funny noise

saleenmark30

Established Member
I was driving my 99 cobra tonight and it started to make a funny scretching noise and I thought maybe belt. So belt dressing went on and still noise. So then I thought ac clutch or power steering. So I pulled the belt off and still noise! It is driving me nuts. And its not the throwout bearing. I hear it under the hood but it also sounds like trans noise. i tried to call my buddy who works on fords all day and he is out of town. It is driving me nuts! Now I am forced to drive my saleen explorer Xp6 lol. Which is fine but my cobra is more fun. Any help would be great I am fairly new to the sight but not to mustangs. Thanks.

saleenmark30

Established Member
It really does not change if the pedal is in like a tob. But it does change the sound when you are driving or reving. this is my first 4v. I normally have 5.0 but i wanted a change. thanks for any help you can give.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I think I have seen a post before where something to do with the timing chain tensioner going bad made that same noise. How loud is it?

saleenmark30

Established Member
It is kind of loud. If i am driving and come to a stop I can hear in the car. But it comes and goes. I have been debating on pulling the trans to see if its th tob but holding off until I am a little more sure. Its weird because it sounds high and low on the car. Does anyone know about tensioner?

saleenmark30

Established Member
Ive read a little into the past threads and none sound like the noise mine makes. I even watched some of the videos. i may try and post a video of mine to help the process. im leaning towards the tensioners but still unsure.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Serpentine belts are not supposed to get belt dressing.....ever.

Search the board for TOB and see if the symptoms match yours.

saleenmark30

Established Member
pulled trans and its the tob. Damn thing sounds like change in a tin can. Never had one this bad. it sure sounded like something else. I'm glad thats it. I just have to put exhaust, drive shaft, starter and shifter back in and I'm ready to go. Plus a oil change while its up. thanks again everyone for the help, Mark.

saleenmark30

Established Member
Put back together and still makes a noise!!! I'm bringing it to my ford guy and hope he can figure it out. I guess I'll keep driving the saleen explorer.

Last edited:

saleenmark30

Established Member
I can't bring it to him to sometime next week and so I frustrated and took another look and its a clutch or trans noise. I pulled the clutch cable off the fork and the noise was pretty much gone. But as soon as I touched the clutch fork it started to make the noise again. So I don't know if its trans or just clutch. I knew I should have put new clutch ini t while it while it was apart. But it looked fairly new. The car it 100% stock right down to the air filter setup.

saleenmark30

Established Member
Weel I figured it out. It was the flexplate rubbing on the flywheel! it had a groove in the flywheel from it. I just got done putting a new flywheel and clutch setup back in it and its all fixed. I just got a header leak on the passenger header. I'll fix that tomorrow. But am I glad that its figured out. Thanks again everyone!!! I love this site!!!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do you mean the bellhousing? An engine can only have a flywheel or a flexplate. Not one of each. The flexplate is for cars with autos.

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
Could be the pilot bearing. That is what the input shaft sits in at the center of the flywheel at the back of the motor so that may explain why it sounds like engine noise and tranny noise at the same time.

saleenmark30

Established Member
It was the shield. I put it together and everything is fine. I did replace the pilot too. I forgot to type that. But its all better short the header leak.

Users who are viewing this thread