Funny Sound

redline5.0

Established Member
So I put comp s3's in my car a month or so ago and I've had this funny random noise. It doesn't do it when you first start the car but after it runs a minute or so it will do it. Once I drive it a block or two it will then go away and not come back unless the car sits over night or at least a couple of hours. I was thinking maybe one of the lash adjusters or followers but I'm not sure. It also only appears to be doing it on the drivers side. I have all new tensioners in the motor as well and know its not them making noise either. I've got two new pullies coming for the front timing cover, thinking maybe one is acting up because I got some coolant in them, idk we shall see. If not I guess I will be replacing the followers and lash adjusters on the drivers side. Other then that I don't know what it could be, just annoying the shit out of me at this point.
[video=youtube;R2dCaFZf87o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dCaFZf87o[/video]

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Def sounds to be consistent with engine speed. Hard to tell with the speaker on my phone but could be a metal tapping noise but could also be a bearing chirp. Idk, have to hear it in person. Had a 2000 GT with a Vortech that always had a sound like this. Replaced the lash adjusters and it was still there.

redline5.0

Established Member
Ya it's a weird noise for sure. It's got a built bottom end so so I doub't it ****ed a bearing up sitting on the lift lol.

mhyjek

Established Member
So I put comp s3's in my car a month or so ago and I've had this funny random noise. It doesn't do it when you first start the car but after it runs a minute or so it will do it. Once I drive it a block or two it will then go away and not come back unless the car sits over night or at least a couple of hours. I was thinking maybe one of the lash adjusters or followers but I'm not sure. It also only appears to be doing it on the drivers side. I have all new tensioners in the motor as well and know its not them making noise either. I've got two new pullies coming for the front timing cover, thinking maybe one is acting up because I got some coolant in them, idk we shall see. If not I guess I will be replacing the followers and lash adjusters on the drivers side. Other then that I don't know what it could be, just annoying the shit out of me at this point.
[video=youtube;R2dCaFZf87o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dCaFZf87o[/video]

What kind of metal used in the pistons maybe piston slap especially since you say it goes away once hot.

redline5.0

Established Member
Nope it still does it to this day. It has to be the billet chain guides and definitely not piston slap. I've beat the shit out of it for a year now that way and 8k rpms.

Dashti

Established Member
Nope it still does it to this day. It has to be the billet chain guides and definitely not piston slap. I've beat the shit out of it for a year now that way and 8k rpms.

I have the same sound exactly coming from rear passenger side, and you it's coming front driver side, gotta be lifter or follower IMO
Also I have comp stage 3

5lho

Established Member
I have the same sound exactly coming from rear passenger side, and you it's coming front driver side, gotta be lifter or follower IMO
Also I have comp stage 3

Don't discount it just being the water pump. Thousands of F150s have this problem. Get some mechanic's ears down there and see, or pull the acc'y belt.

Dashti

Established Member
Don't discount it just being the water pump. Thousands of F150s have this problem. Get some mechanic's ears down there and see, or pull the acc'y belt.

I went to a mechanic told me could be a lifter or follower and he checked the pulleys and the belt nothing

redline5.0

Established Member
I replaced all the followers and lash adjusters and still does it. Could be the water pump as I had it in and out a lot but doubt it. I just run exhaust dumps now so I can't hear it when it's cold lol.

Dashti

Established Member
I replaced all the followers and lash adjusters and still does it. Could be the water pump as I had it in and out a lot but doubt it. I just run exhaust dumps now so I can't hear it when it's cold lol.

Thanks, now you saved me some money not to replace the lifters and lash adjuster :)

But What the heck is this sound? Driving me crazy every time I start the car

mhyjek

Established Member
I think piston slap is still relevant especially if they changed the metal of the pistons metal content will dictate how it performs and since your setup goes quite after warmup it suggests the metal is expanding and filling up the difference

Users who are viewing this thread