full suspension

mustangmike01

Established Member
im thinking of taking out my airride. the brain is done and its like 2k in parts and its the same i have now.So im thinking of doing full Suspension. I want the car to handle like its on rails!! but still feel good. not so stiff. I do not think this is going to happen though. this is what i put together real fast. no idea on spring rates and stuff. I would call up mm. is anybody runing this set up or close to it, pros an cons would be great. Im looking for a street track setup not a drag or street drag set up.

MM 03-04 Cobra Strut Tower Brace for Whipple and KB cars (Black)

Maximum Motorsports 4-Point K-Member Brace

Tokico 99-04 Mustang D-Spec Adjustable Front Strut

MM 99-04 Front Coil Over Kit with Springs for Koni/Tokico Struts

Maximum Motorsports 96-04 Mustang K-Member (4.6L Engine)

MM 96-04 Front Control Arms Non-offset-Standard

I know this is the front only. still looking at what to do for the back.

or how about this crazyness
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_68&products_id=1040

Thanks

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
None of the stuff you listed will improve the handling to the exten your looking for.

First item on your list should be AC427's delrin rear A-arm bushings.

The stock Bilsteins are pretty good shocks and I would stick with those.

PHP toe link bar$

Ford Racing delrin front A-arm bushings

MM steel CC plates

Global West sub-frame connectors.

MM coilovers kit and Hyper springs

Relocate battery to the trunk

Mischlin PS-2 pilots

That's good for starters. I'm sure I left out a thing or two.

mustangmike01

Established Member
sorry I have subframes installed and MM steel CC plates. The airide replaced the spring front and rear and the rear shock. And keep in mind this is a 01 gt.

thanks

mustangmike01

Established Member
Ok guys is anybody on here running that setup or close to it? So im i looking at this right? if i get that kit there is no springs?

I know I have to call mm and go over eveything, and everything I want.

thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
sorry I have subframes installed and MM steel CC plates. The airide replaced the spring front and rear and the rear shock. And keep in mind this is a 01 gt.

thanks

GT

............better add "IRS" to your list LOL

There is no shortage straight line Terminator drivers who would gladly swap their IRS for your stick axle. Most don't understand what they are loosing is more then they are gaining. Hang out in the driveline section and some noobe who just bagged himself a Termination first order of business is to ditch the Cobra rear suspention and will do it for almost nothing :nonono:

That would be a great mod on a GT and you end up with a better balanced car way better then a Cobra. That is a formula for a pretty ferocious handling car :eek:

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Mike,

Assuming that you have swapped an IRS into the car, the easiest thing to do is start off with a kit such as the one below and make changes to it.

2003-04 Mustang Cobra Maximum Grip Box [GB-11] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

In your case, we would change the STB to an MMSTB-8 since you have a Whipple on the car, remove the c/c plates and subframe connectors since you already have them. Add the appropriate struts and shocks to the kit. In your case, I would add higher strength inner tie rods for the IRS due to the power level of the engine. Under high acceleration, the rear toe will change some from the flexing in the inner stock tie rods.

The IRS parts in this kit will fix all of the issues in the rear end. The k-member, FCAs and c/c plates in the front will fix the geometry in the front allowing you to run the car with a lower overall ride height and give the car good ride quality, with excellent handling.

Assuming that you still have a solid axle in the rear, the kit that you linked in your first post is a good starting point, but it would need some changes also.

Whatever you do, don't install a k-member, FCA, etc with revised suspension geometry in the front and leave the rear suspension stock. With the amount of power your car has, the result would be an oversteering nightmare.

Teej281

Established Member
IRS swap should be done!!! I did the swap in my car with full tilt boogie racing bushings and MM c/o's. Rears are in and fronts go in Saturday morning and I can't wait!!! Spring yields a MM k member and a-arms and that's it for suspension for me. Then comes kenne...if you know what I mean. :D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Before you make a final decision on what suspension manufacturer you want to go with I suggest you explore your options because there are options out there!

You will find what many SVTP members have already discovered and that is you can get an improved quality IRS kit and save some of your hard earned money at the same time. All you need to do is check the link in my sig.

Let me know if you have any questions.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread