Fyi, Tools That Are Needed To Do A 4.6l Cam Swap

dj94gt

Modular Fanatic
Established Member
I've been experimenting if you will on Lucas's cobra. Noone told me that the cam swap is fairly simple, IF you have the correct tools! The 4V engines require two valve spring compressors, where as the 2V only requires one. You will also need the camshaft service kit that contains the crank holding tool, camshaft lock, cam alignment tools, and tensioner.

The biggest issue is the valve spring compressors
2V only needs OTC 7928

4V needs the OTC 7928, as well as Ford Rotunda 303-452.

The OTC 7928 will only do the exhaust valves on the 4V engine.

Keep in mind these compressors are only a necessity when doing a cam swap with the heads on the engine and in the car.

For the 3V crowd, you will need tool Ford Rotunda#303-1039. You may need additional tools, but this one is a must. Now for the cheapest place on the web to buy...

https://www.fordspecialtools.com

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I've been experimenting if you will on Lucas's cobra. Noone told me that the cam swap is fairly simple, IF you have the correct tools! The 4V engines require two valve spring compressors, where as the 2V only requires one. You will also need the camshaft service kit that contains the crank holding tool, camshaft lock, cam alignment tools, and tensioner.

The biggest issue is the valve spring compressors
2V only needs OTC 7928

4V needs the OTC 7928, as well as Ford Rotunda 303-452.

The OTC 7928 will only do the exhaust valves on the 4V engine.

Keep in mind these compressors are only a necessity when doing a cam swap with the heads on the engine and in the car.

For the 3V crowd, you will need tool Ford Rotunda#303-1039. You may need additional tools, but this one is a must. Now for the cheapest place on the web to buy...

https://www.fordspecialtools.com

You don't need any of these tools for the cam swap. With the base circles up pop out the follower one by one with a flat head. Once you have the new cams in setup the timing chains. From there you repeat the process in reverse. It's possible to pop the follower back in by using the base circle of the cam.

That will get the cams setup and the car will run but you still will need to consider degreeing the cams. You can get adjustable cam gears or you grind down the keyways on the cams. You will need a degree wheel and a dial indicator. I haven't degreed a set of Cams on a modular but it should be a straight forward process.

dj94gt

Modular Fanatic
Established Member
I guess I should have labeled the title a lil different. Not trying to be an a##hole, but who would swap cams without changing the springs?

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I guess I should have labeled the title a lil different. Not trying to be an a##hole, but who would swap cams without changing the springs?

Sorry forgot. You will need the tools to do the springs. Forgot that piece.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread