Fuel Vapor Canister

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
I read over on the Corral that the lines connecting to the fuel vapor canister tend to crack causing a raw fuel smell in the passenger side of the engine bay. Sure enough, I can smell it just enough to notice it and when I took off my inner fenderwell, some of the lines do need to be replaced, which I'll be doing later today. Just the rubber hoses are worn and everything else is intact.

My question is this. There is a line that runs from the canister towards the front of the car and is open at the end of it. It's hard to see unless the fenderwell is off but is visible if you were looking up from underneath the car on the passenger side. The line ends and is held in place by a plastic piece attached to the body. Is this supposed to be open like this or should I cap it off? I'm just wondering if it was attached to the smog pump which I no longer have, or something else.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
SinisterSTANG said:
I read over on the Corral that the lines connecting to the fuel vapor canister tend to crack causing a raw fuel smell in the passenger side of the engine bay. Sure enough, I can smell it just enough to notice it and when I took off my inner fenderwell, some of the lines do need to be replaced, which I'll be doing later today. Just the rubber hoses are worn and everything else is intact.

My question is this. There is a line that runs from the canister towards the front of the car and is open at the end of it. It's hard to see unless the fenderwell is off but is visible if you were looking up from underneath the car on the passenger side. The line ends and is held in place by a plastic piece attached to the body. Is this supposed to be open like this or should I cap it off? I'm just wondering if it was attached to the smog pump which I no longer have, or something else.

My guess is that the open hose "could" be the vent to the atmosphere. The charcoal/purge canister receives fuel vapor when the fuel expands in the tank. It also filters air that replaces the fuel as the fuel level drops. Once the expanding fuel vapor is filtered through the canister it is deemed acceptable (emissions wise) to be vented to the outside world, the atmosphere. Some of the vapor gets sucked back into the engine to be burned while the engine is running, but while the car is sitting, like in a parking lot at work and the fuel expands (like on a hot day) the vapor vents to the atmosphere after being purged/filtered in the carbon canister.

R

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Based on the thread Ciotti posted, it is supposed to be that way and is just a vent, thanks.

Now, can I just pull off the worn hoses and replace them or is there anything I need to do before removing them?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread