Fuel system for e85!! Help!!

2quicksvt

Established Member
Ok guys I know there are dozens of threads for switching to e85. But I just wanna make sure I can't utilize my current set up before I spend like 2 grand on a fuel system. I have a 2.3 Whipple with dual ford gt fuel pumps an a Fore precision fuel hat. My question is should I buy a new fuel system for e85 an be done or can I use what I have to save alittle money. I already have 80pd injectors waiting to go in. Eventually I wanna upgrade to a 3.4 but for this year I would like to run the e85 on the 2.3 an see what happens. Thanks guys

Mystic03

Established Member
been there done that..."built" up my returnless for my 2.2 in prep for e85...dual fpdms....dual ford gt's upgraded line rails..and fore hat...STILL maxed out the fuel system just go full return with walbro 465's and be done with it!

FordEvangelist

Established Member
me, too. I tried a beefed up returnless system but ended up going to a return style with the Walbro 465's and that solved all my fuel supply problems.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I am still running returnless. I never really got wrapped up in the return game. I just dont see why returnless cant make the power.

Currently I have 3 gt pumps, 3 fpdm's, -8 feed, stock 03 rails, 80's. My turbo car makes 745/770 on 91/torco mix at 16* on a mustang dyno. Some poeple think this is really close to 800 on a dynojet. So far, I have plenty of room left.

I have already ordered bosch 105's and now I plan to switch the pumps to the new walbro "improved" gt pumps. They are rated for e85.

Hopefully all goes well, and I have plenty of overhead for the e85. I think we will be able to pull over 20* and the power should pull up past 800.

JeremyH

Established Member
The problem with beefed up returnless setups and e85 is the volume, you are moving so much more fuel which makes pulsing the pumps more challenging. Your pcm is trying to maintain rail pressure not volume. This is where a mechanical regulator in a return setup will shine. Make it way easier to tune as well, no pressure drops or spikes to worry about from ramping the pumps up and down etc.

I was running dual 340lph pumps with dual fpdms, ugraded line,filter rails etc and I went return prior to tuning on corn. Had I been going for 750-800rwhp on pump gas I would have stayed returnless though. It has its pro's for a street car.

What I did to make by high volume e85 return setup street friendly is go to a staggered pump setup with a fore fc3 controller. At key on only one 340lph pump runs for idling/cruising and then my second 465lph pump comes on with a hobbs switch only when I need it in boost.

Those 2 pumps will outflow triple ford gt pumps. I also have bosch 1000cc injectors and maxed them out around 800rwhp on corn, im running a stock 40psi base pressure. So I backed boost down and settled for 766rwhp with a few more degrees of timing. Next time I change something up im going to up the base pressure to 50psi to get a tad more out of the injectors and hit 800rwhp safely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread