Fuel Strap Bolts

MustangMac

May be a crazy question, but does anyone know whether the bolts holding the fuel tank straps on the '08 Shelby come out under the rear seat or in the trunk area? I'm trying to install a new Upper Control arm mount and those strap bolts are winning. I thought if I could spray a little WD-40 on the bolts and let them soak, that may loosen them a little. I'm not at home now, so I cannot walk out and look, but it's been bugging me all day.

I think the head on one of them is stripping out as well, so it looks like it's going to be a long process getting them out enough to lower the tank.

Thanks in advance for the help.

HKusp

Established Member
I am no help on the main question but WD40 is not a penetrant. It doesn't help break loose stuck bolts. It is a lubricant and it displaces water on electrical components (hence the "WD", Water Displacement designation in WD 40). I would get something like PB blaster. Let it soak a day or so.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
May be a crazy question, but does anyone know whether the bolts holding the fuel tank straps on the '08 Shelby come out under the rear seat or in the trunk area?

I have had mine out a hand full of times, and I don't believe they penetrate the interior of the car at all, but positioning is more under the rear seat than trunk. Looking at the attached picture of my car, there may be access holes where you can apply penetrating oil to the threads. An oversized T50 Torx (50IP) Snap-On part# FTX50TPE is the correct tool for the job. Good luck!

IMG_1952_1.jpg

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
I have had mine out a hand full of times, and I don't believe they penetrate the interior of the car at all, but positioning is more under the rear seat than trunk. Looking at the attached picture of my car, there may be access holes where you can apply penetrating oil to the threads. An oversized T50 Torx (50IP) Snap-On part# FTX50TPE is the correct tool for the job. Good luck!

View attachment 1809321

Yes Torx Plus 50IP is what you need. I have the snap-on... If you don't want to spend $50 there is now an option on Amazon for $9.

Users who are viewing this thread