Fuse/Power Drain Help Needed

Darknight

Established Member
I have been having an issue with my 99 Cobra's battery going dead after sitting for a 3-4 days. So after doing searches I ended up getting an ammeter.

I am testing out the power draw with the negative cable of the batter disconnected of course, and I found that when I pull the #7 fuse under the hood the power drain drop to nothing.

The problem is, the car didn't have a manual with it when I bought it and all the online manuals show that the #7 fuse is air injection for v6 only...so I'm confused.

What does this fuse go to?

Any help would be great

Thanks

2013 Laguna Seca

Laguna 2013
Established Member
If that is the correct fuse,does the car still run ok with the fuse out? Does the engine light come on if removed? If it runs fine and no engine light,leave it out if it solves your draw problem.Like you said that is for 3.8 liter only. I checked the ford wiring diagram and nothing else is on that circuit besides the air injection system. Give it a try and let us know. Post a pic of the exact fuse location if you can.

Darknight

Established Member
If that is the correct fuse,does the car still run ok with the fuse out? Does the engine light come on if removed? If it runs fine and no engine light,leave it out if it solves your draw problem.Like you said that is for 3.8 liter only. I checked the ford wiring diagram and nothing else is on that circuit besides the air injection system. Give it a try and let us know. Post a pic of the exact fuse location if you can.

Ok, so messed with the fuse some, and found out that with the fuse removed the inside lights don't come on, keyless remote, etc. doesn't work.

So I'm guessing one of the previous owners has done something to the wiring of this car. I will have to go into the underdash fuses to find the source of the power drain, since it looks like Fuse #7 leads into interior electrical now.

I took a picture of the fuse I am talking about:
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/sac811/Fuse7.jpg

And idea what is going on?

2013 Laguna Seca

Laguna 2013
Established Member
Yep sounds like a gem module drain. Make sure when you disconnect the battery to wait about 30 minutes so all the modules "will go to sleep". Your accessory delay will draw power for about 30 minutes after engine shut down. Then begin to pull inside fuses one at a time.Make sure everything is off and all doors are closed. Good luck.

Darknight

Established Member
Ok, found the 2 fuses causing the battery draw.

These are number fuse # 27 and 39 under the dash.

From what Im reading on the online manual for my car, this is the radio and GEM.

#27 If I pull the radio fuse will it just not keep memory in the radio, or will it not allow the radio to work at all?

#39 What is the GEM fuse, what does it do etc? And can I do without it, or how do I fix it?

each fuse constitutes half of the total ~260ma thats being drawn (so obviously about 130 each)

I really appreciate the help with this.

Thanks

shurur

Established Member
2001 Cobra Mustang with battery drainage problem - Ford Mustang Forums

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/150754-generic-electronic-module.html

And this is your post..I assume..but for the sake of the thread. [EDIT: didn't notice the 700+ days part]
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3c9kg-terminal-voltage-method-found-removing-fuse-39-gem-module.html

http://www.modifiedlife.com/1999-ford-mustang-car-security-wiring-diagram/

http://forums.musclemustangfastford...ussion/gem-module-draining-battery/index.html

I had a similar problem with my ranger...left the dome light on...until it finally timed out...pulled the GEM..had it reprogrammed..replaced it........turned out to be the switch in the door..also spray the door latches..

Last edited:

Darknight

Established Member
2001 Cobra Mustang with battery drainage problem - Ford Mustang Forums

Generic Electronic Module

And this is your post..I assume..but for the sake of the thread. [EDIT: didn't notice the 700+ days part]
Terminal..voltage..method and found that removing fuse 39 (GEM Module) - JustAnswer

1999 Ford Mustang Car Security Wiring Diagram

GEM Module draining battery? Page1 - Ford & Mustang Forums at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

I had a similar problem with my ranger...left the dome light on...until it finally timed out...pulled the GEM..had it reprogrammed..replaced it........turned out to be the switch in the door..also spray the door latches..

Ok sir, thank you. I think I am going to remove the black/white wire like in the first link and go from there.

Darknight

Established Member
Ok, so I still need help with my radio fuse. I have it pulled, but with it out apparently my speakers dont get power.

So are there any easy fixes to get power, but not have a draw?

2013 Laguna Seca

Laguna 2013
Established Member
Make sure the modules "have gone to sleep". your accessory delay relay is incorporated into the gem module. Have you ever had a water leak at the windshield? I have seen this happen on different Ford brands in the past. Water will get in gem module and cause all kinds of crazy things.

Could be the radio itself. I have seen many of these cause a draw. Roll drivers window down,reach in and turn key on,turn radio on and then turn key off and remove. When the radio finally goes out(sometimes can take 30 minutes) then the delay relay has shut everything down and modules are asleep. Or you can remove radio and unplug and see if the draw is still on that fuse. The radio is the likely culprit i believe.

If the draw is still there,try and locate every connector on that circuit and unplug one at a time until draw goes away. Easiest first of course. Hook up a test light(if you have one) and connect the probe end into the hot side of fuse(fuse removed) and hook the other in the other side of fuse with a paper clip or very small flathead screwdriver. Do not let the two touch. test light light up if a draw is present. will go out when draw is gone. Good luck.

Darknight

Established Member
Make sure the modules "have gone to sleep". your accessory delay relay is incorporated into the gem module. Have you ever had a water leak at the windshield? I have seen this happen on different Ford brands in the past. Water will get in gem module and cause all kinds of crazy things.

Could be the radio itself. I have seen many of these cause a draw. Roll drivers window down,reach in and turn key on,turn radio on and then turn key off and remove. When the radio finally goes out(sometimes can take 30 minutes) then the delay relay has shut everything down and modules are asleep. Or you can remove radio and unplug and see if the draw is still on that fuse. The radio is the likely culprit i believe.

If the draw is still there,try and locate every connector on that circuit and unplug one at a time until draw goes away. Easiest first of course. Hook up a test light(if you have one) and connect the probe end into the hot side of fuse(fuse removed) and hook the other in the other side of fuse with a paper clip or very small flathead screwdriver. Do not let the two touch. test light light up if a draw is present. will go out when draw is gone. Good luck.

So I have the GEM draw taken care of, but the other 130ma draw from the radio fuse is still there.

I tried what u said through the window, but the instant I turn the key to off my radio turns off. Mine is a 99 so maybe it doesn't have the stay on option after key removal yet, or maybe the previous owner messed with the electrical.

Either way, for now what would be the best way to put a fusable switch in that spot?

Just an inline fuse for one side of fuse, a wire from the other side, both leading to a switch?

godman

So I have the GEM draw taken care of, but the other 130ma draw from the radio fuse is still there.

I tried what u said through the window, but the instant I turn the key to off my radio turns off. Mine is a 99 so maybe it doesn't have the stay on option after key removal yet, or maybe the previous owner messed with the electrical.

Either way, for now what would be the best way to put a fusable switch in that spot?

Just an inline fuse for one side of fuse, a wire from the other side, both leading to a switch?

Have been at this issue for 2 days now as well. Not sure if it was always there and just noticing it after I was gone on a business trip and came back to a dead battery. I uaually drive it everyday and mabey did not notice it.

I have researched this to death, and discovered the GEM is triggered by almost anything you do, open door, trunk, pull fuse etc. This will wake it up and cause draw on the battery for almost 1 hour.

Just like you I had excessive draw 120 miliAmps on furse 27 (radio) after the GEM went to sleep.

I also discoverd that you can also just pull fuse 39 and take the GEM out of the picture completely, so you don't have to wait for an hour to test again.

I have pulled out the radio, disconected it as well as the 2 amps in the back and still get a 120 milliAmp draw.

What else would be on that circuit to disconnect ???

Is the 120 mHa normal draw? am i fussng over nothing.

Do i need to drive my car everyday to keep the battery and pull the fuse if i leave it for more than 3 days.

Anyone figure this out yet ----

:fm:

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
I know the thread is very old, but I dont want to create a new one, cause I have exactly the same problem with my 2001 Cobra. I already checked the amps and I have a draw of 0.516A and it doesnt change after an hour. I pulled some fuses and after I pulled the Fuse F for the "Instrument-Cluster and PCM" the draw dropped to 0.00A. Then I pulley the GEM fues and the draw dropped to 0.350 after that I pulled the radio fuse (Nr.27) and the draw dropped to 0.0017mA.

Now I have to check my Radio, cause I installed a aftermarket 2DIN Pioneer. It seems that I connected something wrong with my radio, but I cant turn it on when I doesnt turn the key to ON. Possible that I messed up something with the aftermarket connector, so that the amps are always on??

But there would still be the problem with the GEM which draws ~0.165Amps. I found a thread on another forum, which one single wire of one of the 5 connectors, was the cause. Any suggestions?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Does your radio have any auxiliary hook ups? I had an adapter for ipods with my first Pioneer and it would kill the battery.

agent-orange

Established Member
I have 2 audio amps which are connected to the radio, but I already disconnected the power wire to them. The ipod adapter is connected to the radio, but I have no Ipod connected to it.

I also pulled a black connector of the GEM, which I read in another forum, but the car still doesnt go to sleep. Is there a special procedure? It could also be that my GEM is broken but how can I put the GEM? Tried it yesterday, but it isnt that easy...

agent-orange

Established Member
Is the ipod adapter hooked up to a power wire? If so which one?

No, actually not. But its directly connected with the radio, its a special pioneer adapter cable, which came with the radio.

I've done some further checks and I also disconnected the dark green/white wire of this black 12 pin connector from the GEM. Now the GEM dropped from 165mA to about 114mA. The interesting part is the radio, I disconnected the radio from the harness and there is still a draw of about 260mA. What could draw 260mA from the radio fuse (27) when no radio is connected?

I dont want to install a circuit breaker, that cannot be the solution.

Edit: I just did some other checks and it looks like, that one of the stock amps was the cause for the 260mA. I disconnected it now and will check later if the car finally went into sleep mode.

Last edited:

agent-orange

Established Member
Now I have a draw of 122mA and the wont go into sleep mode. So I checked every fuse and there are only 3 fuses, where the amps go down: 39, 31 & 21. When I pull fuse 21 it goes 2-3 mA down, with fuse 21 it does 17mA down and when I pull 39 the amp meter only shows me 4mA or something like that.

What could that be? Is it possible that my GEM is just broken? I'm a bit depressed :-/

Users who are viewing this thread