Fun car for $5k

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I’d vote:

-Gen 1 or 2 MTX SHO. But you will have to be willing to wrench on it. Will be fun and turn lots of heads for the money.
-98 grand Cherokee Ltd 5.9L. Fun sleeper / tire burner suv. Will drink the shit out of fuel.
-if you want rice, 07ish Acura TL type S 6 speed...(might be a few thou over budget) Or just a 5 speed late model v6 accord... those are cheap, fun to beat on, reliable, and have decent power.
-Sn95 5.0 cobra (5-8k)
-90s 351 bronco, OJ style. But they are getting pricey.
-early to mid 90s lightning f150...might be more like 8-10k though (?)

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
A stickshift tl type s is like 15 grand and above if you can even find one. People are really proud of those cars.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
A stickshift tl type s is like 15 grand and above if you can even find one. People are really proud of those cars.

Meh, go for an automatic TL Type S then. I'd eat a turd before I paid 15 grand for one of those. Here's a cheap auto that recently ended:

upload_2019-6-5_8-43-35.png

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
If you're looking for an offroader, I'd buy something like a modded 2 door Gen 1 Explorer before I bought a Wrangler. I love those trucks...and they're cheap. This one is 9500, but it is in super condition. Nice modded ones go for 5k and less all day long.

upload_2019-6-5_9-11-54.png

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
OP, if I were you I'd decide if you are getting a car, truck, bike, ATV/UTV, something that floats, etc.

If a vehicle, a New Edge GT or an LS1 F-body would be fun. They might be ragged out, especially the F-body's, but you might find something decent.

If an off-roader, I'd look for a Jeep Cherokee or a 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner.

I'd drive the shit out of something like this:

View attachment 1577796

I like that car but damn, the guy just had to put Cobra badges on it...

bigmoose

Established Member
I've owned many different vehicles including mustangs, off road rangers and an 08 TL-S 6 speed. The most fun one I've owned was a 04 Mini Cooper S. It's eaton supercharged. Up the boost and put some sticky tires on it and it's basically an adult go kart.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Didn’t those have crazy transmission problems? I wanna say it was a design flaw that was not solved.
That was the type s based on the gen 2 tl, the 5spd auto couldnt handle the 3.5. Friend of mine went thru 3 transmissions in his. Look up honda transmission lawsuitx also impacted the odyssey back then.

AFAIK the third gen TL was not impacted

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Another good one is an IS300. Very reliable and 2JZ. Add a cheap eBay turbo kit for fun. The automatics have paddle shifters and can handle mild power just fine. If you find a manual one it will cost more than $5k.

steve-099xlt

Established Member
I currently dd a lightly modded 08 TL-S with the auto. I like it. Wanted a 6 speed car but couldn't find one for the 6 months I looked that was remotely close to me. Most of the ones I've seen are gonna still be well out of your price range.

bigmoose

Established Member
I currently dd a lightly modded 08 TL-S with the auto. I like it. Wanted a 6 speed car but couldn't find one for the 6 months I looked that was remotely close to me. Most of the ones I've seen are gonna still be well out of your price range.
That's crazy those cars are holding their value now. I didn't get any offers above $12k six years ago when I tried selling my 6 speed '08 TL-S. I ended up trading in for $14k and the car was mint.

Users who are viewing this thread