Fun with exhaust gasses....+

TOZOVR

Established Member
Well I finally got around to doing the exhaust. This is stage one as I'm not going to do the second part until I install the Jose SHOrt Shifter and rod shift. On the car were the original mufflers...though still quiet, they had some rot finally appearing. I have state inspection so I figured I'd get the muffler situation remedied now and then finish the rest in the next few weeks. I'd like to install a performance Y pipe at that time, but we will see how funds are.

The initial plan was a single supertrapp out the drivers side/rear. 2.5" from the Y with an 18" glasspack style muffler for a resonator then to the supertrapp. Looking at different options and reading up on muffler theory etc etc I decided that dual muffler would be a quieter solution while maintaining flow. I don't want QUIET, but I figure the duals would reduce rasp better than one. So currently it's still running the stock resonator and new pipe from there back to the two SS Supertrapps. The mufflers are good for about 250 HP each so I'm covered for a while LOL.

IMG_6493.jpg

IMG_6492.jpg

and a small video clip of the sound...interesting point here, I've always loved supertrapps (I know I'm a minority) but aside from at idle, these sound JUST like my old SHO SHOp Stainless mufflers I had on my old '89. I mean uncanny. I'll try to get a driveby clip in the next day or two.

th_MOV00446.jpg

Performance-wise the car feels snappier (I have a few other odds and ends done to it...nice to see it all playing nicely together...)

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Hmm, I'd have to hear some driving clips before I make up my mind. My old 91 had some rotted mufflers... Never got around to swapping them before I sold it. My new 93 had stock exhaust when I bought it (not rotted.. sounded a billion times better), and now it's rocking some Borla's.. Sounds a TIIINY bit louder than stock. It's deeper down low mostly.

Good looking SHO. Any pics/clips of the 89?

TOZOVR

Established Member
Driving it sounds like most of the straight through style mufflers do on the SHO...weird...like an YZF R-1 on crack lol....sort of the nature of the beast with an SHO unless you go true dual and then it gets really strange LOL.

DSC00296.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

blue92

Established Member
Have you changed the rod bearings on it? And if you haven't already put an Accel coil pack on it. You'll notice a significant increase in power. Nice looking SHO reminds me of SHOMurphs track car.

MurphsTrackCar.jpg

TOZOVR

Established Member
Have you changed the rod bearings on it? And if you haven't already put an Accel coil pack on it. You'll notice a significant increase in power. Nice looking SHO reminds me of SHOMurphs track car.

MurphsTrackCar.jpg

Love SHOmurphs car.

No rod bearings yet...only 101k on the motor (110 on the car) Also have a complete 3.0 on a stand in the garage with 38k on it (juuust in case LOL!) Accell is on the list of next parts!

Here are the drive by clips....
th_MOV00456.jpg

th_MOV00458.jpg

th_MOV00457.jpg

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Nice! Makes me miss my old 91 Plus...

Where in the blue hell did you get those Yamaha badges? I want some!!

Users who are viewing this thread