support E85 at the 700hp level?

Last edited:

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member

Interested in knowing more about your returnless. From Black306? PM me if you want.

ScreamMachine03

Established Member
Why can't there be just a couple of pumps closer to me. Is it true that that you have to test the fuel every time? What happens if the fuel is less than 85?

Users who are viewing this thread