Future race '00L vs. '99 cobra

Ltnstrk

Established Member
Here is the deal, My friend and I both have fast cars/trucks and tend to debate who's is actually the "leader of the pack". I know the only true way to decide is to race them but because my friend chickened out-j/k and put his car away for storage already we have no way to find out. So I ask this questions, whose do you think would win?
My mods are in my sig and I was dynoed at 430/500.He has a solid axle, nittos,4:30 and horse power mods that got him 315 rwhp on a dyno.
Thank you for your comments and when time comes around we'll be sure to post the results. Let the debates begin.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
I could argue either way. Interesting. Keep us posted. Only comparison knowledge I have is with a stock 01 L vs. my 99 and a couple other stangs.

Black Venom 99

Established Member
I am the one with the cobra. Mods are in sig but the car now has solid axle, Dyno tune with SCT programmer(no more diablo chip), and will have QA1 12-way adjustable drag shocks, and long-tube headers before the race happens. After long-tube headers car will make 320+RWHP. I will be on my second tune with a 2-step rev-limiter set at 2800-3200. I will also be on M/T ET streets along with front runners.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
The L has got 100 more HP, but weighs more than 1000 lbs than you do, so that really negates the horsepower advantage. He has it all over you in torque though.

I think it will come down to fastasltn can manage the torque and get it to the ground. Hole shot to him. Up top...dunno.

fastasltn what did you trap at?

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Hmm, should be an interesting race. The cars actually stack up quite nicely. Both are bringing in a power to weight ratio of about 10.7:1 using RWHP figures given, and dry curb weight.

With that said I think it's going to come down to what type of race it is. Short stop light to stop light, the luanch of the lightning and the big torque numbers will probaably edge out the cobra. With it's aerodynamic advantage and peaky nature, the Cobra will likely start to pull past about 60-70mph.

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
I know when I raced an 01 L spraying 75 shot, I caught him up top. We went from a 20 roll and he did not get away by any means. I am still running stock 3.27s and I have full long tube exhaust. Otherwise, pretty much stock 99 Cobra.

I think the Cobra will win even with the whole shot because of the 4.30s. If you can shift, you are gonna win. Ls are awesome, but damned pigs.

Ltnstrk

Established Member
The thing is that you guys have to take into consideration that I do not have a stock gear. When i did I would have agreed that about at 70 the cobra would have Strarted its comeback but with the 4:10 I dont really seem to have a problem at that speed. When i start to notice the weight/size affect is actually around 110

Black Venom 99

Established Member
fastasLtn said:
I dont know what I would trap at.
Tell them what you trapped at before the gear Mike. You trapped at 100 and ran a 13.50 with all your mods and minus the 4.10 gear and SCT programmer granted it was a hot day but it should have been faster than that. Your sixty foot was also a 1.8. Gears will lower trap speed and quicken your ET. I should be running low-mid twelves with a very good run on ET streets. I don't think the Lightning will pull that off, close but not the same.

97 slowbra

Banned
Black Venom 99 said:
Tell them what you trapped at before the gear Mike. You trapped at 100 and ran a 13.50 with all your mods and minus the 4.10 gear and SCT programmer granted it was a hot day but it should have been faster than that. Your sixty foot was also a 1.8. Gears will lower trap speed and quicken your ET. I should be running low-mid twelves with a very good run on ET streets. I don't think the Lightning will pull that off, close but not the same.
If you only traped 100 im goin with the cobra..But thats before a pulley right?? I think its all going to what roll you go from and if the cobra owner is a good driver..Go out and settle this.. :poke:

Black Venom 99

Established Member
97 cobra said:
If you only traped 100 im goin with the cobra..But thats before a pulley right?? I think its all going to what roll you go from and if the cobra owner is a good driver..Go out and settle this.. :poke:
Im the one with the cobra that he is running. Thats after the pulley. The guy with the Lightning is my buddy. It was a hot and humid day but he should have done better than that. He ran that with everything in his sig minus the 4.10 gear, power cooler, and SCT programmer he ran a 13.50 @100 with a 1.8 sixty-foot, which a pretty much bone-stock Lightning should run. My car is in storage so we can't line them up till the spring. We are going to go from a standstill.

Last edited:

Ltnstrk

Established Member
Just to let you guys know what Jim from JDM said,this is directly from a email he sent me when I asked his opinion of what I should run. What now ron?
Mike providing good traction with 430 at the tires Id say 12.0-12.3 pending
on 60 foot. 1.70 or better will get at least a 12.3

JimIII

Black Venom 99

Established Member
fastasLtn said:
Just to let you guys know what Jim from JDM said,this is directly from a email he sent me when I asked his opinion of what I should run. What now ron?
Mike providing good traction with 430 at the tires Id say 12.0-12.3 pending
on 60 foot. 1.70 or better will get at least a 12.3

JimIII
E-mail Jim and ask him what I would run with my mods then get back to me. You are sounding undefinite about the race because you have to keep asking Jim@JDM on what your truck will run like 5 times. You ran a 13.50 which a practically bone-stock Lightning will run pullied with supporting mods. There's no way you will drop a second and 1/2 from a little better tune, 4.10 gear, and power cooler. Jeff's vette is a 12.80-12.90 car and you had him by 2 cars at the most. That is no way in hell that you are a full second faster. I was told low twelves Mike with no tune, solid-axle, 4.30 gear, tire, or suspension work now what will it be with that added on? I was keeping up with jeff spinning. I promise you won't beat me.

Ltnstrk

Established Member
The funny thing Blackvenom99 is that I want to race how our cars sit right now. You want to add all sorts of things and you call me "undefinite" I Wouldnt talk. Does this look familiar? "and will have QA1 12-way adjustable drag shocks, and long-tube headers before the race happens. OHH CRAP THAT ISNT ENOUGH YOU KEEP GOIN...I will also be on M/T ET streets along with front runners... Sooner than later you are going to repost that you wil be running a Kenne Bell. I was talking about how you "were set up" not how you want to be set up. Either way Im game for a race.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
fastasltn there is no way you are dropping over a second of your times with the additional mods. Your truck might be capable of it, but I don't think you are (yet). This is not a slam on you at all just an observation from your prior times.

Like I said - driver's race. I believe your vehicle gives you the edge and some more wiggle room, but not enough that you can afford to screw it up.

It appears 'Benchracing SVTP Winter Edition 2005' is beginning to pick up steam.

Ltnstrk

Established Member
I also agree that the mods I have done prior to the track will not drop my truck a second. But what you should take into consideration was that I was at full weight, I did not0 drop tire pressure, and it was no joke 102 and high humidity. Ron and I are friends and the only thing I want is to race him and see what the outcome is. If I lose im not going to cry about it and ruin our friendship same thing if I win in not going to start laughing at him. I just might remind him that he promised not to lose.-j/k. I really appreciate all of your comments. Im sure one of us either Blackvenom99 or I will post the outcome. Once again thanks

Black Venom 99

Established Member
fastasLtn said:
The funny thing Blackvenom99 is that I want to race how our cars sit right now. You want to add all sorts of things and you call me "undefinite" I Wouldnt talk. Does this look familiar? "and will have QA1 12-way adjustable drag shocks, and long-tube headers before the race happens. OHH CRAP THAT ISNT ENOUGH YOU KEEP GOIN...I will also be on M/T ET streets along with front runners... Sooner than later you are going to repost that you wil be running a Kenne Bell. I was talking about how you "were set up" not how you want to be set up. Either way Im game for a race.
I will run you then without the mods listed above and still beat you. Then when I get those I will beat you even worse. The funny thing is you keep throwing mods into your truck constantly. Every month there is another 500-1000 dollars in mods added to your truck. Let me do that to my car and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread