G-Tech Pro Competition Performance Meter...

BBriBro

Established Member
I have that same unit, you will find lots of conflicting reviews on it. Here is what I know, First of all, the MPH will always be high on the G-tech, It reads your actual speed at the end of the 1/4 mi, so at that exact point, 1320 feet after you took off. The track reports your average speed over the last 60 feet of track, while you are still accelerating, so that number will be lower.

The ET will also be off if you don't set the rollout. The G-tech begins timing as soon as it detects motion. At the track, the timing starts when you cross the beam after the stage beam. If you stage real shallow, your car will have to roll 9-12 inches before the clock starts counting. If you stage real deep, almost tripping the 3rd beam, then the clock will start as soon as you begin to move. You must set that distance in the G-tech to compensate for that variable.

The Horsepower will be off if the vehicle weight is not entered accurately, remember you have to add for the tank of fuel, and if you have a friend riding with you, you need to change the weight in the G-tech.

If all of these parameters are set correctly, it should be spot on, it's fun to mess with. The Tach seems very accurate, and the shiftlight is bright, and seems to be real accurate too.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
The Horsepower will be off if the vehicle weight is not entered accurately, remember you have to add for the tank of fuel, and if you have a friend riding with you, you need to change the weight in the G-tech.

Also, it calculates actual HP used to accelerate the car. That means that all the HP used to push through the air is dropped. You will find that HP numbers is even lower than Dynojet and Mustang dyno numbers.

I love mine as a shift light if nothing else...

But it sure is a fun little toy to wow people with :)

BBriBro

Established Member
Yes, and another point, if the tires are spinning, the HP will be off too, so if you are doing a 0-60 run or even a 1/4 mi run, that's not the best place to read HP, I think they even recommend a run in 2nd or 3rd gear, The lowest gear possible where the tires won't spin, cause like you said, if you do it in like 5th gear, you'll be going so damn fast at the top of that gear, the wind resistance will affect the reading too much.

T.Bone

Established Member
Like the others have mentioned, the numbers will not be the same as the track. It will tell you about where you are going to be before you pull up and get your slip.

But I really like mine for the shift lights and the data collected during the event. You can look at your shift points and launch RPM's once you download the data to a PC. The graph really show me where I am messing up. Still have figured out the launch with the Nittos...

I need to read up on the roll out and get mine set, I think that will help mine be more accurate.

03'Darin

Established Member
I happen to have a Beltronics FX-2 sitting at my house right now (selling for a customer/friend) that I just read through the instructions on. Besides the features that the G-Tech offers the Beltronics unit has an input for wind resistance when doing h.p. calculations (the manual tells you how to determine the wind resistance for your car.....pretty slick), all kinds of g measurements including braking, accelerating, cornering and another I don't remember.

The Beltronics unit doesn't have a shift light feature though.

I can't give you any info on accuracy of the Beltronics because he never used the unit. He got it as a Christmas gift and just decided to get rid of it.

Darin

IE Evo

Established Member
Used mine at the track and It was a heartbreaker. Ran a 1/2 second slower et but the traps read higher. The explanation for my results are more likely due to the staging tricks mentioned above and the trap being measured at the end of the 1320.

I think it's best attribute is repeatability. After making a mod if it shows a .2 second improvement, you can bet you'll see the same at the track. Mine is always off by .1 seconds (quicker than track timer), and ~3.5 mph faster than the track timer.

03RedCobra

Established Member
It's a pretty cool toy. Especially good if you go to the dragstrip alot. I like the fact that it has a pretty good shiflight.

By the way, I don't use my anymore, mainly because I bought an aftermarket shift light, and was actually selling mine. I have the complete box and instructions, and it's in perfect shape.

Would you like to possibly buy it ???

Users who are viewing this thread