Fuse Box Cover

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Kind of a dumb question but I've never had reason to remove my fuse cover. Today, I was doing something else and thought I'd take a peek. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to remove the fuse cover. There's a kind of a "squeeze" clip that removes one side but I cannot get the other side to remove. Any hints? It's an 01 if that's any help. The manual says "remove the fuse cover" but not how.

And, I've been working on cars for 50 years and have pretty much done it all so I'm not a newbie. Just don't want to break anything unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance.

wkornf

Established Member
Im pretty sure I never figured it out either and now mines a flap, but atleast it opens ;)

good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Don't think I've ever fully removed mine. No need to really. Once the one side is lifted up I can get to the fuses.

52merc

Established Member
Its fairly easy to remove the cover without damaging it. It just takes a little patience and care not to force things too much.

First, the fuse box must be lifted out of position so that the cover can be rotated far enough to remove. There are 3 tabs holding the box to its mounting bracket. If you look at the picture below, you can see a little white dot on the side of the box. Right next to it on the right you will see a tab inside a little retainer. Get a flat blade screwdriver and gently pry it out a little. At the same time, lift up gently on the box from underneath. When it releases you will hear a little click and that side of the box will lift up a little. There are two more tabs on the other side just like this one. They need to be released the same way. These are similar to some of the locks on many of the electrical connectors. It took me a few tries to get all 3 released at the same time. Then just carefully lift the box up. The wiring harnesses attached to the box will make lifting it up hard. I just rocked the box back and forth while lifting. It eventually worked free. You only need to lift it up enough to move it towards the engine, as you can see from the picture.

Fuse box 1 LR.jpg

Next you need to open the cover and rotated it around about about 100 to 120°. Then just gently pull straight back on the cover. I rocked it back and forth a few times while pulling and it came right off. The following pictures shows the hinge area an how it is open on the backside allowing it to be pulled off.
Fuse box 2 LR.jpg
Fuse box 3 LR.jpg

I hope this helps you out.

wkornf

Established Member
this is incredible! thanks for your effort

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

52merc

Established Member
If your fuse box is far enough from the inner fender, you might be able to get the cover off without having to lift it up. Now that I've taken my cover off, it is loose enough that I can pull it off while the box is in its normal position.

Users who are viewing this thread