Fully built head/cam LT1 camaro vs my turbo mustang

04gtstang

Established Member
I was on my way home from work when I noticed a camaro up ahead with fat tires, and aftermarket exhaust. He wanted to play and was blipping the gas a little. Car got in between us, so a few miles up I switch lanes and do a little fly by to see if hes game. Well after I pass him, he pulls the same (didnt realize he was going until too late and he flew by....or I would have enforced the no flyby zone RULE :D)

Anyways get behind some traffic in the left lane. RIght lane clears up and he downshifts (auto) and wails on it, and cuts the person in the right lane off to get at the clear road... I give it some gas but hold back so I dont cut the person off TOO bad. So I switch lanes and jump on it in 4th gear @ 75-80. Hes about 2 cars and pulling away...until the boost comes in :banana: . By just 105-110 I have to let off it so I dont run him over :lol: . So I was thinking, ok, quick car..but nothing I cant handle. So he gives a thumbs up out the window and I do the same. But As I pass by him I notice hes messing with something in the interior...so obviously im thinking "crap now hes going to spray" . So I hit it a bit and get in front...he follows. @ about 70 in 4th gear I put 3 fingers out the window and he does the same...I count down to one and push down on it.
We both take off and this time when the boost comes in I notice im BARELY pulling him it seems :??: . So I ran it out to around 120MPH and around 100-110 staring pulling away abit...end up I guess I put another 2 cars on him or so. But it was hard to tell because my car was smoking pretty badly :lol: . Darn drain line problems with the turbos...builds up after a while and a WOT will blow it all out. :(

Anywho I follow him to a gas station and HOLY COW as soon as I pulls in I hear his GIANT cam! Thing is hitting HARD...one of those cams that even @ 1500RPM its still thumping hard lol. Not sure on CI, but it had a forged motor with a "huge" cam, and aftermarket heads. Built auto with 3.73s. He said he let out @ 110 on the last race so he wouldnt blow his tranny :??: ...just when I started pulling away..hmm.

Now here is the iffy part. He admits to having nitrous, but says hes never used it and the bottle is empty...said it was a 200 shot. Also said the car made 36XRWHP all motor and ran 11.9 @ 117MPH ALL MOTOR. So I PERSONALLY think he sprayed it...but I cant say for sure, nor how much. I also dont see him trapping with a full bolton/pullied cobra either with 36X.
SO what do you guys think?

StangJason

Established Member
I think you beat him on the spray and he was too embarrassed to admit it. At 360rwhp he may have 1/4 mile an 11.9 with slicks without the bottle but he probably knocked off a few tenths to make you believe he didn't spray on you.

RealQuick

Established Member
hmmm... did he say he had a built motor? If it is a built motor, than he most likely is 355ci with mild port work to the heads and a real conservative N/A tune (setup for nitrous). Sounds like it was all cam and not that good an engine combo unless the 360rwhp was on a mustang dyno.

What does your car run?

JDsfastGN

Established Member
it shoulda been closer to 400 rwhp with that big of a cam, even if it was just a 355.... Unless like stated it was a mustang dyno. He probably let out at 110 so he didn't go into OD at WOT or something. Ive heard the 4l60es don't like WOT 3-4 shifts but i would have assumed he had it built up to take the power so it shoulda been ok. Good run man.

METALBEAST

Best of Both Worlds
Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
The "all mighty" Heads/Cam LS1 goes down!!!

GOOD KILL! :D

It was an LT1.

Anyway, nice kill. He DEFINATELY sprayed you on the last run no doubt. I can see 360 RWHP getting him at about that time and trap at the right track.

busa boy

pos racing
Established Member
he was probably lying about using the jug but if he was indeed using a 200 shot you should have been toast.

04gtstang

Established Member
Real quick, my car runs 11.75 @ 122...and im out of gear at the end and was hot lapping. Car will go 124+ with a little more tire out back. I just noticed you have a 95 LT1 F body putting down 383RWHP....what does your car trap?

^ I agree busa...I would have been killed were he spraying a 200 shot lol. Oh and I just reread my post...forgot to mention that he had a passenger also...Guy about 165#s.
Another possablility is that his bottle may have been low on pressure and was indeed spraying a 200 shot but ran out at the end lol...and with low pressure wasnt giving the power it needed???

Oh and when I went to the track and ran my time...a guy with a 493RWHP pullied/ported cobra was trapping between 116-118. I just dont see that camaro trapping right with that guy...his car was VERY fast. I wasnt pulling him very hard..but definatly harder than that camaro.

Slo3kgtVtr

Established Member
A mild cam LT1 puts down 315-340rwhp, with more aggressive in the high 300's....he was outmatched from the get-go.

JDsfastGN

Established Member
04gtstang said:
Oh and when I went to the track and ran my time...a guy with a 493RWHP pullied/ported cobra was trapping between 116-118. I just dont see that camaro trapping right with that guy...his car was VERY fast. I wasnt pulling him very hard..but definatly harder than that camaro.

Your car runs strong man. Woulda been a good run on the 200 shot if it turned out he wasn't spraying. 124 is strong. 493 for that cobra and 116-118 is weakkkkk though lol.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
The "all mighty" Heads/Cam LS1 goes down!!!

GOOD KILL! :D
Carefull...don't wet your pantys too much...it was an LT1. :lol:

Hmmm GM847/CC306 or a custom grind... if it was really thumping it might have been a custom grind because my CC306 was a really rapid thumping and the GM847 cam is pretty close to the same (but makes more power).

I dunno about him making 360rwhp because with Cam only my LT1 was right at 350rwhp with the CC306 and headers (head flow limited :( ). With ported heads and the CC306 (and naturally a good tune) I would have been well past 360rwhp...

XXXsaint69XXX on CZ28.com (might have mispelled his name slightly) ran 12.3/12.4 @ 114~115mph with his CC306 Cam only setup...

I would be curious to find out what this guy really had.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
JDsfastGN said:
it shoulda been closer to 400 rwhp with that big of a cam, even if it was just a 355.... Unless like stated it was a mustang dyno. He probably let out at 110 so he didn't go into OD at WOT or something. Ive heard the 4l60es don't like WOT 3-4 shifts but i would have assumed he had it built up to take the power so it shoulda been ok. Good run man.

I had a 2200.00 rebuild on my 4L60E and went into 3 to 4 WOT a rediculous amount of times with no issue...from the factory that is the weakest link but most people get that fixed. I would hope if he was modded heavily he would have done the same. :)

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I raced a 383-heads/cam stroker LT1 last year. On motor I pulled two cars, as soon as he hit the gas, (175 shot) he reversed it and pulled 2+ cars on me. A 200 shot will make a big difference. He might have sprayed you but had real low bottle pressure so he neglected to say anything at all.

Nice kill.

04gtstang

Established Member
S8er your car was an auto also?
He told me that it had a "built" auto in it with a 3200 stall, so im assuming it was supposed to be tougher than stock??? Still seems weird that he went PAST 110MPH on the first run and then the second he didnt.

If I ever see him again, ill see what exactly he had. He seemed a fairly POd and dint hang around for very long at all lol. So I just got in all the questions I could think of.

And nice kill/loss SB03. I think our cars are about even power/weight wise..so I agree that his car wasnt seeing a full 200HP increase at all. 550+RWHP>479 lol. But it was a good race none the less :)

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
My old LT1 was auto .. the 01 I have now is M6... The stocker 4L60E was pretty weak and I toasted mine while stock...lasted 4 years without issue after the rebuild and MANY strip/street races. :)

He probably cut off early on the 2nd run because he knew he couldn't hang. :) I am sure he was pissed...I've encountered many people who either take it like a man should or throw a fit and take off and never talk to you again.

Users who are viewing this thread