Full Exhaust install

19ClearCobra96

Established Member
well this is an estimate I got for an exhaust install and I was just wondering if that is outrageous because I think it is a little high. Also I was thinkin I could just have them install the headers and hve my car towed home and I install the mid and catback myself. What do you all think?
546380_53_full.jpg

Ive seen other places that have magnaflow products a lot cheaper, I just cant remember right now, ill make sure and post on here when i do though, i was gonna get magnaflow awhile back but I've gotta be diff:) see sig:-D

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
It seems high. Do it yourself, If you have a wrench, some bolts, and invite some friends over to give you a hand you should be fine. The headers might be harder but like you said if you can't do those have someone put them in and just DRIVE IT HOME... :rockon:

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
Your getting screwed IMO. I wouldn't spend that much and I would also do it myself. Hell the headers are the hardest part but unless they are long tubes do it yourself!

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Just have them do the headers, if that. I drove my car for a week open headers. Ill never pay someone to do what I can. The rest is super easy and can be done in an afternoon with one more set of hands.

The onlything, like most shops, when you buy stuff and have them put it in, they generally give you a good price. Like me old boss, they didnt even seperate the product from the labor charges. Best thing to do is call and see what they will sell the product out right....

Even if the price isnt that much of a difference from the mid pipe to the catback, Id still do it myself. Its all about the blood, sweat and tears....

Labora

Is that a Fobra?
Established Member
Damn for 1800 you should be looking at a used supercharger or something. Not just a full exhuast! Just me...

I'd get the headers installed (longtubes are a PITA), the x pipe I would put on myself, as well as the catback. Its pretty simple.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Stangnet or Partshopper.com has the best prices I have found on Magnaflow. I don't think the price is high onthe x or catback if it includes labor. The $350 for labor on the header install is high, especially if on a 94-95 with a 5.0 engine. The JBA's are high, I would go with FRPP ceramic coated. I put JBA's nickel plated on my old 86 cause the ceramic were another $100. I could have got FRPP's w/ceramic coating for the same price as the nickel plated JBA's. And to be honest, I don't think JBA's give that much of an improvement with their collector as they claim.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
My older car was a 90GT. With the newer style, the x-pipe will take you about an hour with organization (tools, comfort, what not) and clean up. Its ridiculously easy if you have a jack and a set of wrenches. The passenger side header-to-pipe bolt always seems to be a bitch on whatever car I work on. Definitely gonna have to use a socket for those. Other than that, you can do it more or less with your eyes closed. Make sure you tighten everything down though, 'cause exhaust leaks are a major pain in the ass. Air tools help here.
That price is ridiculous to me. I've always noticed that the JBA headers are redonkulously expensive, and I haven't heard any remarkable things about them. You can get a catted Bassani x-pipe for half that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sounded the same as the Magnaflow. The catback on the other hand is preference. Flowmaster, although not the best flowing, sounds the best on any Mustang. I'd have to say Bassani comes in next. My opinion though, everyone likes their own thing....

Here is some sound clips:
http://www.mustangexhaust.com/4.6sounds.htm

I'm quite partial to the Bassani in some of these.

I had Dynomax Race Magnums before my flows and I was quite happy to ditch them for the sound of the Flowmaster 2 chamber

98Vobra

Established Member
I think 1,800 for all parts and labor is not a bad deal at all, I paid 600 for my Bassani Headers and 400 for install, that is 1,000, then the bassani x-pipe I paid $200 used, they put it on free when the headers were installed. that is 1,200. Then I paid $240 for a used Bassani cat-back and put that on my-self so that puts me at 1,440 for all my exhaust and labor. and my x-pipe with cats and cat back are used (1 year old look new) so you are paying 1,800 for the headers, X-pipe, and Cat-back all new with install for 1,800. I think that is a great deal. If most guys add up what they spent on full exhaust they would think the same, but the first thought you have is that 1,800 seems high.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
I would def have them install the LTs. After that it should be a breeze. Hell with long tubes you dont need swivels and extensions to get to the midpipe. If you do the Magnaflow catback yourself, make sure you hang everything on their respective hangers first, then twist the pipes around as needed. I learned that the hard way. Magnaflow should have welded the pipe coming from the midpipe onto the mufflers. That's what threw me off the most, I had those things pointing the wrong way.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
doubletrouble said:
That's what threw me off the most, I had those things pointing the wrong way.
:lol:

98Vobra is right, the prices seem more than fair, but its still something Id like to do myself.

Users who are viewing this thread